Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Repetitive Use Injury and Massage

Posted by Dorothy on 10/14/04 at 02:48 (161474)

There have been discussions here about massage and its possibilities for people here. Following is an excerpt from a piece about a renowned pianist who is once again playing with two hands - after almost 30 years:

In 1952, Leon Fleisher won the Queen Elisabeth of Belgium competition and a brilliant career opened up for him. But in 1965, when he was only 37, he had to give up concert work. Intensive daily practice sessions had paralyzed his right hand. This tragic moment transformed Fleisher's vocation. 'Suddenly I realized that the most important thing in my life wasn't playing with my two hands: it was music,' he told La Scena Musicale. From then on, teaching assumed greater importance for him, both at Baltimore's Peabody Institute and Philadelphia's Curtis Institute. He explored the repertoire for left hand and began conducting as well. Since 1995, due to his determination and to a deep massage technique called Rolfing, his hand has become progressively more flexible. Fleisher has now returned to the classical concert circuit and hopes to recover the full use of his right hand.

Re: Repetitive Use Injury and Massage

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/14/04 at 21:38 (161550)

Dorothy:

Rolfing is a massage technique that if one looks at all the variability is as close to 'a whole other thing' that one can get. Ida Rolf, who intitiated the process, felt that fascial planes (the connective tissue covering of body parts) can actually be infleunced to change shape with sufficient external pressure applied. I have had Rolfing done on my back.
It is a bit painful but found it to be helpful.

The other 'can of worms' that is not really being opened is the question:
'Is plantar fasciitis a repetitive stress injury?' Some don't WANT to know the answer to this because IF the answer is 'yes' then we have entered into a whole new area of worker's compensation claims...
My personal experience with over 23 years of seeing 'injured' workers with PF is that the answer is indeed 'yes' and am willing to tesitify to that when the circumstances support the diagnosis.
Ed