Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel or PF or Both???

Posted by Holly S on 10/11/04 at 19:40 (161302)

I have been receiving treatment for a very inflamed PF. The morning discomfort is nearly gone and I keep my foot taped, wear shoes in the shower and never go barefoot. My concern is that I still have this numbness in my heel to touch it and when I stand in one place for very long I have excruciating pain. I seem to tolerate walking a little better than standing still. When I do stop and rest then I have like spasms or shooting pain in my foot. My podiatrist mentioned offhand that I may have a tarsal tunnel. I have been walking with a walker for over a month and trying to keep the weight off the foot as much as possible but I am a nurse and so this can't go on forever. I am only 35 and am really scared that this may become disabling to me. How do you know it is tarsal tunnel vs PF?

Re: Tarsal Tunnel or PF or Both???

Dr Ben Pearl on 10/11/04 at 19:50 (161306)

TTS is largely a clinical diagnosis.
A nerve conduction test may not be definitive but it can sometimes suppot an uncertain clinical picture.