Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fascitis - 7 months on !!!!

Posted by slater on 10/28/04 at 15:00 (162344)

i was diagnosed with plantar fascitis back in march after landing heavy on my foot playing football.I have had 4 months physio and steroid injections and still have inflamation problems,my main concern is that my ankle aches constantly now and Im not sure what to do,I have been to have a bimechanical test done and was diagnosed with rear foot varus and forefront supinatis leading to pronation,does that mean I'm a cripple ?
I have been told by the padiatrist to have orthopedics at a cost of £280,seems a bit expensive?and will it cure my problems.

Re: plantar fascitis - 7 months on !!!!

Pat on 10/28/04 at 17:57 (162354)

I'm not sure what your diagnosis means but I had the surgery for PF release 10 years ago on the left foot and was diagnosed with PF on my right foot last year. I went through physical therapy, cortisone shots etc. and the cortisone shot worked and they fitted me for orthodics and I was o.k. for a year and this year it came back. And despite everything I tried (icing, taping, night splints, casting, physical therapy etc) I ended up getting a stress fracture and am now scheduled for surgery next week. I'm not happy about it and the orthodics may help you but they didn't help me.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/28/04 at 20:39 (162374)

slater:
Please don't allow some of the bad stories scare you. Most cases of plantar fasciitis are curable. Orthotics, if well made can be an effective modality. Wearing them is a bit like wearing eyeglasses and you would not refer to an eyeglass wearer as a 'cripple' or necessarily handicapped. Read Scott's Heel Pain Book on this site to get the big picture on this. Hopefully your podiatrist's treatment will do the trick for you.
Ed

David R on 10/29/04 at 22:43 (162457)

Best solution Soft Orthotics full length. Change out good shoes on a regular basis.