Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain on the top of the foot

Posted by Kathy G on 10/31/04 at 10:22 (162616)

I bought some spiffy new running shoes and thought they were going to work out for me but after wearing them for a few days, they actually made my heels worse and my neuroma start to hurt. At the end of each day, I also began to notice a pain on the top of my foot, just above the area where you tie the bow on your shoe.

I switched back to the running shoes I've been wearing for about four years but the pain in that area has continued and it's swollen. Some days I tied the shoe as loosely as possible and I thought it was getting better but these last couple of days, it's worse. This morning, for the first time, it ached when I awakened.

I suppose I could have OA in that bone since I have it in so many other places, including my big toes, but I thought I'd check if anyone has ever had any problem with that area of their foot. This is also the foot in which I badly sprained the ankle and that area was also affected but that was three years ago.

Anyone else ever experienced this sort of thing? Thanks!

Re: Pain on the top of the foot

Shell D on 10/31/04 at 11:09 (162619)

You might want to consider a stress fracture. That's where my pain was. Been there, done that.

Suzanne D. on 10/31/04 at 17:00 (162645)

Kathy, I'm sorry about the new pain you're experiencing!

I remember about three months after the onset of my PF, when I had begun wearing Birks and was experiencing some improvement, I overdid it one Saturday and started having pain in both feet in the same area you are describing. I had an appointment with the podiatrist the next week and told him about the pain. He looked at my Birk Arizonas and commented that the arch support might not be high enough. He reached into a cabinet and cut out two, arch-shaped pieces of sticky-backed foam and placed them on the arch areas of the sandals.

I wore them that way for about two weeks, and the top-of-the-foot pain vanished. I later removed the foam pieces as they just seemed too much after awhile.

I guess I'll never know if that's what helped the pain to subside or exactly what happened, but for what it's worth, that's my experience.

Hope your problem is resolved soon.
Suzanne :)

CRYSTAL W. on 11/01/04 at 14:55 (162714)

YES I HAVE THE SAME THING GOING ON WITH MY FOOT.I WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND SHE SAID,IT WAS A SMALL HEEL SPUR.IT'S BEEN HURTING FOR MONTH'S AND NOW I STARTED A NEW JOB IT'S WENT TO THE TOP OF MY FOOT.I'M TRYING TO FIND OUT IF IT JUST MOVE'S AROUND OR WHAT.I CAN'T EVEN SLEEP AT NIGHT BECAUSE OF IT.I LOVE PLAYING TENNIS BUT I CAN'T EVEN DO THAT ANYMORE.

Re: It's arthritis

Kathy G on 11/06/04 at 09:27 (163082)

Just thought I'd tell you that it's arthritis. I had to go have an ingrown toenail fixed and ask my pod about fixing my orthotics. The top liner of them had come loose and I thought he could glue them.

He not only had the top liners replaced but did something similar to what you mentioned, Suzanne, and added slightly to the arch support. He also added extra padding. It's only been four days but I think these are going to work out very well. The pain on the top of my foot seems to vary as all OA pain does so some days, it's not bad at all.

Thanks for your suggestions!

john h on 11/06/04 at 09:32 (163083)

I am always reminded when I read about our aches and pains of he statement 'getting old ain't for sissys'. Of course old is a matter of prospective. From my lofty perch Kathy you are a hotty young thing.

Kathy G on 11/07/04 at 09:56 (163146)

John, I bet you say that to all the fifty year olds!

I've probably mentioned it before but when I was young, I went to a wonderful chiropractor. He said that while it was unusual for someone so young so many back and neck problems, in the long run, it would benefit me. He said the worst patients he treated were people in their fifties and sixties who had been very healthy and for the first time, had an ache or a pain. They couldn't understand why he couldn't 'make it go away' and he said their pain tolerance was very low. They also had great difficulty in accepting the limitations of their body.

In other words, he was telling me that since I was born with a lousy body, I wouldn't notice any difference when I got older because it had always hurt in some way, shape or form!

This was a man who could find a silver lining in every cloud but you know what? At fifty-five, I'm noticing my friends complaining about things that have bothered me for years and I take for granted. They have a much harder time accepting that they can't do the things they did in their twenties. I did those things in my twenties, too, but they always hurt and I had to be selective about what I did. It didn't affect the quality of my life one bit and I don't remember being nearly so upset because I had, say, a stiff neck. I always have a stiff neck!