Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post PF Release Surgery

Posted by patti m on 10/14/04 at 21:32 (161549)

It has been 2 1/2 weeks since i had my surgery and I guess I'm doing alright. I was just taken out of my cast & put into the walking boot. My main concern is that I can't bend my toes down and have to really concentrate very hard to move them. Does anyone know if this is a common thing and if so, how long until this wears off? I am a bit afraid. I also had the tarsal tunnel release. Actually, there is not a whole lot of swelling to prevent the bending. Just concerned. Thanks.

Re: Post PF Release Surgery

Pat on 10/14/04 at 22:13 (161557)

I'm curious what type of cast they put on - I'm having this surgery on November 3rd and they told me I would be in a removable cast for three weeks and then in a walking boot so I guess that's what you're talking about. I'm not sure about the tarsal tunnel or what's involved there but I had this surgery (PF Release) 10 days ago and it was almost a year before I was pain free. My case was the extreme (and I know it was since everything that could possible go wrong did so I don't want to scare you) but give it time. There's probably more swelling there than you realize but mention it to your doctor the next visit.

april l on 10/17/04 at 18:44 (161700)

Pat,
I had my first PF surgery back in 1997, and it took over a year to become pain free. In fact I thought it was a failure and was very upset and depressed. Gradually my foot healed and so I decided to get the surgery done on my other foot last year. At that time I believed the first surgery was not done properly because I had pain for so long afterwards, at times worse than prior to the surgery. So I figured second time around would be a totally different experience. It wasn't. It took a little bit less time to become pain free (10 months), but other than that it was nearly the same experience. Pain in so many other parts of my foot, like the toes, top part of my foot, arch, ball of my foot, etc. I have heard some people recover quickly, but I think it's normal to have a long recovery. I had good days and bad days and eventually the bad days were no more. A year seems like a long time but it really isn't considering how long I suffered prior to surgery. Wishing you well on Nov. 3rd!

april l on 10/17/04 at 18:51 (161702)

After my surgery my doctor did not put me in a cast. Could maybe the cast be causing your toes to be stiff? A few months after surgery I was given a walking boot to wear as a night splint and it caused my toes to hurt and go numb. I couldn't even tolerate a whole night with it on so I stopped using it. Another thing is my toes were achy and painful to bend upwards after PF surgery. I couldn't stretch my toes toward me without a very strange sensation. My doctor told me to stretch every day anyway, which I did and eventually the sensitivity was gone. Are you getting physical therapy? If not, I highly recommend it.

patti m on 10/19/04 at 14:32 (161796)

thanks for the response. the type of cast was referred to as a plaster 'slipper cast'. it was only past my toes and barely to my ankle. more for support and protection. i have been in the walking boot for one week today, and it is not as bad. there is still alot of swelling, but i ice and elevate as much as a can. a bit of toe movement has come back, but still unable to bend them down. i am able to remove the boot to sleep finally without as much discomfort. the crutches are still 'attached' under my arms unfortunately! i am hoping (and praying-ALOT) that i will only need them for another week or so. i am experiencing alot of pain on the outer part of my foot, but the doc stated the ligaments need to heal on that side. hopefully that is all. i'll keep the board posted. thanks again. patti m

patti m on 10/19/04 at 14:39 (161797)

the doctor did say that it was time for the cast to come off, and i took that as to his reason for the painful swelling i was experiencing. he hasn't mentioned any physical therapy, yet. i go back on nov 9 and will see what he has me do then. i have been trying to do toe exercises and slight stretching with little difficulty, but am a bit afraid i will hurt something if i do it too much. i was told the strange feelings was a good sign of healing of the nerves and ligaments. sometimes it feels like the bones want to come through my skin though. i am hoping this is just normal aches and pains associated with the surgery. it is 3 weeks post surgery, and i am still not able to put full weight on my foot yet. i can't wait until i can just take off and walk without the aids of the crutches or boot. one day at a time, i suppose.

Re: April

Pat on 10/19/04 at 22:46 (161818)

Thanks April. Just the thought of going through this again is making me sick. I look at my poor foot and it's been through so much already I just want to hug it! LOL! Well, I would hug it if I was flexible enough to do that. The last time I had it was 10 years ago and I can remember all the pain and the swelling and the problems and this time I'm heavier and no where near in the shape I was last time and I'm having other problems (neurological) that I just am tired of dealing with. I just remember a year long PAIN! I'm taking a month off from work and hoping that if I just rest and take lots of drugs (LOL!) I won't feel the pain as much. I just know that I've been in pain all summer and a cast for the past 7 weeks and I'm so sick of it I could scream.

Kristie on 10/22/04 at 18:50 (162002)

Hi Patti,

I had Pf realse suregry in May. It been a long road and I'm still not able to work yet. Soon I think though. The best advice I can give you is to do your excersises three times a week, ice, elevation and don't worry everything is going to be fine. It took a while for you to get to this point of pain to have the surgery and it will take a while to recover. Don't worry about your toes. My toes were numb for the last five months. The two smallest toes on that foot. My doctor said it was perfectly normal because the she worked on an area of the foot( those terrible nerves) the also control those toes. The feeling has went away and me and my toes will be fine and so will yours.

Good Luck.

Re: Post PF Release Surgery - Kristie

Pat on 10/26/04 at 16:18 (162212)

I'm just wondering if you have a sit down job or a stand on your feet all day job. I sit down all day but I'm in a different place all the time working at someone's office and there's no way I would be able to be out of work that long.

patti m on 10/30/04 at 00:45 (162468)

thanks for the confidence. it makes me feel alot better.

patti m on 10/30/04 at 00:50 (162469)

its mainly a sit down job, but i do have to get up alot and walk a long distance several times a day. i am hoping i can go back to work in 2 weeks time and without the crutches. i am beginning to walk a little without them with pain, but am getting determined because of being so sick of the crutches. i am taking it very easy though because i don't want to push myself too hard for fear of undoing the surgery. thanks again for your responses. good luck to all of you.

Pat on 10/30/04 at 09:50 (162490)

You know I called the medical supply place about possibly getting a wheelchair while I'm home (I have problems with my balance and I'm overweight so the thought of crutches freaks me out) and found out about something called a roll-a-bout. It's like a walker but half of it has a cushion raised thing where you rest your knee on and propel yourself with your good foot. This way your foot is always off the ground and no weight bearing is one it. Of course my insurance doesn't cover it but I called the rental place and they rent it for $55 a month so I'm going Monday (before my surgery) to get one. It may be easier just to use in the house and it's easier to fold up. I've seen people at concerts with them but they're mainly for people that have below the knee injury. If you want to see what they look like do a search on roll-a-bout and a picture of one will come up. It may be a solution just to rent one for a month so you're not putting as much weight on your foot all the time

Ernest G on 5/14/05 at 18:00 (175032)

I see that you found a place from which you could rent a 'roll-a-bout.' Recently, I had surgery on my leg, just above the ankle, and I very much need and want to rent a 'roll-a-bout.'

Where did you rent yours? Do you know of any place in the New York City area (or any company that would deliver to the NYC area) from which I might be able to rent a 'roll-a-bout'?

Any help that you might provide will be greatly appreciated. Name of the place? Address? Phone number? Email? Whatever you can provide will be appreciated. And I would appreciate hearing from you as soon as possible -- because I already suffered my injury.

I Thank you very much in advance!!