Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Richard Cped please Zcoils? a scam?

Posted by Shockey on 10/21/04 at 18:23 (161929)

Richard what is your opinion on zcoils shoes which have springs in the heel part of the shoe? Would they work for fhl/tenosynovitids near the tarsal tunnel area or are thses just gimmics??

Thanks have you seen success with theseshoes?

Re: Richard Cped please Zcoils? a scam?

Linda V on 10/21/04 at 18:34 (161931)

i am not richard or a c-ped, but my own pod thinks these things should be outlawed. he says the amount of damage to knees and hips far ouweighs any temporary benefits they might give. just a thought.

Lynn F. on 10/21/04 at 21:42 (161947)

I just came onto this site to inquire about these very shoes! My dad's been trying to convince me to try them for my ever-so-painful PF. He knows someone.. who knows someone.. who swears by them. They look kinda strange to me but in my desperation to get relief I was starting to think about it. Then again.. maybe not. Thanks!

Richard, C.Ped on 10/22/04 at 11:20 (161984)

some like them, some don't. I would not go so far as calling them a scam. I would not wear them, knowing what I know about gait, and how to properly offload and support the fascia.

The fascia must be properly supported to prevent stretching. A good shoe is a start, but the orthosis prevents the stretching.

I recommend the higher number New Balance and, my personal favorites, Brooks.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/28/04 at 20:49 (162377)

I see them as a 'mixed bag' but certainly not a scam. They are essentially a high heel so they supinate the STJ and cause forefoot eversion which is desirable. My concern is the effect that prolonged use of any high heel would have on other postural issues and the sequelae of achilles shortening. If I wore the Z-coils, I would wear them, perhaps, every other day or so to avoid some of those problems. I did buy a pair, out of curiosity, but have not worn them in a while.

Richard, C.Ped on 10/29/04 at 10:50 (162411)

I agree. I think if someone feels better with a higher heel, there might be a short heel cord at play.

I don't think I would ever try them.

Dave on 11/03/04 at 15:19 (162879)

Just last month I ran into a nurse wearing Zcoils. She said they were a great help for her back pain. They do look like a high heel, almost 2' I would say. I too have found a high heeled boot great for leg and back pain, but I sure would not wear them all day every day.

Nollie C. on 11/07/04 at 18:07 (163176)

I have struggled with PF for many years (>5)and refuse to have surgery unless I have no other choice. Cortisone injections gave temporary relief but eventually helped less and less. I had one round of ESWT on the 'bad' foot and got some relief but went back to the regular shoes (Saucony Grid Jazz) and prescription hard orthotic and the pain returned. I heard about the Z-Coil from an ER physician who was a believer. I went back for bilateral ESWT and went straight into the Z-Coil. The difference is night and day. I am now working my way into some New Balance 815's but I'm still experimenting with the insoles and cannot tolerate my orthotics yet. Whenever I start to have pain, I know the Z-Coils will rest my plantar fascia. BTW, I do not like 'high heeled' shoes at all and I do not feel like these shoes are any higher than regular sneakers. The front is built up to accomodate the spring so the net effect is that I'm about an inch or so higher than I would be otherwise but I am not walking with the heel appreciably higher than the toe.

Tim M on 11/11/04 at 17:24 (163601)

I've worn Z-Coils for over a year. The springs on mine compress, so that my foot is almost level and I do NOT have a high-heel effect. You should have them fitted properly, with the proper weight spring for your body weight.

The only time I do not wear my Z-Coils is when I am riding a bike or a motorcycle or when I am climbing a ladder (because of the exposed spring, I do not use the covered heels because I don't like the additional weight). I have had PF for almost 25 years and do not have to use ice, taping or any of the other strategies.

When I used to hike in regular hiking boots, and would be wearing a 30-pound-plus backpack, I would roll my ankle at least once a day. I have NEVER rolled my ankle in my Z-Coils: the spring seems to act sort of like an independent suspension, bending to keep the heel flat against the walking surface.

Re: Zcoils? a scam? NO WAY!!!!

Debi R. on 11/12/04 at 11:57 (163719)

Sorry your pod would make such a snap judgement about something based on how they 'look'!!! Please note that there are orthopods, podiatrists, neurosurgeons, physical therapists, nurses and chiroprators all over the United States who wear and even SELL Z-Coils. They are highly recommended and even PRESCRIBED by many doctors. Many do nnot KNOW about them yet or have not TRIED them or seen the many miraculous results they have brought to many of their patients. So they may, unfortunately make snap judgements. But please, if you don't KNOW anything about something, DON'T comment. Someone in pain may need help!! I know from experience that these HELP a lot. They also are very stable and they actually HELP your hip pain or back pain or foot pain or knee pain, etc.

Debi R. on 11/12/04 at 12:38 (163723)

Try them. They work.

