Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Roll-A-Bout

Posted by Pat on 10/31/04 at 07:52 (162610)

I'm set to have PF surgery on Wednesday but since I have all these problems with my balance and 'good' foot I was really worried about walking on crutches (actually being able to pull myself up enough to start walking on them). Anyway, I was even considering a wheelchair but I think I would have the same problem (how to get out of it without putting all my weight on the PF foot). A few months ago I was at a concert and saw this lady with a walker type thing only it had a raised platform thing where you can bend your knee on so you don't put any weight on your foot - you use the other foot to propel it. It's called a roll-a-bout (if you put a search in for that you'll see a picture of it)(I would post a link but don't know how). I called up my insurance company to see if they would pay to rent one and, of course, they won't. But I called the medical supply place and they rent them by the month for $55 a month so I'm getting one. I would only probably use it to get around indoors but it seems to be the answer for me and thought other people might not know about it and just thought I would mention it.

Re: Roll-A-Bout

LilCricket on 10/31/04 at 14:31 (162633)

After my surgery, I was pretty worried about getting around on crutches. I had to be non weight bearing for at least 7 weeks, and am prone to vertigo. That was a scary thought! I was given a very sturdy walker to get around on. It actually worked out very well. Much easier than I thought it would be. I did however develop calusses on my hand that lasted quite a while.

Mickey on 10/31/04 at 22:05 (162657)

Thanks for your post. I certainly could have used one! Walkers are a pain to use too. When I did the google about the roll-a-bout, I also found hands free crutches. Great idea there too!

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/03/04 at 11:00 (162868)

Pat:
The devices are popular and seem to work well. Watch out for curbs and steps. They have always made me a bit nervous but patients surprisingly have has very few spills with them.
Ed

Pat on 11/09/04 at 11:42 (163341)

I actually had a spill the first day in my living room but I didn't hurt myself. I wouldn't have been able to do it without the roll-a-bout because I have neurological problems and I'm not that steady with my other foot. This morning I'm actually walking with the walking cast and was using the roll-a-bout to lean on. It was $55 to rent (not covered by insurance) but it was worth it. The only pain in the neck is that you can't turn corners so you're constantly lifting the front of it up. This morning I actually walked using the crutches but I'm really trying to not walk much so my foot can heal. This staying in the house is making me a little nuts though! LOL!

Bill M on 11/20/04 at 09:55 (164411)

Live in Myrtle Beach srea and would like to rent roll-a-bout walker. Can anyone help. Please email me at (email removed)