Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I've had it with this pain!

Posted by Suzanne on 10/26/04 at 11:59 (162185)

I feel like I've been nearly crippled for almost a year now, and you know why I don't do anything about my tremendous heel pain?

1. I feel I DESERVE the pain because I do not have the willpower to lose the weight that is causing it
2. I think the daily home therapy is not going to work because I use my feet every day and the pain will just come back (and I won't be dedicated enough because it takes too long)
3. I do not believe in any of the 'treatment' products (splints, heel cushions, etc.)
4. I do not have health insurance this moment and I'd rather live with the pain than without the money

And yet, I am sad and embarassed that sometimes I limp and mostly I just grit my teeth and bare the pain because of my pride. I am just being mean to myself and it has to stop. I'm ready to consider solutions.

Re: I've had it with this pain!

Suzanne D. on 10/26/04 at 14:53 (162193)

Suzanne, I am another Suzanne who posts here, and I am sorry for your pain and frustration. You don't deserve the pain. Please believe that.

Now, try to take one day at a time. Start by reading The Heel Pain Book (just click on the words). You will understand much more about heel pain after reading it and will have some practical suggestions (some which don't take much money!) to try.

I hope you can see a podiatrist if at all possible because of course we couldn't tell you for sure what is wrong and causing the pain by reading your post.

But until you can, please read The Heel Pain Book. Try taping as described in the book. All that takes is some athletic tape and practice. It might make a real difference for you. Don't go barefoot and put more strain on your arches. Wear the most supportive shoes you have. Read about Julie's yoga stretches (again, click on the words) and try them today. Then do them every day. It doesn't take long and can really make a difference.

Don't expect an overnight cure, but know that you can get better! Don't give up before you start.

Your weight loss plan will be helpful, but don't think you can't get better until you've lost a certain amount of weight. Start today doing some things that will help you.

Read here and post and ask questions. You will learn much and feel supported by others who have traveled down the same road you are now traveling.

Others will no doubt write posts with ideas for you to try and good advice. Understand that many others know how you feel and will support you with good wishes!

Suzanne :)

Linda V on 10/26/04 at 15:34 (162201)

Suzanne.
We have all been there in some way. And many of us ride an emotional roller coaster. I was feeling REAL sorry for myself last week. I have never talked about my problems with my neighbors..but for some heavenly reason, I ran into my neighbor downstairs. He had a stroke at age 48, and has spent the last 4 years wheelchair bound. But the mans attitude is unbelievable. Somehow, he was put there that day to talk to me, and it was just what I needed. He is so upbeat, telling me how grateful he was, because his life could be worse. He is so proud of himself--telling me he can cook, do dishes, clean, work on his geneology---'I just can't walk and I don't talk well, but everything else I can do just fine,' he beamed. And then he leaned over and said, 'Linda, if you set your mind to it, you can do anything you want. Just remember to follow the same philosophy that it takes to eat an elephant. One bite at a time.' And he winked at me.
I went home and thanked God for putting that man in my path that day.

Dorothy on 10/26/04 at 15:43 (162203)

Suzanne - I cannot add one useful thing to what Suzanne D. already said so perfectly, except for this: If you have been reading here very long, you already know that many, many, many of the posters here are slender and athletic. That gives the answer to your first point. As you already have noted, extra body weight is simply an added burden for our feet (and legs, backs, hearts, etc.) but it is not the CAUSE of these foot problems, otherwise no slender, athletic person would ever have it.
So, put that particular point away and get on with doing what you need to do. There is danger in using (perceived) futility and (misplaced) guilt for NOT doing what needs to be done.
Now, back to Suzanne D.'s post to you for her most salient comments -
Best wishes ~

Dorothy on 10/26/04 at 15:58 (162206)

Linda V. - Marvelous! It's why I often refer to, and am moved by, people like Lance Armstrong - or more recently, Christopher Reeve was often mentioned, and there is Ray Charles, Stephen Hawking - and these are just some of the celebrities. There are 'ordinary' people everywhere who are LIVING with, in spite of, in triumph over obstacles that range from mild to horrific. I loved your account of your experience; these are helpful moments to all of us.

Pat on 10/26/04 at 16:26 (162215)

Suzanne - I understand how you feel. I'm in a better situation because I do have health insurance but I'm still disgusted by the pain and the way I walk along (I'm having surgery next week) and I feel like an old hag. On top of that I also need to lose weight. As a result of this PF I developed a stress fracture. The Pod was trying to explain why it happened and I felt like saying 'Why don't you just say - because you're FAT lady!' That's the way I felt. I know it's not easy and I would like to be positive and say 'take the issue that's bothering you the most and work on that and everything will be o.k. in time' but I am not a positive person and all I can say is I know exactly how you feel. I feel frumpy, dumpy and unattractive and this foot crap isn't helping. In my mind, however, I'm still the size 10 HOT (of course I would be hot in my dreams)20 year old hopping on the back of a Harley Davidson! LOL!