Lynn F. on 11/12/04 at 21:01 (163769)

Debi - Thanks for providing a different perspective on these. I'm still on the fence but I'm going to ask my dr. Did you have PF, and if so, did zcoils help you? Thanks!

Kathryn C. on 11/29/04 at 23:20 (164928)

I bought Zcoils due to a case of unrelenting plantar fasciitis, but I have found them to be more helpful for my back pain as well. I wouldn't wear them constantly because they are a bit awkward and heavy. But when I'm in pain, they really help, amazingly so!

Lynn F. on 11/30/04 at 13:55 (164969)

Kathryn - I'm glad to her the ZCoils have helped you. I had back surgery a few years back, and now chronic PF, so it sounds like they may be good for me too. I just ordered the Taos model but they on backorder until end of Dec.

I wonder has been able to get their insurance to pay for them? I asked my dr. but he said he'd rather me get (yet another) pair of orthotics.. to which I said, I'd rather pay for the Zcoils!

Janice C on 3/19/05 at 22:24 (171611)

Nollie C I hope you get this, please put my name Janice C so I will get your reply. I just bought some Zcoils, and am having some difficulty. The heel feels a little spongy, though it is a medium spring and I weigh 176. It feels like it is stretching my pf, and I would say my foot is probably level, toe & heel when standing. I could not wear Birks for this reason, my pf was really inflammed after wearing the Birks, just too flat. I do fine with a 3/4' heel. Do you think it sounds like I need a heavier duty spring? thanks, Janice C

Tim M. on 3/20/05 at 09:05 (171617)

Janice C:
You say it feels like it is stretching your PF? Does your foot overpronate? If so, what I learned to do was swap the springs on shoe: the right one over to the left shoe and the left over to the right. This is one of the over 30 ways they have of adjusting the shoe. I would get back to the store, explain your problem and have them help you adjust your Z-Coils.
I also put an over the counter insole, the ProFoot 3oz Miracle, into the shoe to wear for a while and that seemed to help with getting used to the shoes. They definitely take some getting used to because they are like no other shoes.

Good luck!

Janice C on 3/20/05 at 15:17 (171630)

Tim M , thank you for responding, & putting my name so I would get the thread. Actually, I do the other thing, not over pronate, but suponate (sp?). And switching the springs did help. I live 2 hrs away from the store,they spent almost 2 hrs with me trying to get me adjusted. I got the sandals, have Mortons neuromas in both forefeet, one lady thought I needed the wide, and usually I buy a wide 8 1/2 because of the neuromas, but my foot is just medium. I had the medium width, and across my ankle it was tight as the velcro could go. Switching the springs did help a lot,plus using the med spring, but still it feels like I go down too much when I stand. It feels like a negative heel almost. They felt great when I first put them on, but as the day wore on, the burning in the heel was getting worse until I was gritting my teeth. I plan to go back week from tomorrow to try & see if I can either get a stronger spring so I don't rock back, or try the hiking shoe. I wonder if all the footbeds are the same. The rigid plastic feels good, but I may have to switch the pad like you did because the one with the shoe looks like it is going to compress & mold to my footprint. That also gives me problems in other shoes. I will feel wonderful in the store, in a couple of days I have ditches where my pressure points are, and it is agonizing. thanks so much for your help, await your reply. Janice C

Arzula on 4/22/05 at 14:34 (173544)

I had to have knee surgery a couple of years ago and unfortunatately, my knee will never be the same. Also, I am starting to have problems with the other knee and my lower back.

I swear by these shoes - they actually work. At the end of the day, my knees are pain free and not stiff as with regular shoes. Also, my lower backpain has disappeared.

Do yourself a favor, it is worth the investment.

Marie W on 5/28/05 at 23:12 (175859)

These shoes may look like they have a high heel, but if you look closely, the front of the shoe is raised also. They are wonderful for back, leg and foot pain. they are made with orthodics and have been a wonderful relief to me since i am on my feet all day. physical therapists, RNS, chiropracters and physicians I work with all love the shoes. The only down side is make sure you have some one fit you properly because the spring on the back is adjustable.
One other point, I bought a pair 3 years ago and have worn them almost everyday since then and they are still in good shape. Well worth the money I paid.

Marie W on 5/28/05 at 23:14 (175860)

AMEN... I LOVE mine and do not care what they look like since I am no longer in pain at night after being in the OR all day!

Tom O on 11/23/05 at 09:36 (188049)

Has anyone heard of Shoe Spring by Spira shoes? They have stainless steel springs hidden in the sole of the shoe in both the forefoot and at the heel.

People swear by them and a lot of the same folks got rid of their Z-Coils and switched to the Shoe Springs.

Re: Janice C - how are you doing?

