Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Richard-Sneakers for Nerve pain

Posted by Elyse B on 10/22/04 at 07:39 (161959)

after 8 months of 'allegedly' having PF, I am starting more and more to believe I never ever had it. I have had negative MRI's and Cat scans etc. I am completely pain free walking around but when I start doing weight bearing exercises, i.e., walking fast or running I have pain in my feet sometimes in my arches but mostly in the bottom of my feet. Do you know any sneakers that would be good for neuropathic pain? Thanks for all your help.

Re: Richard-Sneakers for Nerve pain

Richard, C.Ped on 10/25/04 at 08:07 (162090)

The same thing goes for all shoes. They should only bend at the ball of the foot. No flimsy shoes. For a foot type such as yours, I would make a three layer cushion orthosis, the same for my diabetic patients and severe foot pain patients. It provides cushion and support.

Elyse B on 10/25/04 at 11:40 (162099)

thanks so much Richard. I bought a pair of Mizuno Creations this weekend and will see how they do. Mizunos are supposedly very, very good shoes, what do you think. 3 layer cushions sound AWESOME. No podiatrist has even recommended that. I guess I might have to come and see you one day. But then again if I have nerve pain, are orthotics really beneficial? As one podiatrist said if you have nerve pain orthotics are useless, go figure.

Pauline on 10/25/04 at 16:12 (162134)

Richard,
When you add all the cushion to orthosis as described in your post, how much increase in shoe size must be allowed to accommodate the larger highly cushioned orthosis?

Richard, C.Ped on 10/26/04 at 07:59 (162165)

Pauline,
None. That is a common misconception that people think they need a larger shoe. Well, I sort of take that back. I have seen VERY thick orthotics from other companies. Why they are that way....I have no idea. The ones we make will fit in fine with almost any walking or running type shoe, as long as you take out the insole that comes with the shoe.