Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MRI showes nothing of heelspur?

Posted by Per A Persson on 10/29/04 at 13:01 (162423)

Almost 2 years ago I was diagnosed 'heelspurs' in both feet. Since then I have almost not been able to walk or stand at all (at best for maybe 2-5 minutes). I´ve been begging my doctor(s) for a MRI of my foot to try to find out the problem since nothing helps to heal my feets (and maybe surgery as last resort). At last after trying everything (orhotics, rest, ice, tejp...'everything') I´ve got a MRI and X-ray....they showed no problem the doctor said (no problem, no surgery)?!?
I can´t understand the result. I have a lot of thickened fascia under my heels, I can feel a lot of hardened bumps that hurts more or less.
What can I do? Please give som advice someone, because this problems really exists.

I cant accept the doctors saying 'heelspurs takes time to heal, just wait', because of 'sitting 18 hours a day' for 2 yars I´ve developed severe problems with pain in my back and neck that have made me almost a cripple. I´ve been off from work almost full time the last 9 month, and getting up on my feet seems to be the only solution at this time because my body breaks down without any natural movements or excercise (I can´t even do swimming without hurting my feet).

Re: MRI showes nothing of heelspur?

Dr. Z on 10/29/04 at 13:41 (162424)

Hi
Have you read or heard about ESWT?

Pauline on 10/29/04 at 13:54 (162427)

You can alway try ESWT now that through companies like United the cost is more reachable for people.

Some here have found doctors or physical therapist that use cross friction massage to break up those lumps and bumps that you are describing, and have has success or at least relief.

You might go back and read Scott's heel pain book again and look for things that you haven't tried or retry them consistantly, not one day off, both in combination with each other to see if you get some relief.

You can go for another opinion to a different doctor.

You can try having someone provide foot massages on a daily basis to see if they help you at all or you can do massages on yourself several times a day following warm water soaks and icing afterwards to see if you get any relief.

You can have surgery if you'd like, but I'd suggest you do your homework ahead of any surgery. What type would be used and how good the doctor is doing the surgery.

You can try sleeping in night splints every night along with doing the various things Scott mentions in his book like taping, gentle stretching, contrast water baths.

That's all I can think of, maybe others cab provide additional suggestions for you to try.

Pat on 10/29/04 at 21:19 (162445)

I guess I'm confused = would the MRI show the heel spur or the plantar faschitis? It sounds like the doctor hasn't seen this so why would ESWT help?

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/29/04 at 23:21 (162463)

Pat:
If the poster can actually feel the thickened fascia I have to wonder a bout the accuracy of the MRI (possibly the reading). Sometimes, sonography is more advantageous than an MRI and this may be one of those situations.
Ed

Pat on 10/31/04 at 07:43 (162609)

Thanks for your reply - I've had 4 MRI's in the past month (not related to my heel spur/plantar faschitis) and I thought the MRI would show just about anything.

Al D on 11/08/04 at 10:35 (163215)

c