Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

had tts surgery

Posted by Deb G on 10/24/04 at 07:45 (162050)

I had my left foot done in August, and my right done in September. Right now I really don't feel too much relief but I haven't even gone back to work yet. I stand all day on my job and I'm scared to death to go back. I also have to have surgery this Wednesday on my left foot for Morton's Neuroma. Has anyone had this surgery and what is the recovery period. My doctor tells me that tarsal tunnel recovery is up and down and could take a long time.

Re: had tts surgery

Geri on 10/26/04 at 14:55 (162194)

Deb: Is there any way you can change your job or sit on the present one? I cannot imagine when you will be able to stand on your job. Recovery from tts bilaterally is going to take patience-patience-patience. I have not had Morton's neuroma so I cannot answer your question. Good luck to you. I had nerve release surgery 1 year ago on one foot. I use a stool at my kitchen sink, which I can sit on and reach the sink and the dishwasher. I have 5 rubber mats on my kitched floor, starting at the sink and around to the refrig. This helps a lot. I carry a stool (the kind used for golf tournaments) and use whenever I go into a store when my foot hurts after walking around, or standing in line. None of this will help you on your job, but may make your recovery at home easier. Good luck to you, you have had more than your share of foot problems. Stay in touch with this board, for you can get so much help.

Re: had tts surgery

Camilla on 10/27/04 at 10:50 (162260)

I am so sorry you haven't had much relief. I had relief from all the needle feelings in my leg and foot just days after the surgery. It is so true what they say about being patient, unfortunately. You are in my thoughts! :-)

P.S. What caused your TTS?

Re: had morton's neuroma surgery

Buck on 10/28/04 at 08:38 (162310)

The recovery on this surgery was not terrible. Pretty much laid around with elevated foot on ice over weekend to one 1 week. Then moved on to some walking in boot thing.

By about a month I was getting along ok.

That part of my foot is numb and feel odd at times. Turns out the neuroma may not have been the cause of my pain, seems to point to TTS now.

Camilla on 10/28/04 at 10:00 (162320)

Do you have a needly feeling in your heel? The nerve test will be able to tell you if you have TTS. I knew I had it before the nerve test and the docotor was pretty sure, too. If you decide to have TTS surgery, make sure you have a good surgeon. I was fortunate and this has turned out to be not near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Good Luck...

Darlene on 10/28/04 at 11:16 (162327)

Hi Buck.

What testing did they do for Morton's neuroma? I'm curious about the strange feeling where it is numb. I may be having MN surgery and possible TTS surgery.

Darlene

Re: nerve tests did not indicate any problems

Buck on 10/28/04 at 11:18 (162328)

I have trouble along the bottom of my feet mostly in the balls of the feet but there is a burning in the toes and at times near the arch.

I also have some pain in the ankle area and along the area where some of the TTS compression can be.

The nerve tests (3) did not indicate any trouble. The way my Dellon trained doc explained this was that as long as there is at least one fiber along the compressed route that can conduct the current, then the test would appear normal.

i had not noticed a tinels sign for a while until one day when scracthing the back of my heel, lower leg. During this, I noticed a clear tingling, not painful just tingling down to the toes.

I am leaning towards the TTS surgery but the down time is discouraging. Your comments about getting out quickly have been encouraging.

My doc mentioned if he did the surgery he wanted to get me into a pool quickly to begin some water treading / running. Hopefully this will help alleviate the scar tissue issue and help get me back on me feet quicker.

We have 4 boys 1 girl and I am on the run a lot with them.

Re: not much testing

Buck on 10/28/04 at 11:32 (162330)

My symptoms appeared to match. I had the pain in the metatarsels and had the feeling of my sock being bunched up under the toes.

One symptom i did not match was where the doc pushes on your foot and get a popping sounds.

Also, both my feet and from what i have read, bilateral MN is not too common.

It appears that what is causing my foot pain is higher up in the foot / heel / leg.

After the treatments for the MN, my foot is worse off b/c it appeared we were treating the wrong problem.

Those that I know that have had the MN surgery and needed it recommend it.

