Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cortizone shots

Posted by Mia on 10/14/04 at 11:21 (161494)

Yesterday I was called into the dr. office to have a cortizone shot in the perneal nerve in the foot. He inserted the needle into 3 different areas that we agreed were the main areas of my pain. Anyway, I don't think the shot helped at all. How quickly should they work? If this didn't work we plan on going ahead with the surgery as scheduled in 2 weeks. Please help me with some more info on the cortizone shots.

Mia

Re: cortizone shots

Dr. Z on 10/14/04 at 16:53 (161520)

Hi Mia,
What is the reason for local injections into the peroneal nerve.? What type of surgery is being offered to you.?

Re: Cortisone Shots and Surgery

Darlene on 10/14/04 at 17:20 (161524)

Dr. Z.

I was told that there is a certain wait time between cortisone shots and surgery because the cortisone inhibits healing. Is that right?

Mia on 10/14/04 at 19:20 (161536)

They are offering Tarsal Tunnel Release Surgery. The reason for the shot was that the main nerve compression is in the peroneal nerve on the top of my foot. Results of a crash injury! Normally with what they are seeing with me - you would normally have some sort of back injury or some problems in the knee as well? My doctor wanted to try a cortizone shot before surgery and see if I might get some releif. To make a long story short.....The Dr.'s at the practice I go to had a meeting yesturday morning and discussed my case more as a group. After their meeting I got a call asking me to come into the office to have the injection done. I went in and had it done and was told to keep a diary for a week until I come back into the office next week. They are hoping to not have to cut my foot open on top, because of the scarring issue and not being able to tolorate wearing certain shoes down the road. Which I'm glad the Dr. is concerned about the little things as well - LOL!
Anyway, its an experiment and the surgery is still set for the 28th of Oct. At this point, I'm sure we'll still go ahead with it as planned. Actually, I didn't get any releif from the cortizone injection....nor did I think I would, but it was well worth a try instead of surgery.
Is this normal for Dr.'s to do with their patients? I can say 'until I went into see the dr. for the shot and he explained more why he was doing it in the first place....he wasn't aware of the fact that I also had some nasty bruises on my knees following the accident. And also have some Popping sensations in my knee occationally.'
I'm guessing the Doctor knows best and that he's looking out for my best interest. If the surgery can be prevented, he will take that route. But things aren't looking promising!
Do you have any suggestions or concerns? I would like to hear any advice you may have for me. Thanks again for your time!

Mia

Re: Cortisone Shots and Surgery

Mia on 10/14/04 at 19:21 (161537)

I was never told that, but would like to know as well. Mmmmm.....Good question Darlene.

Mia

Darlene on 10/15/04 at 08:13 (161565)

Mia:

Did they check for a Tinel's sign on the outside of your knee? That's a common area of peroneal entrapment. If that was the case they would release the nerve at that point.

Darlene