Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by scott r on 10/14/04 at 17:58 (161532)

If i had a nickel for every time a new treatment claimed '90% success rate'.....

Now some doctors are trying another approach called cryo-surgery. After a local anesthetic is given, a tiny incision is made in the side of the heel. Then a cold probe, the cryo-probe, is inserted into the area, 'It destroys the small nerves that register the pain and reduces or eliminates all of the inflammation. ... We have a 90 percent success rate.'

It's too soon to know if Vicki's surgery is a success, but Lisa Cottrell is back walking without heel pain one week after surgery, 'Within two days I was on my foot feeling great. It was really good. There was no pain, and it's been great ever since.'

Cryo-surgery doesn't take long. The entire procedure runs between five and ten minutes. Patients can walk in a special shoe right after surgery and should take it easy for a couple of days.

Re: cryo-surgery

Pauline on 10/14/04 at 20:39 (161542)

Were there any test studies for this treatment that led to published journal articles stating a 90% cure rate? Studies that showed this result could be duplicated in other patients? Where do they get this figure from?

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/18/04 at 14:12 (161735)

I have no idea where that figure came from.

Dr. Z on 10/18/04 at 14:19 (161737)

Didn't Dr. Fallet speak at the APMA national in Boston on this topic. Maybe that is where the figure came from.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/18/04 at 14:20 (161738)

scott r:
Sounds like a 'PR' dept. of a hospital put that story out to the press.
Again, if it is a 'surgery,' the burden of proof magically goes down as hospitals can make money on it. Just the same 'ol politics in action we have seen for years. I have seen minimal information on this modality including minimal research. Note they say 'we' have a 90% success rate, implying that that is the experience of that surgeon. Such rates need to be reproduceable in order to have credibility.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/18/04 at 14:25 (161739)

My guess is that they are probably using an existing code that garners reimbursement from third parties as opposed to ESWT that uses a unique code that flags it via lack of a permanent CPT code.

Dr. Z on 10/18/04 at 14:30 (161740)

I know the code if you are interested. By the way, did you get my e-mail I wanted to send you the Aequinus( Sp) report for high energy. E-mail me at (email removed) if you need it.

Nancy F on 10/25/04 at 12:23 (162103)

Does any one know of any Northern NewJersey Drs doing cryo surgry at this timr. It doesnt sound too rissky. I would try this before the other surgeries. I havent read that many success stories about epf at all. Especially since I have 2 young children & can not be off of my feet that long. My guess is & I coud be wrong is that foot drs have not done to many of these et & it is kind of expermental. The cost is over 2 grand a foot & insurance probably does not cover it. Thoughts anyone? I appreciate your feed back. Thankyou. Nancy F NewJersey

Nan P on 10/28/04 at 16:06 (162346)

Is this referring to the inner side of the heel or the outer side? My heel pain is on the outer portion so none of the plantar fascia techniques would work. My orthopedic doctor said there was nothing I could do for it except wear shoes all the time with a heel cup inside.

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/02/04 at 14:47 (162800)

Please take the time to read Scott's Heel pain Book on this site so you can get a more comprehensive approach to the problem. Avoid looking for 'magic bullets' as treatments as there are truly few out there.

Nancy F on 11/05/04 at 19:51 (163059)

Who is doing Cro Surgery?