Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Change of subject "cookware"

Posted by Pauline on 10/25/04 at 16:42 (162136)

Ladies,
I'm looking for new cookware and have examined many, but like the saying goes you never know a man until you marry him the same holds true with cookware.

I don't think you know how well it works or cleans until you actually use it. Any suggestions on the brands you use and find work well.

Some brands that I've looked at I physically could not pick up some of the pieces in the set. There were toooooooo heavy empty so I can't imagine them with extra weight from food.

I don't want to be in a 'stong' woman contest everytime I try to prepare food.

Re: Change of subject "cookware"

Dorothy on 10/25/04 at 23:46 (162157)

Many years ago, my kind in-laws gave me/us Cuisinart stainless steel cookware and it has been great. It came with a lifetime guarantee. I don't have a lot of pieces but a basic set. No regrets or complaints. Even when I have burned something beyond kingdom come in a pan, with only some slight sandblasting, it has been reclaimed! (the pan, that is, not the cooking.)

Dorothy on 10/25/04 at 23:49 (162158)

Ladies and gentlemen, Pauline.
Men use pots and pans. Women use tools. It happens, Pauline.
I will admit, however, that I guard my pots and pans jealously and get pretty annoyed when folks mess with 'my tools' (the beloved Cuisinarts) improperly! I used to tell my kids that the Cuisinarts were their inheritance, but they stopped thinking that was funny a long time ago...

Pauline on 10/26/04 at 08:46 (162167)

Thanks Dorothy,
I'll check the Cuisinart Stainless. I know I want a stainless set without any nonstick, but there are soooo many on the market now and all claim that they are wonderful. In my opinion, claims should come from the folks that use the product.

Having not shopped for cookware in a long time, I was really surprised about the quanity for sale, but more than that the weight and size of many of these pans. I don't know who has the strength to lift some of them.

In one set that I looked at I could not lift the largest frying pan at all, not even with both hands. My husband would have to put it on the range for me. All I could figure is that women are using them as a body building apparatus. Certainly gives new meaning to cooking, heavy.

john h on 10/26/04 at 10:59 (162179)

You may never know a woman even after you marry her Pauline.

Suzanne on 10/26/04 at 11:49 (162184)

I've got All-Clad and love it, but I have replaced my non-stick frying pan when necessary (no non-stick surface lasts forever) with coated quality aluminum pans from the restaurant supply store with great satisfaction and cost savings.

Linda V on 10/26/04 at 15:21 (162197)

Hi,
I never had good luck with stainless steel...had a farberware or revereware set i gave away. no way could i turn over an egg without torturing it. was there a secret i missed? so, i am a t-fal gal. but i don't buy expensive sets. no matter HOW many times i tell my hubby NOT to use metal with them..he always manages to find a metal spatula or else, even worse, an SOS pad to clean them. so i just replace the sets every couple of years. easier than replacing him..lol...

Pauline on 10/26/04 at 15:31 (162199)

John,
The law of nature says you're not suppose to. Women were born to keep men guessing otherwise they would die of boredom. No stimulation to their brain cells:*

Kathy G on 10/27/04 at 08:23 (162246)

I'm still using the Revereware I got thirty-two years ago. I do the same with frying pans - I just throw them away when they get worn and buy cheap replacements. I had a few expensive ones but I still found that the teflon wore out.

My mother had heavy black frying pans but the ones I had rusted and I never could bring myself to replace them because I don't use frying pans tha often and they were expesive. I guess I didn't season mine properly because hers lasted for years and years. Those still were the best for making a great fried egg!

john h on 10/27/04 at 11:41 (162263)

Copper bottom Revereware brings back really bad memories. Scrubing scrubing and more scrubing. It looked pretty hanging in the store but after that it was a husbands nightmare. My daughter has nightmares about polishing silver and pewter and she would not take any of our closet full if we paid her. We have our grandmothers silver, mothers slilver, and silver we got when we were married. All wives should have to polish the silver and clean the copper bottoms of pots an pans. I was an idiot and trained early that it was my job and my daughters. If it was up to me I would have melted it all down when silver was at $50 an oz and sold it. Some of our great grandmother's silver was made from silver dollars and you can still see portions of the print,etc on the knives and spoons. We also have all the china from great grandmothers on forward and 4 sets of Noritake I bought in Japan in the 60's. I could set a table for hundreds and hundreds. My wife refuses to let go of any of it.