Tim M on 11/23/05 at 10:46 (188054)

Janice C:

Scott was having some problems with a guy who was advocating Z-Coils via blatant advertising here on the message boards. I don't see a sign of my response to you back in March, so maybe it was eliminated when he had to deal with this guy.

I wanted to find out how you were doing with your Z-Coils and let you know about another insole I have discovered that, maybe, will work for you in your Z-Coils. It is the Dr. Scholl's Memory Fit insole and it tends to keep its shape, and not shape itself to your foot as readily, as the 20z Miracles.

Here's a URL: http://www.drscholls.com/product.aspx?prodid=79

Every drug store has them.

Re: Shoe Spring by Spira

Tim M on 11/23/05 at 10:50 (188056)

I've seen them, but I don't know much about them.

Is the area between the forefoot and the heel solid? Or does it flex? If it is the latter, I don't think it would work for me because every prescription orthotic I have had, and the built-in orthotic of the Z-Coil, is stiff and supports my foot better.

Re: Richard Cped please Zcoils? Not a scam!!!

Joyce A on 5/22/06 at 09:35 (199618)

Hi All,

I have had both knees totally replaced in the last two years and I swear by these shoes for the parttime work I do as I am on my feet the 4 hours I work three days a week. I tried Dansko's and other good shoes but nothing gave me the support on my knees and feet like Z-Coils, The coils give you a spring in your step and I do not feel the concrete or other flooring that I am standing on during my shift which is very important to me.

I do not have pain at all from my knee replacements but I would go home with legs aching and feet hurting. I have worn these for over a year and love them. You come down on your heal first which takes the pressure off your knees. I have the clogs and they do look funky but they are definitely a good conversation piece too. I am going to buy another pair here soon. I have a couple other friends who have them and people who have bought them after seeing mind and have found them to be so comfortable and good for there body.

Elaine B on 5/25/06 at 15:19 (199836)

I have PF and was hesitant to try Zcoils, but they kept coming back to me as a referral to my foot problem. I finally purchased a pair and was surprised at how well they
worked. My pain has been gone now for two years. I have purchased another pair and have intentions of purchasing the sandal. I am so pleased to not have the pain. I walked 20 miles in Las Vegas on vacation and was pleased to be able to keep up with my family and friends. That was the true test. I have recommended them to co-workers etc. Again with positive results, one had bad knees, he is so pleased to be able to go home and play with his children instead of iceing his knees. Good luck. It worked for me.

Steve on 6/08/06 at 08:42 (200653)

Hello i just found this site because im looking for pad replacement. I read a little let me tell you i am over weight. With cronic pain and bone spur the bone spur went away in three months. I sware by them. even thogh i get
wierd looks. Steve

Mary on 10/14/06 at 14:40 (213266)

I came upon this and just had to put my two cents in. I have been selling the shoes for 6 years. I have doctors that write prescriptions and wear the shoe. Most people are helped with hip, knee, back and foot pain. There is no 100% product in this world. There are people that can not wear the shoes. Anyone with an inner ear problem that causes dizziness will not be able to wear them. They are not a high heel. They look like it but when you put your weight on the coil it moves down so that it is even with the ball of the foot. They are not the prettiest shoe but if it got rid of my pain that is all I was worried about. It did and I opened a store to help others in pain.

Mike B. on 11/29/06 at 15:46 (216423)

I have 4 pairs of Z-Coil shoes, personally speaking I could not function with them. I was seeing a foot doctor once a week for extreme pain in my left foot. I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and bone spurs. Since getting and wearing my z-coils every day for the last 4 years I'm pain free and no longer seeing the doctor and getting those horrible shots with cortisone directly into my heel.

If I do walk without my z-coils, even across the floor of my house I have instant pain and numbness in my left foot.

As a side note my wife and I frequently visit Disneyland in Southern California. Anyone who has been there knows you can cover alot of miles in one days visit. Before my z-coils my feet would tire quickly and hurt badly especially while standiing still in long lines and my lower back would ache as well. When I got up from bed on the morning of our second day, I would not be able to get out of bed without alot of pain and limping until my feet adjusted to being on them again. Since wearing my z-coils to Disneyland there is no more foot pain in the morning.

I can't say enough about how these shoes have improved the quality of my life. Sure they are expensive at over $300 a pair, but what price can you put on foot comfort? Certainly cheaper than a few visits to the doctor and any Rx they might write you for medication. I'd rather take nothing and be pain-free over being medicated with pills.

Buy z-coils today you can't imagine the difference they make in your life everyday you wear them.

Mark on 4/30/07 at 17:02 (228864)

Zcoil shoes are great!
Definitely recommend it to anyone who want to walk and have less stress while doing it. You have to try them to believe it.

