Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anerior Tasal Tunnel release & Deep Peroneal Nerve

Posted by Mia on 10/21/04 at 05:05 (161875)

I'm schedule to have this done next week. My doctor has said that I'll have 2 incisions, one on the top of my foot & the other at the top of my ankle. He's very concerned about the long term effect of the scarring. Plus, the simple fact of shoes being bothersome for me in years to come. I'm glad he's concerned, but we really have no other option!
Anyway, has anyone else had this done? Can you inform me on what problems you may have had with healing?

Re: Anterior Tarsal Tunnel Release & Deep Peroneal Nerve

Mia on 10/21/04 at 05:12 (161876)

I would also love to hear any advice you may have for my recovery. My doctor said 'it will be a long recovery' but that I'll be able to bear weight on my foot earlier than I would if he was cutting the side at the Tarsal Tunnel.
I was told the stitches would come out around 10 days post-op. After that, I'll be able to place weight on my foot and go without crutches. If all goes well....

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Re: Did anyone have Deep Peroneal Nerve trouble?

Mia on 10/21/04 at 19:39 (161936)

I've yet read about anyone posting on the Deep Peroneal Nerve Release procedure. Is this surgery that 'rare' compared to the normal Tarsal Tunnel Release? By what I'm finding on the internet - not too much information is available, so I'm relying on others to fill me in on the details and experiences.

My doctor seems very good at his job. I have no trouble trusting his skill or knowledge. An extra bonus for me! It concerns me more about my future and whether or not I'll be able to get back to doing the things I enjoy most in life. But I'm grateful that I'm still here (the accident could have been much worse) and I remind myself daily.
I'm only 33 and have so many dreams for the future, but alot of those dreams require the ability to tolorate being on my feet for long periods of time. Do I need to prepare myself and be realistic?

Darlene on 10/21/04 at 20:38 (161940)

This site has some information on it:

You may want to ask your doctor how many of these he has done. It's not something to be shy about.

Your wonderful positive attitude is a huge asset!!!

Sheena S. on 10/21/04 at 22:42 (161949)

I have just been diagnosed with tarsal tunnel syndrome found with nerve conduction. I tripped in an open drain at work. I have pain across my ankle and down my toes also my big toe goes into spasams,and some heel pain, pain on outer side of leg just above the ankle, and pain running up my shin bone into my knee pain and swelling behind and above knee also. My tibia MRI showed solase(sp)damage,gastronimus damage 1 degree. My doctor says I couldnt have injured both areas in the trip but I didnt have any of these problems before. I walked with crutches and had phisical therapy for 1 1/2 months then new dr. said walk on it well I am still in pain!! If anyone can shed some light on wether the tarsal tunnel can cause all of these other pains please do so. My Dr. is not understanding where the path of my pain is comming from. ankle Mri. neg knee mri. neg The limping is making my hip and back hurt. WHAT IS THIS!!!

Mia on 10/25/04 at 05:52 (162082)

Thanks for the info. on a nw sie for me to look at. Its been helpful to have so many people posting here and learning how others are coping.
Yes - I do seem to be looking toward the positive with this surgery! At this point, I can't do much else. I just need to have it done and move forward so I can start to heal.

Thanks again,

Mia on 10/25/04 at 06:10 (162084)

Good Morning! I would suggest taking a look at the ineers of the leg & foot. All the connective tissues and such. By understanding what is there and how it connects with the rest of the leg.....helps you undersatnd better the symtoms you maybe experiencing!

My injury is and example of just that. My peroneal nerve is compressed and with my results from all the tests done - I should be dealing with damage somewhere else up my leg or into my back. The Doctor has expressed to me how this works, but at this time.....my foot seems to be the only problem that I experience. I've also had some discomfort in my back, but I think its more from the way I was walking to compansate for my foot. Nothing else has been done to prove otherwise.

I do understand the more you read the more comfused you become - & the more questions that follow. I wish to understand better myself. The body has a way of reacting to injury and seems to be different in everyone at times. All medical treatment are experimental, but have been proven to work in the past with common outcomes. BUT not everyone is going to fit the same puzzle as the person before them. The best thing you can do is research as much as you can. By doing so, you will be able to help your doctor figure out what the cause and solution could be to fix it. Doctor's only see you for short periods of time and really rely on the information you give them during your visits. You need to make sure to not forget anything and have knowledge of is involved with your symtoms, so you can offer the value information needed.

I'll stop now with my long winded message. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions or if I could help you in anyway.
Take care and good luck!

Linda O on 11/08/04 at 13:29 (163249)

hi Sheena S, I fell over a plastic box got my left foot caught and landed on a hard surface with my foot and leg twisted up in the plastic container.
I am looking for the same answers you are my Dr says PF but the pain goes up the calf into my knee and hips also affects my lower back If I find more out I'll let you know please let me know what you find.