Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Supertwin

Posted by Pauline on 10/18/04 at 15:35 (161742)

I hope you've found some pain relief and your own doctor finally got back to you. Being in severe pain with a week-end in sight is frightening. As Dr. Z said you are owed some response so I hope they were able to provide help for you.

Re: To Supertwin

supertwin on 10/18/04 at 21:08 (161754)

Thanks Pauline. Yes, I spoke to my doctor. He said he reviewed the MRI report, and assured me all that was on there was supposed to be. He said the ESWT did what it was supposed to ( except I'm not recovering!) I'm seeking another opinion from my ortho doc. Bony edema and all the other swelling and severe pain cannot be good. I'm so petite, 4'11' and 93 pounds, with barely size 5 feet - maybe I just couldn't handle it - I don't know. I'm still in a wheelchair, as I can't imagine walking on bruised bones is good - but my doctor hasn't come out and said to absolutely stay off of them - maybe he's afraid to - I don't know that either. I see him in a week. In the meantime I'm worried it will take me years to recover from this - if I do. I wish I hadn't done it - at least before, I could work, live at home, go grocery shopping, you know, normal things - even if I couldn't hike, rock climb, and mountain bike like I did 2 years ago when I was...31. So frustrating. Thanks for checking up on me.

Pauline on 10/18/04 at 23:17 (161759)

I do hope they get to the bottom of your problem and find out why sooo much pain. I can hear the frustration and disappointment in your words and it is very frustrating and difficult to deal with when you're in so much pain.

When you mentioned bruising bones something came to mind and of course I'm not a doctor but I wonder if there is any possibility that the bones can actually be burned by high power ESWT. I've never heard anyone speak about this, but perhaps bruising and burning are similar types of injuries.

I've had physical therapist tell me if they stay on one spot too long with ultrasound they can burn bones. Ultra sound of course has a heat element to it, but maybe ESWT causes it's own heat by moving tissue molecules, friction.

Just thinking out loud. Maybe what the doctors describe as bruising is just that, sound waves beating up on bones. Sounds awful when you think about it that way, but bruises usually heal with time so I think eventually the pain should go away.

Wish I knew the answer to a sure fired cure. I'd bottle it and give it away. Heck everyone on this site has already spent a fortune, they need something back for free that will put a smile on their face again.

At the very least I hope you've gotten some pain meds to help you.

Dr. Z on 10/19/04 at 00:38 (161763)

There is no heat with ESWT

Dorothy on 10/19/04 at 00:44 (161765)

It sounded to me - just guessing here - that Pauline was thinking about a kind of friction that might be created internally by the process of ESWT, i.e. an unintended consequence of the wave effect on tissue and bone in the body.