Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

night splints?

Posted by Lori S. on 10/31/04 at 00:10 (162586)

My doctor wrote a script for night splints, I have not gone to get them yet, because I am wondering what any of the doctors here think about them. Is there any certain night splints I should ask for?... some better than others?
thanks,
Lorinda

Re: night splints?

Dr. David S. Wander on 10/31/04 at 18:00 (162647)

Lori,

Each doctor has personal preferences for night splints. Basically, there are two types of night splints. Most are a plastic shell with a soft liner that looks like 1/2 of a cast, without the front. It keeps your foot in a specific position to allow stretching of the tissue. My preference is the Strassburg Sock. It is basically an elastic sock with an extension that is brought back up the front of the leg to pull the foot/ankle into a dorsiflexed position. It is relatively inexepensive compared to other night splints and is less bulky and you can walk on it if you get up at night. Check out the website for the Strassburg Sock. My patients have had significant success with this product. I have no personal financial interest in this company.

Re: night splints?

Lori S. on 10/31/04 at 23:19 (162663)

Thanks for your input.... I have been thinking about these myself, purely because I dont know how I would be able to sleep with the other types on both feet at night...
Lorinda