Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel pain in the morning!

Posted by jwoody on 10/21/04 at 05:38 (161878)

Been jogging for a year. I've always worn cheap sneakers and have a high arch.

My heel pain is mostly in the morning, then resides during the day. What could this be?

Re: Heel pain in the morning!

Tina H on 10/21/04 at 21:18 (161943)

Sounds like plantar facsiitis. Read 'the book' on this site. It will explain everything. Get rid of the cheap sneakers!!! Good Luck

JoniW on 10/23/04 at 20:15 (162036)

Thank you! I did read the book after I posted and just bought 2 new pairs of sneakers tonight. Reebok walking shows and Avia running shoes. Started icing and stretching. Not much difference yet, but I just got the new shoes today. Hopefully I can start jogging again in a few days!

Tina H on 10/26/04 at 09:58 (162173)

For what it's worth, I would not start jogging until the heel pain is gone or you could end up like some of us who post here, seriously impaired due to pf. Also while new athletic shoes are a good start, most still do not have very good arch support. You may need to try an insert, like power steps which are recommended here. I've used them, they seem to be a good product. I put mine under the shoes insoles. Tina

JoniW on 11/06/04 at 16:27 (163105)

Thanks for your response Tina.

I haven't done any exercising in almost 2 weeks. I've iced, stretched, and rested. My heel pain seems to have gone or is almost gone. The problem now is that my calf muscle is very tight even though I've been stretching. I've also had arch pain on the inside of my foot and pain in the back of my knee and also groin muscle pain. Something different seems to hurt everyday.

Is this a normal to have so many problem areas of pain with this injury?

And I'm starting to do power yoga and biking on Monday provided nothing hurts. I wanted to start jogging again but I'm too afraid to. It seems this problem heals very slowly.

Julie on 11/07/04 at 02:57 (163126)

Joni, don't start Power Yoga tomorrow! Please wait until you are fully healed and then begin weight-bearing exercise gradually. There is nothing 'gradual' about Power (Ashtanga) Yoga - you'll be moving so quickly from one weight-bearing posture to the next that you'll hurt yourself before you know it.

JoniW on 11/07/04 at 07:59 (163132)

Thanks for reminding me Julie. I keep forgetting I'm limited until this is healed. It's only been a couple weeks and it's really like no other injury I've ever experienced. :-(