Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT

Posted by Tiger1 on 10/10/04 at 15:31 (161250)

I have just had my first session of ESWT as i suffer from chronic plantars fasciitis in both feet for over four years now. However, I now find that the muscles in the back of my legs are unbearably sore and the burning sensation which had abated is now back with a vengence and all this worries me. Are these normal side effects after this treatment. My 2nd session is in two weeks time, but i am reluctant to attend for this session.

Re: ESWT

Dr. Z on 10/10/04 at 19:08 (161260)

Hi Tiger 1
So you have low energy sonocur treatment? No anesthesia? No ultrasound? Please give me additional information about you equimpment treatment so I can help you

Elizabeth Y. on 10/11/04 at 12:33 (161286)

The calf muscle pain lasted ~one week, Tiger, after ESWT treatment for me...and then passed. The following technique worked (out of necessity!)when shopping last weekened created additional muscle and heel pain. (But check with your medical professional first!)

Try reclining the front seat of your automobile and placing your bare foot against the cool windshield glass. (The real issue is what the neighbors will be thinking..ha!) Hold your foot flat against the slant of the glass with knee bent and GRADUALLY straighten your leg and hold for ~15 seconds. Relax for 30 seconds and repeat four times. It will be tight and a bit painful to straighten at that angle, but your calf and quad muscles will feel wonderful afterwards!

Let me know if it works for you...haven't had the muscle/hip socket pain since. I am doing this regularly and the cool glass feels great on that firey heel.

Tiger1 on 10/13/04 at 12:27 (161423)

I have had every treatment under the sun i.e. ultrasound, cortisone, anti-inflammatories, rubs, acupuncture, massage, herbal medication, you name it i;ve had it. I found out about ESWT thru the internet and have had my first session a week ago, but I am ten times worse now. The burning sensation is back in BOTH feet. My ankles are swollen, and my legs, ache, up to my knees. This burning sensation had eased somewhat, of its own accord until the ESWT. I also had a horrendous pain in my calf muscles after the treatment. I am very depressed now, because I was relying on the ESWT as a last resort. I have also had night splints, physio etc etc. So what left. I can't even stand in comfort. Oh to be able to walk just a few yards without pain. Tiger

Tiger1 on 10/13/04 at 12:39 (161426)

I have had every treatment under the sun i.e. ultrasound, cortisone, anti-inflammatories, rubs, acupuncture, massage, herbal medication, you name it i;ve had it. I found out about ESWT thru the internet and have had my first session a week ago, but I am ten times worse now. The burning sensation is back in BOTH feet. My ankles are swollen, and my legs, ache, up to my knees. This burning sensation had eased somewhat, of its own accord until the ESWT. I also had a horrendous pain in my calf muscles after the treatment. I am very depressed now, because I was relying on the ESWT as a last resort. I have also had night splints, physio etc etc. So what left. I can't even stand in comfort. Oh to be able to walk just a few yards without pain. Tiger

Tiger1 on 10/13/04 at 12:39 (161428)

Tiger1 on 10/13/04 at 12:47 (161430)

Thanks for the tip. Will give the exercise a try, and who cares about the neighbours! All I want is a little bit of relief, if only for a while.