Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Info for Runners

Posted by Maurice Du Monde on 10/12/04 at 06:14 (161321)

I visited a physical therapist and he's diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis.

I've laid off running becuase it's been too painful (for a couple of months now). Sometimes, just after spending a long time on my feet, my heel begings to hurt again.

I miss the running so much I'm about to start again and just deal witih the
pain.

Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from the ice, the tape, the inserts?

It would be greatly appreciated. tks, mdm

Re: Info for Runners

Linda V on 10/12/04 at 09:15 (161327)

You don't seem to understand PF. The biggest treatment recommended is REST. If you continue to run, you may be prolonging your healing for a much longer period of time. I know its hard to be inactive. Thats we have the social support board. None of us like to have to sit around watching the rest of the world be active, but we encourage each other to grin and bear it..and rejoice when one of us starts healing. Stick with this message board, read Scotts book online, get educated, and best of luck.

Annette on 10/13/04 at 07:33 (161396)

I know how you feel, I have been going through it for years and miss running so much that I think I will go crazy one of these days! I would go back and forth trying to take some time off to heal until I couldnt stand it any longer and would run. Well it's 2004 and I am still not racing but my pattern is still the same. The longest stretch of time that I have taken off from running is 6 months(very hard to do) , and that is after I had ESWT done twice and now I am on another 6 month stretch because I had ESWT done in Sept,I dont expect anything to change but I am still hopeful, I believe that it could be possible.
My PF began in 1999 after running Boston, I qualified again for the next year but my PF was so bad I just couldnt do it. I have still run but not anywhere near the rigorus training that I was involved with to race and run marathons.
What I found worked best when I 'had' to run is heat my foot up first, tape it good and wear an extra gel insert for my heels (it helps) and then when I am done, ice immediatly and then again later on because your foot will hurt, sometimes worse than others. Then I feel bad for hurting and damaging my foot. a crummy cycle but it keeps my sanity going for a little while.
many of my running friends healed with in a year with just a new orthotic, but it's not so easy for me I guess.
I bike, swim, weight train, and kyack, so I keep busy, but there is nothing like a great run!
Good luck and try to stay off you feet as much as you can, it really is the best cure.

Elyse B on 10/13/04 at 08:18 (161399)

I feel your pain as the same thing is happening to me. I run, stop, run again. Orthotics don't seem to be the answer for me as they really bug my feet.

Tina H on 10/13/04 at 08:21 (161401)

It's true that there is nothing like a good run. And for those of us who had to give it up permanently, there really is a mourning period to go through. The closest thing I've found to the 'runners high' is a vigorous spinning class. Try that if you haven't, maybe you'll enjoy it. Lots of us sympathize!!! Hope you'll win this battle. Tina

R C on 10/13/04 at 10:12 (161407)

I would strongly urge that you hold off running again until the PF is fully resolved, and that you have taken effective measures to prevent a relapse. If you do continue to run, the risk is that the PF may become chronic and intractable - imagine having it the rest of your life - it's just not worth it.

john h on 10/13/04 at 10:19 (161409)

Amen! to what RC states. I was a runner all my life and kept on running with PF. Now, I have not been able to run in 8 years. You may only get 1 or 2 good shots at curing this beast so do not blow it.

Mary on 10/13/04 at 11:59 (161419)

Gosh...i feel your pain Maurice..i can't give up running, it's just so hard. i took 6months off from running(got so depressed ) hoping that the pain would go away and it did go away for a while but when i started training harder for marathons it just came back. had x-rays done,MRI's and its weird the podiatrist always told me that theY couldn't find anything wrong with me..I kept running thinking that i didn't had plantar fascitis,,but now i guess i do...my heel doesn't hurt though, only the bottom and the ball of my foot. i've try everything but things work for a short period of time....but i'm gonna listen to my body from now on,its not worth it hurting yourself more, i rather stop now, then stop for ever. Good advice from everyone!!

Elyse B on 10/13/04 at 14:25 (161438)

Mary that is so funny, I have had negative MRI's, negative ultrasounds etc. and they cannot figure out what it is. I have tried to run through this because there has been no diagnosis. Not even sure that stopping now will make it better forever. My heels never ever hurt, I have pain in my arches and it is more of a burning and tingling feeling. Orthotics have not helped so far...

Mary on 10/13/04 at 15:59 (161439)

Wow, Elyse---You're talking about me---That is too funny....but so depressing at the same time! i've seen so many doctors--and they just can't figure out what i have! Orthotics did helped me alittle bit, but for a very short period of time it seems that somebody just did like a bad spell on my foot so it would never heal--by the way which foot are you hurting--mine is the right one!

Annette on 10/14/04 at 08:22 (161479)

Hi Mary,
I have stopped for long stretches in the past 5 years, and I can say that my feet are not too bad when i dont run, except a pain at the end of the day if I am on my feet too much (very bearable though) but as soon as I start running for a few days and then try to up it to 6 miles, my feet hurt pretty bad (putting me in the most miserable depression) so then I stop again. But I also feel that if I decided to stop running forever, I think that I would still have PF, I just dont think that it will eventually heal. Oh well. the only thing that I have found that really satisfies me is moutian bike riding, tried just about everything else.
good luck

Annette on 10/14/04 at 08:34 (161480)

I have tried 3 different pairs of Custom orthotics and they felt ok until the last pair started causing lumps in the fascia under my arch, so I stopped wearing them. For five years I have run and stopped, run and stopped and run and stopped, but I have to say each year I bother less and less, I run hardly at all compared to the 40 plus miles I used to put on my feet. Now I just sit back and watch my sister run marathon after marathon with P.R after P.R. (including boston every year) I truly am happy for her but I also want to flush my head down the toilet! Not to mention all of those runners on the side of the road skipping along, who dont even really care about it. Now everytime my 3 boys see a runner on the road they blurt out 'stupid runners'
wonder where they got that from?
wow that turned into a small pity party didnt it? I havent done that in a while...sorry. I better get my bike out today!
take care

Annette on 10/14/04 at 08:41 (161481)

Hi Tina,
I tried, but just couldnt get into spinning classes but Mountian bike riding is a pretty close 2nd to running as far as enjoyment and workout goes, so I try to get on my bike as much as I can, It's still not as conveinent as running because with running you can just run out the door, with mountian biking I try to find a partner because I dont like to go into the woods alone. in the winter I hook my road bike up to a trainer and spin in the house, it's boring but it does the trick I guess.
I am glad that you found something that you enjoy, it is so very important.
peace

Annette on 10/14/04 at 08:42 (161482)

Hi Tina,
I tried, but just couldnt get into spinning classes but Mountian bike riding is a pretty close 2nd to running as far as enjoyment and workout goes, so I try to get on my bike as much as I can, It's still not as conveinent as running because with running you can just run out the door, with mountian biking I try to find a partner because I dont like to go into the woods alone. in the winter I hook my road bike up to a trainer and spin in the house, it's boring but it does the trick I guess.
I am glad that you found something that you enjoy, it is so very important.

Mary on 10/14/04 at 14:16 (161509)

Hey Annette
Thanks for the Advice, You know i also enjoyed Mountain Bike Riding too, that's actually fun too, i better start doing that and give my legs a break, before those pains get out of control! But you know how runners are!

Cyndi on 10/15/04 at 09:42 (161575)

Mary and Elyse, My second POD did MRI, bone scan and also could find Nothing wrong. He finally did a second Nerve conduction including back with needles and found nerve damage there. He said it is all the same nerve to the foot. Wierd I know, the pain was in foot!

Run, I would be happy to just dance with Ellen!