Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Football player with PF rushes for 111 yards

Posted by Kathy G on 10/18/04 at 16:18 (161743)

Willis McGahee of the Buffalo Bills rushed for 111 yards yesterday. He was listed as questionable because he is suffering from Plantar Fasciitis. I've said it before and I'll say it again, how in the world do these guys play football, baseball or anything else with PF? What do they know that we don't? Or are they all going to end up like Bill Lee, the former Boston Red Sox player, and have to eventually retire because of PF?

All I can say is, it sure makes me feel like a wimp!!!

Re: Football player with PF rushes for 111 yards

Linda V on 10/18/04 at 18:11 (161746)

Kathy,
I remember spaceman Bill Lee, but didn't realize he had PF. Yes, I wonder how those athletes do it...I rushed (2 mph) for 111 feet in Shaws last week and thought about retiring!!!!

Kathy G on 10/19/04 at 08:12 (161773)

Good one, Linda! Yes, I know what you mean! I long for a small supermarket with competitive prices. Heck, I just long for smaller stores in general. I guess they believe bigger is better these days and they continue to build stores that require a motorcycle to traverse! Yesterday, I went to a few stores and figured I'd gotten in way over fifteen minutes of walking.

Terri on 10/19/04 at 21:54 (161813)

Unfortunately, a lot of these professional players get a local anesthetic to deaden the worst of the pain then get out there and play full tilt, not realizing they are actually worsening the injury. Remember that old movie about football players...sitting here racking my brain for the title and can't come up with it...but believe it was out in the late 80's, early 90's. A lot of what was in this movie was so true on the trainers and team dr's taping and doping the players in order to let them just get thru 1 quarter of play. I don't think they know any more than anyone else out there. Kinda reminds me of the old horse-doping stories only now the teams treat the players like the horses.

Re: Correction - I got it all wrong! What else is new?

Kathy G on 10/20/04 at 11:20 (161838)

Willis McGahee did indeed rush for 111 yards but he was substituting for Travis Henry who has had PF for six weeks. DUH! <:-) No wonder I'm not doing all that well with my Fantasy Football teams! Sorry about that!

But I do know that Bill Lee retired because of PF because he mentioned it on The Best Damned Sports Show. He still plays recreational baseball so that's encouraging.