Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stress Fracture Won't Heal

Posted by Pat on 10/21/04 at 19:57 (161937)

I've had the second round of PF since late May and now I'm scheduled for surgery November 3rd (I've done every possible thing known to mankind up to this point and I'm been in an air cast for the past six weeks). The doctor said that the stress fracture is not healing and they will have to stick some wires into the heal bone during the release of the PF (and removal of the bone spur). This is being done on Nov 3rd. I've been through this with the other foot (with a surgery gone wrong) ten years ago so I know what to expect. However, I'm curious why the stress fracture won't heal. I figured with this air cast it would definitely help and the pain has lessened but not to a point that I would be able to run down the block!

Re: Stress Fracture Won't Heal

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/22/04 at 16:38 (161997)

Pat:
Where is the location of the stress fracture? What has been done for it to date?
Ed

Pat on 10/26/04 at 16:08 (162209)

The stress fracture is in the bottom heel part of my foot - I've been in a hard cast for two weeks and an air cast for about 6 weeks waiting for my surgery for next week. I almost think the stress fracture has healed because if I take my cast off I can walk without pain for a little bit but then it starts to hurt again. My heel area is still inflammed. The Pod is talking about putting wires through the bone next week to improve the circulation when he's doing PF surgery. He's going to only do a 2 inch incision in my foot and use a camera but I'm wondering if he would be able to see if the stress fracture has healed or what;s wrong before he starts messing with anything inside my foot. The whole thing sounds weird to me. I did have a bone scan which confirmed everything but they can't do another one so I'm not sure how they tell if there's a stress fracture or if they can even see it once they open your foot.

Pauline on 10/26/04 at 16:51 (162216)

Pat,
The fact that you state 'the whole thing sounds weird to me' sounds like you are not totally certain you should have this surgery. There is nothing wrong with putting it on hold until you fully understand the need for it and exactly what is planned and why.

I can tell you it's better to know these things up front and have little to no doubt than to wonder afterwards if you did the right thing.

Personally if I were you, I'd halt the surgery and find out all you can about what your doctor plans to do. If you didn't have a second opinion I'd do that too.

Surgeries are cancelled all the time, sometimes by the doctor and sometimes by the patient. Know before you go.

Pat on 10/26/04 at 22:30 (162234)

Thanks Pauline for your advice but I pretty much know what is going to be done and this is the third doctor I've been to (first two were orthopedic surgeons) plus I had this surgery back in 1994 but the podiatrist screwed something up and I had alot of problems. I saw something but basically after a had an MRi and they found a nerve had been cut during the surgery. The last time I didn't have a stress fracture. At this point I've been in a hard cast for two weeks and a soft (air) cast for 6 weeks and I'm tired. I can't live like this because it's to depressing. I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing but at this point I just don't feel like I have much of a choice.