Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by milley on 10/31/04 at 19:55 (162653)

If fragments of nerve trunk are found in a patology report was does that mean?

Re: question

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/02/04 at 20:00 (162824)

It means that a portion of the nerve was taken out during the surgery. Sometimes this is done accidentally and can represent a significant surgical error. Other times, there can be a piece of nerve that is within scar tissue or in the muscle and must be sacrificed to remove the other tissue being removed. For the most part, nerve trunk should not be involved in a pathology report unless the surgery was for a problem with the nerve such as a neuroma, nerve tumor, scar tissue entrapping the nerve, etc. Fill me in on more of the details and I'll be able to answer the question more accurately.

milley on 11/03/04 at 07:56 (162849)

My new dr says that he thinks we are looking at another nerve entrapment.
They did the surgery because it had the appearance of a ganglion cyst.
Pathology report says it was 3grams of fibrous and fibofatty tissue, fragments of nerve trunk, submitted as cyst left foot. no tumor seen.
Im really sorry to ask so many questions I dont mean to be a bother. I just need answers to this pain. The dr, removed a core from this same place yesterday and sent to pathology again. This surgery was done in april and the suture site has never healed.
Thank you for your response.

milley on 11/08/04 at 07:20 (163201)

Other than a nerve conduction test, can be done to find entrapped nerves?