Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Vitamins

Posted by Linda V on 10/28/04 at 08:47 (162313)

Hi,
Just wonder if anyone has done any research about the quality of vitamins..maybe even consumer reports might have done one? I have heard there is a great deal of difference in the quality of brands...and paying more does not necessarily mean its a better product. I like to take a multi, a B complex, Calcium for my bones, and I MUST take mega doses of Vit C to boost my funky immune system. Thanks for any info..

Re: Vitamins

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/28/04 at 20:19 (162368)

Linda:

I wish there was an 'official' source that we could go to for the purpose of ensuring that what is on the label is really in the capsule. Presumably, that is the job of the FDA, but they are too busy with other things. We are largely left to the reputation of the manufacturer.

If you do take a large amount of vitamin C, you may want to consider mixing different types of viatmin C. Vitamin C has been, in its pure form, known as ascorbic acid. Nevertheless there are non-acidic versions such as Ester-C, which I beleive is calcium ascorbate. Also there is magnesium ascorbate. One interesting product to me is ascorbyl palmitate. Ascorbyl palmitate is a fat soluble version of vitamin c so, in theory, it can get to areas of the body that only fat soluble viatmins like vitamin E would go. Also, being fat soluble, there is more of a repository effect, that is, it stays in the system longer. Generally speaking, the water soluble vitamins, C and B need to be replenished more often that the fat soluble ones such as A and E.

A very reliable manufacturer is Pure Encapsulations out of Massachusetts.
I beleive that they sell only to professionals. They provide assays of their products on CD-ROM for the purpose of demonstrating their regular testing for purity and quality. They tend to provide their products to the Naturopathic profession. I noticed that they are forming a new product line called 'Pure Prescriptions' which they may sell directly to the public so be on the lookout for that.
Ed

vince on 10/29/04 at 06:53 (162387)

Naturopahy + Homopathy = Quackery

Re: Vitamins..response to Dr. Ed

Linda V on 10/29/04 at 17:46 (162436)

Hi,
I did a google on Pure Encapsulations, and their website is interesting. Although they sell only to licensed professionals (didn't say NOT an RN), I found other websites claiming to sell their product. Interesting.
I take 1000 mg of time released esther C a day..I am a staph carrier like many other health care people...and a weird allergic reaction to some kind of weird virus left me with less than normal levels of IgG, or IgE..hence the Vitamin C. I would be leery of megadoses of A D E K and also that fat soluble new C you speak of. Vitamin toxicity isn't good either. Oh well, more research for me. I HAVE heard that Germany is the only country that has strict active quality control of vitamins and some herbs..and to buy products made in Germany is a good thing. Thanks for you input...

Scott on 10/29/04 at 22:34 (162452)

There is a company that tests the potency of diff vitamin brands. Forgot what its called (big help) They did rate some of the puritans pride very well (I just saw a sample)
Sinnce their prices are good I bu them.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/29/04 at 22:40 (162454)

Vince:

Naturopathy and homeopathy are vastly different areas. You really need to do a bit of research. I am neither but can keep an open mind to the subject. Homeopathy is something I have a hard time accepting as it basically states that miniscule quantities of substances that cause symptoms similar to the disease treated are somehow curative. Naturopathy involves use of natural substances including nutrition to deal with disease. Much of what is under the naturopathic banner is mainstream medicine in Germany and studied under Commission E.

Unfortunately, there is no budget in the US to investigate nutriceuticals.
If you don't have studies in an area you will not get the kind of answers you want. I think that there should be an obligation of agencies such as the FDA to see that practices popular among the public are studied, not just drugs. For example, millions of patients go to chiropractors every year. Irrespective of one's view of chiropractic, I am dissatisfied with the failure of the FDA and academia to study the modalities used in chiropractic. When millions of Americans use such a service, one should not take the attitude that such services are not worthy of a study.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/29/04 at 22:42 (162455)

Scott:
Puritans Pride does have good prices so it would be valuable to know about their quality. Let us know if you find the information about the company.
Ed

Scott on 10/30/04 at 11:39 (162504)

Dr Ed,

The website is consumerlab.com. At the bottom of the homepage you can click on the test results button and it lists only the brands that passed. I saw a rep on a TV show a while back.
Scott

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/30/04 at 15:23 (162549)

Scott:
many thanks!
Ed

Re: Vitamins..thanks scott

Linda V on 10/31/04 at 07:05 (162606)

Thanks Scott..this is very helpful.

Jean T on 7/04/06 at 08:56 (202956)

I believe that you get what you pay for. I cannot believe that a company can give away 2 free bottles for 1 purchased if the product was truly excellent. I purchase sr Dr Whitaker's formulas...his Forward Plus has literally brought me back from the dead. It has everything you need ...everything IN THE PROPER DOSE, in easy to use packets... no multiple jars to open. All of his condition specific formulas WORK!! 13 years ago, I was really in a bad way... but now I am in remission...& never get sick... NEVER.... I know people who take the cheap garbage & they are sick all the time.....The money they save on their supplements go to their numerous Dr. visits.

Dorothy on 7/04/06 at 12:54 (202973)

Jean T -

I haven't used the vitamins he sells, but I have followed Dr. Whitaker's work for many years and have been amazed many times at how far ahead of the times he has been. He was writing about and recommending things about twenty years ago that have just now moved into the 'mainstream'.
So you are probably in good territory with those vitamins. I haven't looked in a long time but back then they seemed pretty expensive; on the other hand, good quality products often are more expensive..... and if they have made a difference in one's health over time, then well worth it.