Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Swelling

Posted by Mickey on 10/26/04 at 22:35 (162235)

Did anyone experience any swelling after your surgery? If so, for how long?

What about any discoloration in the foot and/or leg afterwards? Did anyone experience that and how long did that last?

Re: Swelling

Camilla on 10/27/04 at 10:16 (162255)

I just had tarsal tunnel surgery a week ago. If you start to swell and you can see that your toes are becoming a dark red or bluish color, time to elevate your foot above your heart. Also, ice, 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. It really does help. Good luck...

Re: Camilla

Darlene on 10/27/04 at 10:30 (162257)

Camilla:

How are you doing in your recovery? Would you share with us your surgery experience, who did it, what caused your tts etc.

Thx.

Darlene

Camilla on 10/27/04 at 10:46 (162259)

I posted my results in the TTS category. It went very very well. I have three incisions. One on the top of my foot, one on the inside of my heel and one up by my knee on the outside. I went in Monday to have my soft cast taken off and he said my swelling was wonderful meaning I hardly had any! And I even went to Wal-mart three days after surgery! I rode the little scooter, though, lol..They don't know what caused my TTS. I have always been one who wasn't able to ever sit down. I am always on the go. He said I am going to benefit alot because the nerves were so yellow. I have had heel spurs, PF, etc. I guess it all led to TTS? I don't know. But, I don't have anyhting that he listed as the causes of TTS. My surgeons names were Brett Bolinger and Charles Singleton. One is a DPM and the other an orthopedic surgeon. I am very happy with the results thus far. I guess I will have the other one done after the first of the year. I wanted to be sure and post my results because I know people can be very afraid of surgery. I am lucky I found a good surgeon. I had never had surgery before and I was so scared. There is hope for all of us, I believe.

Darlene on 10/27/04 at 11:57 (162264)

Hi Camilla.

Does 'yellow' mean healthy nerves?

OK - so the incision on the outside of your knee if for your peroneal nerve (innervates the top of your foot), the heel incision must be for your calcaneal nerve, but what was the incision on the top of your foot for? It sounds like there is no incision through your tarsal tunnel near your ankle - is that right? How did they know where to go?

Camilla on 10/27/04 at 12:19 (162265)

no, the nerves are supposed to be white...he said mine were badly discolored and yellow...they are supposed to be pearly white...he did several things to determine where to cut over the course of several months. Everytime I went in, he would barely press with his thumb on to the nerve and ask me if it hurts and it did. He also used the hammer thing alot and I had that nerve conduction test. I suppose the incison on the top of my foot was to correct the needley feeling in my toes. I really do notice the difference already. I had constant needles in my toes, heel pain and everytime I crossed my leg, it hurt and I would have to uncross them.
I have the incison for the tarsal tunnel on the inside of my heel, like all the rest of them do. (near the ankle)

Mickey on 10/27/04 at 22:19 (162297)

I am 12 weeks post op. The swelling is, for the most part in my ankle, not even near the incision. The top of my foot and my toes are still swollen some, but not as bad as they were. It doesn't go down much at night and I elevate my foot whenever possible. My lower leg and foot are still noticeably discolored. It's more of a pink color though, not as purple as it was initially. My surgeon said it's due to the surgical trauma and not circulation and the doppler was OK. Am wearing one of those surgical stockings during the day as recommended by my surgeon. I suppose it helps...

Camilla on 10/28/04 at 09:55 (162318)

Did you also have an incision on the top of your foot and up by your knee?

Mickey on 10/28/04 at 23:02 (162381)

None by my knee, but two incisions, one 1' and one 6' incision, on the top. When I asked why the second smaller incision, my doctor told me he didn't remember! Bad answer. I hate thinking this, but I've often thought something went 'wrong' during the surgery and no one wants to tell me. (?)

Camilla on 10/30/04 at 12:23 (162516)

http://www.dellonipns.com/
go to this site..these are all the doctors trained by Dr. Dellon. If I were you, I would go to this site and see if there is one in your area. Doctors scare me. It is hard to find a good one. When he says he doesn't remember, tell him to look at your chart! That is ridiculous...Good luck. I will ba anxious to hear how you are doing. :-)

Pauline on 10/30/04 at 16:07 (162557)

What a great link to provide for everyone. Thanks I plan to bookmark it. You never know when the information you provide may be needed either for yourself or someone you know that is in terrible pain.

Mickey on 10/31/04 at 01:24 (162594)

Thanks for the link, Camilla. I told him to look at my chart. He said he didn't write it down. ?????????????????????