Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

had ESWT/positive result

Posted by Monika on 10/27/04 at 08:30 (162247)

I thought I would give an update. I had eswt this summer on my very painful left foot. I also have not been barefoot in over 6 months (got new Birkenstocks....great move!) I also had pf in my right foot, just not as severe. Now: gone in the right foot (birkenstocks??) and 75% better in the right. I think that if I continue to wear the birks, ice when it hurts, I will be 100% better in the coming months. There are actually days I don't even think about pf anymore....hallejuia!

Re: I meant 75% better in left foot..

Monika on 10/27/04 at 08:31 (162248)

Re: had ESWT/positive result

Janine on 10/27/04 at 09:53 (162252)

Monika - Thank you *so* much for sharing your ESWT result. I am considering ESWT, myself, after having the condition for the last 10 years (acute pain in the past 3), but I'm sooo worried that I'll wind up worse than what I am now - not to mention the investment (insurance won't pay). It's so nice to hear a positive outcome once in a while. :-)

Elizabeth Y. on 10/28/04 at 11:00 (162325)

Monkia--at what point did you begin icing after ESWT treatments? A
nd since it has been months since your ESWT treatments, when did you begin to feel major improvement? I can't imagine a day going by without feeling pain, let alone not even thinking about it. What we used to just take for granted has new meaning to a PF patient. Which facility provided your ESWT treatments? Thanks for sharing the timeframe and progress. We all need the hope that our treatments will render similar results!!!!

I am in week 5 since procedure and have about 30 minutes per day of weight bearing activities before pre-ESWT pain sets in. Progress to me would be having one full hour of mobility before pain that requires elevation of the foot. And trying to walk again after using the foot for those 30 minutes creates challenges due to swelling and increased pain. I am thinking icing might help at this stage but have avoided it since ESWT procedure.

I also purchased Birkenstocks prior to ESWT to wear in my post-ESWT period and haven't noticed they are making any difference. But neither do expensive athletic shoes with great support that were feeling good immediately after treatment. Pressure is pressure on inflamed PF. The best the foot ever feels is immediately after soaking for 1/2 hr. in a hot bubblebath. I am taping regularly and wearing a night splint, too. But I will give it three months before seeking further medical attention....

Thanks for your and others input!

Lynn F. on 10/28/04 at 11:59 (162333)

Elizabeth, I too had pain after doing any weight bearing exercises so I stopped them. Now I just stretch my foot while sitting with my legs extended. It makes all the difference for me. I also keep my night splint on whenever I'm sitting for extended periods, which helps too.

Monika on 10/28/04 at 13:15 (162336)

Hi Elizabeth. I definitely did NOT feel great at 5 weeks post. At that point, I had some improvement, but not much. I did not start icing again (after exercising) until probably 3 months post eswt. I also take naproxen after a workout if it feels sore. Just that I can work out again is awesome.... I think the biggest thing is that the eswt broke up scar tissue. My foot actually feels different now when I massage it, not firm and 'lumpy'. I think it gave my body a chance to heal the right way. I really took it easy the first 3 months. I NEVER go barefoot (even in the shower), and I love the birks, but I think it's good to switch shoes every now & then. I just spent hours (I mean hours) painting a room in my house...on my feet for at least 6 hours straight in the birks. My legs are tired, and my feet are tired, but not my heel...weird, huh? Anyway, sorry so long. I just want to encourage you to baby your feet. Only 6 months ago I couldn't even stand outside and watch my kids without needing to sit after 15 minutes! Hope your's goes just as well.

P.S. I am not 100% yet ,but I seem to get better every day!

Monika on 10/28/04 at 13:16 (162337)

Oh, I live in the Kansas City area and I had my eswt done with the Ossa Tron...

Pauline on 10/28/04 at 16:35 (162347)

I have been wearing shower shoes for so long that it feels strange if I accidently step into the shower without them. They've become a habit.

Lori S. on 10/30/04 at 01:41 (162474)

My insurance wouldnt pay either, but if you search around, call places that provide ESTW you might find someone that you can afford. This is how I did it, my doc suggested someone 8 hours from me, but I found a doc 5 hours from me by just making calls, I live in the middle of nowhere.. as you can see by the amount of travel it took to have this procedure.... LOL(LOL,,, well that you might be able to. or like me..... took money out of retirement because I am so tired of this pf stuff).... It cost me $1000 out of my pocket for both feet.