Pauline on 10/27/04 at 12:37 (162266)

John,
Your silver headaches are over. Use a piece of Al foil and place it in a plastic dishpan. Add about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of Washing Soda, not Baking Soda. You purchase it at the grocery store where you purchase detergents.
Disolve the mixture in very hot water. I use boiling water. Add your sterling pieces.

A chemical reaction will clean the silver. Only one piece of silver needs to touch the Al foil and from then on anything that touches that piece or other piled on top will also clean by themselves. For larger pieces you will have to dip and turn them. I clean my sterling flatware this way all the time because it's quick and works well for my decorative pattern. Clean it fast even on Turkey day if you'd like, just make sure your rince it and wipe it dry. Don't let it air dry or you'll get those nasty spots.

Oh you can purchase Al plates to put in the pan if you desire, but Al foil works just fine. The plates are available on QVC.

Kathy G on 10/28/04 at 08:36 (162309)

That really does work then, Pauline. I've always wondered. As for me, I have absolutely no sterling silver because I never wanted to have to polish anything. My mother gave my sister, who never cooks, all her sterling flatware, candlesticks and serving dishes. She also got this pretty little sterling dish that I always loved and really would have liked to have. It has kind of an interesting story, one which I recently found out my sister didn't even know.

My grandfather came from Ireland and shortly thereafter his two uneducated sisters came over and settled in New York City. One of them became the housekeeper for a very wealthy family and became the patriarch's mistress. He kept telling her that he was going to leave his wife for her. Despite her family telling her that was never going to happen, the affair continued for many years and she truly wasted her youth on him. Whe she gave him an ultimatum and he refused to divorce, she quit and walked out and as she was leaving, she grabbed this sterling silver Tiffany candy dish with a kind of wreath like pattern on it that was on the table she passed. Somehow it was given to my grandfather and then to my mother. I always loved it and it was my job to polish it and our pewter lamp every single Saturday for years and years.

It's a sad story but I think it's pretty representative of the times. And the dish is so pretty and I always have loved it. Would you believe my sister keeps it in a hutch where you can hardly see it? Oh well, she still is the one who has to polish it and at least now she knows the story that goes along with it.

Suzanne D. on 10/28/04 at 16:44 (162349)

I almost seemed to hear Paul Harvey say, 'And now you know the rest of the story' as I finished reading that, Kathy. It is a sad story, and yet, as you stated, it is probably not that uncommon a tale, either.

I hope that someday you can have the dish, though. It just seems as if it should belong to you.

Would that be the sister you mentioned here whose computer you fixed and who sent you flowers in return? Maybe you can keep fixing her computer and then off-handedly remark that if she ever wants to give you something in return, you'd love to have the silver dish. Sounds fair to me!

Suzanne :)

Kathy G on 11/01/04 at 18:29 (162733)

Hmmm....I never thought of that, Suzanne. Yes, that's the sister. In fact since I last fixed the computer, they did something else to it and I spent five hours on it last week. I told her I wanted absolutely no flowers but my neck is really killing me. Maybe, if she mentions it to me, I could casually tell her how much I love that dish!

Their record for having a functioning computer is three weeks and I'm hoping they can beat that. The main problem is a fourteen-year-old who goes into control panel and places he doesn't belong. He was lost without it the days it was down so hopefully, he's learned his lesson!

It is a sad story, isn't it? And as old as time.