Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

diagnosed with pf 2 weeks ago

Posted by Michelle on 10/25/04 at 21:53 (162148)

Hi, I have been diagnosed with pf 2 weeks ago. I have been to my doctor a total of 2 times. The first time he took an exray and ruled out heel spurs and diagnosed me with pf. He gave me a cortisone shot and motron. The cortisone shot did not help at all. (I have also been off work for two weeks now, because i work on my feet all day long and the pain is unbearable.) When I went to the doctor on my second visit he told me he couldn't keep me off work for very long and i needed to do the surgery. I am not to enthusiastic about the surgery and I told him so. Then he told me about orthotics. I decided to get fitted for orthotics, but they wont be in for 3 weeks. I also got another shot to see if it would help, but it didn't. After that shot I was praying for a pair of crutches. As soon as I touch the ground with my foot I have instant tears in my eyes. I also have pain on the outside of my left foot coming from my small toe and runs about halfway back the top of my foot. Should I have the surgery or try other things? Do you think my doctor is going to fast with the surgery deal? Could this be something other the pf? The only thing he did was an exray. Should I seek a second opinion? Should I return to work in pain or get my foot healed first? Can this pain really go away? Because so far nothing has helped. Can the surgery mess my foot up for life? I have truely discovered my feet are everything and I dont want to do anymore damage then what is already done. Thank you so much. Michelle

Re: get another doctor

SteveG on 10/25/04 at 23:39 (162155)

Your doctor is one of the 'crack heads' referred to in an earlier post. First of all, it is WAY too early to consider surgery. Read the heel pain book on this site to ensure you understand the nature of the problem and all of the treatment options. If you have any questions after you have read the book, feel free to post a note.

Pete R on 10/26/04 at 13:03 (162188)

ditto Steve's remarks. Find a podiatrist NOT a doctor.

Re: diagnosed with pf 2 weeks ago

Elyse B on 10/26/04 at 15:16 (162196)

Michelle - read Scott's book at least 5 times before you even consider surgery.

Pat on 10/26/04 at 15:55 (162205)

I agree with the other posters - get another doctor. I'm scheduled for surgery next week and it's something I wanted to avoid (I had it in 1996 and it was the surgery from hell) but I've also been to physical therapy,done the cortisone route (this is the second year in a row I had PF), did the taping, icing, anti-inflammatories, orthodics, night splints and have been in an air cast for the last 6 weeks (basically because the doctor I was going to didn't diagnose a stress fracture that I had and I was in so much pain I went to see another doctor). I do have PF but a stress fracture developed and I was in such pain I couldn't deal with it. I finally went to a Pod who sent me for a bone scan and when it was confirmed that I had a stress fracture he put me in a cast. My foot feeos about 80% better (as long as I'm walking in the case) and it's uncomfortable but I'm not in pain. Long story short even after all this I'm not healing and will have surgery done next week but your doctor is nuts if he's thinking of doing it this soon. I had the surgery from hell ten years ago and I think my doctor was a quack and I suffered permanent damage from it. Now I'm having it again but I did more research, have a different doctor and feel like I tried everything else and there's nothing left to try.

Michelle on 10/27/04 at 14:44 (162270)

thanks everyone. i am going to a new doctor tomorrow. i will post and let you know what happens. Michelle

Re: diagnosed with pf 2 weeks ago

jsewell on 10/27/04 at 21:11 (162294)

I agree with the others, I have gone through all of the shots and splints and finally had a plantar fascia tendon release. It did not help. It made no difference at all. It really is early and you should make every effort to stretch, ice and stay off your feet as much as possible. Take an antinflamatory. After a while, you should get the custom orthotics because they made a world of differnce for me and I wish I had done that before anything else.