Dee L on 8/16/07 at 16:14 (234512)

All one has to do is to try Z-CoILs on your feet. They are amazing in helping to reduce or eliminate foot, knee, hip, and back pain. They are recommended by such doctors as Podriatrist, Orthopedic surgeons, Chiropractic and other physicians for their patients.

denise on 10/17/07 at 09:07 (237913)

i was in so much knee pain i cryed of thought of even going to the store. i bought a pair of thr z coils and thye do work. i can waLK HOURS AND MY KNEE DOES NOT HURT DURNING THE DAY I STILL GET SPams at night with my knee but they work while you are wearing them. i thought the same thing until i tried them.

cheryl on 11/02/07 at 10:56 (238823)

As far as the comments about high heels, I wear z-coils and I can't wear high heels. The front of the shoe is also elevated so you are not actually wearing a high heel. The shoe, as a whole, is elevated. These shoes have helped eliminate my heel spurs as well as take pressure off my back. I am on my feet all day and it used to be that when I wake up in the mornings I would still be aching from the day before. Now, I wake up feeling recouperated from the day before. I have had 2 back surgery's and I am doing well.

KatM on 3/16/08 at 16:18 (244644)

I have several pair of Z-Coils. I can't stand how they look, but have been able to avoid pain medication and cortisone shots since wearing Z-Coils. I had a birth defect which caused me to require several foot operations to fix, and have had chronic pain ever since. Z-Coils have saved me years of agony! They are not for everyone, but if you have painful feet, knees, and/or hips, I strongly recommend giving them a try.

Merid on 6/24/08 at 12:50 (247931)

I suffer from back pain (3 surgeries, spinal fusion) and a year with platar faciitis in my right heel. I was having a hard time walking at all prior to the zcoil. I tried everything from different shoes to different heel pads and arches. Nothing helped much at all.

Zcoils for one month have gotten me to the point where I can walk my Siberian huskies for more than an hour a day. I have no pain.

For the first 2 weeks, I had some muscle pain in my right and left hip-joint muscles, like they were adjusting to the shoes.

Since then, they have been a dream. I am even considering jogging again.

perhaps for someone who has no problems, they might seem extreme. but for me and my problems, they have been a Godsend.

That is just ridiculous.

KayG on 10/06/08 at 10:59 (250865)

I 'blew out' my knee about 3 years ago. My daughter-in-law, a chef who had opened her own restaurant and was on her feet 16-28 hours a day suggested Zcoils. Her mom wears them to relieve her arthritis. I wear them most of the time. I have 3 pairs. When I don't wear them for some reason, I am in pain by bedtime. They help my knee and my lower back. Wearing them I can function normally. I have to travel over 200 miles to buy them, but it is worth it!

Amy R on 10/15/08 at 12:38 (251197)

What can I say except, that for me, who has had feet problems.... Heel Pain / Plantar Fasciitis, and Achilles tendonitis, these miracle shoes have helped my knees and my bad back. Plus due to my bad foot problems I have acquired a limp over the years....when I wear the zcoils, I have NO limp! And because of that, now even when I don't wear the shoes my limp is gone. It retrained my body how to walk correctly! I have owned them for 2 years. Sure they look like they're from outer space or something, but I know from experience that they work! And I tell everyone about them. If anyone does decide to buy a pair, I also let them know to forget about the coil in the heel, and pretend they're regular shoes. If you walk like there is a heel on them you will create pain in your legs. It took me about 3 days to ignore the coil and just walk. After that, I was able to walk again without any pain! It was a miracle for me! I still have and wear my original pair.

Dr.Wedemeyer on 10/15/08 at 14:19 (251203)

The Z coil shoe is not a scam and actually is indicated in certain conditions. I have had quite a few patients in my office who swear by them.

That is also not to say that I would endorse that shoe design for every foot complaint. I would definitely advise consulting with your doctor if you have any current, foot, knee, hip or low back complaints to see if they are appropriate for you.

KimW on 8/06/09 at 08:28 (259439)

Pardon me I have been reading some of the comments here and I would like to clear some things up about the ZCoil shoe.
No. 1 they are NOT high heeled they just appear that way, if you pull your foot up side ways and look where the bottom of you foot is, then
you will find they are not heeled the bottom of your foot is flat inside the shoe, they appear to be high heeled because your not use to seeing the space between the ball of the foot and the heel.
I have had a pair of these shoes for 6 months now and one day I didn't wear them to work and my back was screaming at me that night
they are the best investment I have ever made for my back. The only thing I didn't like about them are that they are heavier then a normal sneaker, and they can tire your legs out, but you get use to it
and your legs get stronger. have you ever actually wore a pair for any lenght of time, if you haven't you should.

Dr. Ed on 8/06/09 at 18:23 (259456)

See the picture of a Z-coil: http://www.zcoil.com/
It is a high heel, period. If the spring is relatively soft than the heel will be lower.
Dr. Ed