Vern S. on 10/29/04 at 12:17 (162419)

Hi Buck- I have very similar symptoms and 2 negative tests. Am currently trying Neurotin to see if makes a difference. It does not appear to, which makes me womder if I have a TTS problem.
So is your Dr. willing to operate without knowing TTS is really the problem? I believe it was Darlene that mentioned a Neurogram might help.
Any advise received from the Drs on this Board about best next step.
Keep in touch, and thanks.

Re: so does...

Buck on 10/29/04 at 14:45 (162430)

does the neurontin not helping cause you to think you do not have TTS?

I have not tried the neurontin for the following reasons. First I did not want to cover up the problem and pain allowing the problem to grow perhaps beyond recovery. (This is easier for me since my bad days my pain is no more than a 5 and i can kick off my shoes at my desk at work.)

Second, I sometimes wonder if a med i am on to help prevent kidney stones did not cause my foot pain. One of the side effects, though rare, is tingling in the hands and feet. The docs assure me that this does not seem correlated, but as i researched this I found so many other meds that helped this problem but eventually caused another problem.

now back to your question, My doc has patiently worked with me through several non-surgical treatments. He is very good at spending a lot of time with me while i am in the office (to the point that I wonder how he ever keeps on a schedule). He does think what I have is TTS. If he had a positive Tinel sign he would have been even more convinced. Recently I have found that as I rub the back of my heel, I do have a small tingling down into my toes (which i believe is essentially a Tinels sign).

Now what is a Neurogram? Not sure i have heard of that one.

Darlene on 10/29/04 at 16:02 (162433)

Hi Buck.

A neurogram is a type of MRI that specifically concentrates on nerves. I've spoken with them and still don't completely understand it, but I think the key is the way their radiologists read the MRI.

They claim they could pinpoint where nerve compression are and therefore reduce incision size. Check out their website and you could always give them a call.

Let us know what you find.

Darlene

Vern S. on 10/29/04 at 16:51 (162434)

The Neurotin trial was my idea since my DPM was uncertain and seemed stumped. He said it was worth a try to help support or rule out the pain being nerve related. I'm one week into a 2 week trial. So far not much change. Unless there is some improvement soon, I guess I have left myself more clueless than before. I would much rather have the opinions of some of the Drs. on this Board, than making it up as I go, or the confused look on my DPM's face.

Camilla on 10/30/04 at 12:19 (162514)

Buck, you sound like a very very busy father! I can not imagine having 5 children and having to go through this. I can not even hardly keep up with my one boy! I think you are teetering on the brink of saint-hood, haha...
I have never heard about the swiming thing, but that sounds very logical. They sell that thing you can put over your leg to keep out the water. My doc offered it to me for 40.00 for bathing but I am a cheapskate and chose the ' tape and trash bag with the leg hanging out of the tub' route. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. I wish you much luck!

Ann L on 10/30/04 at 15:54 (162556)

Vern,

Neurontin does not work for everyone, but it also may be that you are just not on a high enough dosage. How much are you taking? There have been posters on here that have taken up to 3600mg a day, and I believe one was taking more. I take 2700mg a day and it does give me some relief. It is not complete relief, but I can definitely tell a difference. I had tried switching to Topomax, a drug used similiarly, but I have had better results by increasing the Neurontin versus the Topomax - could be different for someone else, though. I wouldn't base my case of the pain being nerve pain solely on your reaction or lack there of to Neurontin. Like I said, it doesn't work for everyone.

Ann

Vern S. on 11/01/04 at 10:50 (162685)

Ann-
I have beeen taking 300mg 3 times a day. I think I will call today and ask for a heavier dose. Thanks

debg on 11/07/04 at 07:40 (163130)

I had Morton's Neuroma surgery on Wed. Oct. 27. It's only been a little over a week. My toe next to my pinkie toe is numb. I don't know if this will go away or not. My doctor says that it's normal. At the point that I was at in my pain, I would rather have my foot be numb than the pain that I was in. I had severe pain on the left side of the ball of my foot. I couldn't touch my foot on the floor without a shoe. My doctor diagnosed mine by pushing in between the second and third bones on the ball of my foot. It's hard to explain where it is. It was sort of behind the ball of my foot between the middle toe and the toe next to my pinkie toe. I hope that this works, it's my third surgery since august. I am beginning to think that my feet will never be normal again. I'm in danger of losing my job if I take very much more time off.