Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Antidotes

Posted by Dorothy on 10/29/04 at 17:32 (162435)

Feeling a little anxious and a little depressed about the world, feet. the weather, a messy house..... you name it...havin' a bit of a bad day; so I'm just bummin' around on the internet this early evening and I see on http://www.overstock.com some Betula Birkenstocks up to size 43. Maybe this will help someone nice here. Don't know who likes/wears Betula Birkenstocks; I'm not even sure what a Betula Birkenstock is - whether it's just a model or a structure. So, for what it's worth....

In my household, on this glum Friday night, we are looking forward to the national treasure, Bill Moyers on PBS' 'Now'. I recommend it to all thinkers who still enjoy some part of their mind. He won't be on much longer and if you haven't seen his program, you've missed a lot. It will be a big loss when he retires from PBS at the end of the year.
What with the Cardinals and that other team and politics, I've been watching more TV than I usually watch in a whole year - maybe that has something to do with the mood. Anyway, I'll talk to you all some other month, some other day, some other season - and hope that all those who are hurting tonight will feel so much better in the morning. Adieu, foot friends ~

Re: Antidotes

Pauline on 10/29/04 at 19:36 (162438)

Dorothy,
Sorry you're down tonight. I think we all have our days. With the weather changing in our area and more gloomy days setting it I think there will be many people needing those light boxes just to get through the day.

The one thing I learned a long time ago is when you're down you need to change your thoughts and move your muscles. This can be done in many ways and I think you did just that by surfing the web and watching a show that you like.

Many people find hobbies to pursue, others find courses to take that interest them and some just reach for a nice book. I don't know anyone that is up 24/7 although on the surface it may seem that they are. People are often judge by the way they look, but sometimes that's all it is surface appearance. Underneath they too are dealing with down times.

Tomorrow is a new day and as long as I wake up I count that as a good day. I'm sure you do too.

Re: Antidotes True Story

Pauline on 10/29/04 at 20:10 (162439)

About 2 weeks ago I had a return visit to my doctor to get the results of some test that I had done. While sitting in the outer waiting room an older woman was brought in sitting in a wheel chair and obviously in a great deal of pain.

Soon after her followed a very attractive older petite women who sat next to me.

When my name was called, I told the nurse to please take the women in that was sitting in the wheel chair because she was in sooo much pain. I could wait. The nurse looked puzzled by my request and at first I though she wasn't going to do what I requested. She then quickly announced that since that woman would have been next anyway she could make the exchange. Wow major decision accomplished.

In the mean time, the petite women next to me started up a conversation with me and in talking I found out that she was dying of cancer. It had started as breast cancer, but now had spread throught her body. She was so cheerful and happy. I just couldn't understand how anyone that was just waiting for death could be so up beat and she explained to me that she had lost her husband 2 years ago and was really down heading for depression, but because of the great friends she had they kept her up beat and going. She said she didn't know what she would have done with out them and that in turn with the life she had left she was going to do all she could to become a special friend to others that needed someone too. She said she had come to terms with the fact that she would die, but decided to live while she was still alive and help someone else live too.

Wow, what an impact she made on my life on that day in the waiting room and I would have never gotten to meet her and learn from her had I not given up my turn to see the doctor.

Well a few minutes later my name was called and I went in to see the doctor. Oh I had my list of complaints but some how they didn't seem that large anymore.

On the way out, as I walked down the hall to check out the nurse was calling another patient into the office. The man that passed me was missing both legs and one entire arm. The nurse asked him 'John how are you doing?' and with a huge simile he replied 'just great'.

Sometimes I think we are put in places to see and learn from others around us to appreciate the simple gifts we can share and to appreciate the life that we have as perfect or imperfect as it may be. This is one trip to the doctor office that I'll never forget because measured against what crosses others that day were carrying mine seemed pretty light that day.

I truly hope that each of you will share a similar experience sometime. It really changes your life a gives you something to look back upon whenever your down.

Re: Antidotes True Story

Tina H on 10/29/04 at 20:43 (162442)

Pauline, Thanks for that heartwarming story. Despite our feet problems, we are still very lucky and have a lot to be thankful for even though sometimes we forget. Thanks again, Tina

Re: Antidotes

marie on 10/29/04 at 22:49 (162459)

It's a dreary old rainy day here too. I hate this weather it always makes my knees ache. We better get use to it because it's going to be this way for a while. Well Dorothy hope you have a nice weekend!

marie