LilCricket on 10/26/04 at 17:48 (162218)

Dear Suzanne,
First off let me start off by saying I have been battling with foot problems over 20 years now. I have tried it all... taping, exercises, shoe inserts. I too believed it was because of my weight. So guess what...I went through surgery to lose weight. I lost 120 lbs. My feet still hurt, and as time went on, they hurt more and more. Last year, it got to the point that just a blanket laying across my heal was unbelievably painful. I could barely walk, and couldn't stand no more. I let things go on so long, and get so bad that I had torn a large hole in my achilles tendon. It was almost completely severed. My only option was surgery to repair it. This required 7 weeks in a huge non weight bearing cast. Another 6 weeks in one of those ugly moon boot looking monstrosities. 3 months of physical therapy. Millions of tears and a whole ton of whining! It has by far been the most painful experience I have ever gone through, and I've had 5 children! It has been 8 months since surgery, and I am just now achieving pain-free moments throughout the day. I am now walking better than I have in years but it has been work! I have to exercise daily to keep the tendon stretched. I still have to apply heat and ice. It's a lonnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg, hard road back so don't put things off! Set your pride aside!
LilC

Carole C in NOLA on 10/26/04 at 20:55 (162227)

Suzanne, I recovered from PF at over 100 pounds overweight. Some of us find that weight is less of a factor, while others of us find that just a few pounds makes a huge difference.

I just wanted to assure you that Suzanne is right... it IS worth reading the heel pain book, and learning Julie's Yoga exercises and reading the board.

I did all of that and made my feet my top priority (after earning a living, at a desk job). In my case, I was living a relatively normal life within 6 months, though it took longer before I felt that I was fully recovered.

You may or may not be able to recover without losing weight, but I would strongly encourage you to try your hardest to do it! You have nothing to lose.

I am still attending Weight Watchers and losing weight (have lost 14.2 more pounds in the past 8 weeks, 46.2 so far this year). I would encourage you to do that, too, for your general health.

Carole C

Kathy G on 10/27/04 at 07:57 (162242)

Suzanne,

You do not deserve the pain because you're overweight. Nobody deserves pain. And you're right, there are days that you feel like saying, 'Why me? Other people seem to be able to walk circles around me, what am I doing wrong?' The fact is, you didn't do anything wrong.

Suzanne's post was wonderful, as always, and if you follow her advice, you'll be on the right track. And Carole is an inspiration to all who have tried to lose weight. I joined Weightwatchers online when I wanted to lose the ten pounds I had gained after getting PF. The only way, it seems, to lose weight when they pain is acute is through diet since we can't exercise. Remember every little bit counts and if you're trying to lose while you have PF, you should be commended but keep in mind it's a slow process because unless you can swim, there isn't much you can do to boost your metabolism. Some people with PF also find they can bicycle so maybe you could try that.

Linda's neighbor is an inspiration, too, and that's what always has kept me going. Nothing is so bad that it couldn't be worse. I was blessed with a generally optimistic viewpoint and it has helped me deal with PF but whenever I felt down, I would remind myself this is not a permanent condition. You will get better. Most people do and even if you don't recover completely, you will improve with time.

Yesterday, I went shopping. What would have been out of the question a couple of years ago, resulted in sore feet today, which may be a little sorer tomorrow but will feel normal by Friday. That's the neatest thing; you're bounce-back time gets far less.

You're just in the worst stages right now and you need to stop beating yourself up and remember there's light at the end of the tunnel. Try some of the things in the Heel Pain book. Something, or a combination of things, will help you.

Good luck and remember we're here for you!

Re: weight loss

Linda V on 10/27/04 at 11:28 (162261)

hi,
i could stand to lose some weight too. gained a bit since inactive, and of course, snack more. i find i CAN lose weight when i put my mind to it, but the last ten pounds are tough. some weeks, maybe i only lose 1/2 pound, and that doesn't sound like much. so i think of each pound as 4 sticks of butter. even if i only lose 1/2 pound, thats like picking a stick of butter off each thigh. this way, it makes me feel better. what a weird mind i have. i was always a rice krispie in a cornflake box.
keep on keeping on...

Cyndi on 10/27/04 at 15:00 (162271)

I agree too! I guess I will just have to learn to live with it. I have been DR Poor and even Insurance Poor! I will ask my DR for a release to go back to my standing job and I will hope to get some pain management.

I cannot live this anymore. No DR of three can find anything worng!

I cannot pay my bills and this cannot go on! We are thru the ceiling with Income so I have no choice!