Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tom H/Exercise question

Posted by Elyse B on 11/01/04 at 09:22 (162677)

I ran a 5 mile race on Sunday. I was wearing my new cushioned sneakers (Mizuno Creations). By mile 4, feet started to hurt but I finished the race. Feet hurt the rest of the day and then this morning feet are absolutely fine. I kind of agree with you when you said rest does not help and exercise does not seem to make it worse. I am going to try and run this week with stability sneakers and see how I do. So far up to this point, orthotics did not seem to make much of a difference.

Was wondering again everyone's thoughts on exercising vs. not exercising.

Re: Tom H/Exercise question

Tom H on 11/01/04 at 20:35 (162745)

Hi Elyse,

I will be interested to hear other athlete's responses. I am a chiropractor and have seen from my personal experience and from my practice that athletes tend to address and respond to injuries differently. They are usually very compliant and motivated to do whatever it takes to heal. And their higher fitness helps to speed their recovery.

Unfortunately, from my experience, most patients when injured, won't follow through with recomendations. Most just wait, hoping the problem will heal by itself. They are unwilling to perform the neccessary steps long enough to rehabilitate themselves. Any soft tissue injury when it becomes chronic is difficult to fix, especially when it is directly weight bearing like a foot. Prior to my injury I hadn't treated much PF. It was a real eye opener when I got it.

I am convinced the key to the complete healing (fingers crossed) of my PF is first correcting the structual imbalance that caused the injury in the first place. In my case, that meant correcting my excessive pronation with good arch support from a proper orthotic and walking in motion controlled shoes.

I think in your case Elyse, you need to find out what is structually causing the continued irritation to your foot. Find a store where you can try on a variety of shoes and orthotics. Try everything on and see if you can find a combo that gives you some immediate relief. If not ask the C Ped what they think.

I have found icing the sole of the foot for 15 minutes when you wake up, after exercise, when you get home, and before you go to sleep, helps tremendously. It is a pain but you have to do it.

Also proper stretching of your calf muscle is critical as well. I have since discovered, that at times I was overstretcing and reinjuring my plantar fascia. It is tough to tell because there is a delay between the stretch and how your foot feels. I have continued using the wall stretch but am stretching my foot very gradually now. Due to biomechanics, I think it is important to stretch all the major muscles of the lower extremity at the same time. They will function better as a unit when all are properly stretched. Some others have recommended using a night splint. I don't know in my case if it will be necessary. I am going to be very careful with my regular stretchs and see how my foot feels. I may have to invest in one or change my manner of stretching to further my improvement.

Controlling the plantar fascial inflammation has been very helpful as well. I hiked 12 miles last Saturday through open desert over rocks and boulders, which is very hard on my feet. The herbal anti-inflammatories were very helpful. I still had heel pain the second half of the hike but it was tolerable. Unfortunately, I am probably not yet ready yet for that level of exercise. However, I did run 5.5 miles today and my feet felt fine during the run. I didn't ice after the run as I should of and my feet are sorer tonight than usual. In my case doing hard exercise doesn't seem to worsen my feet. From my experience breaking pain and inflammation cycles speeds recovery. I think it would be a good idea to take the herbs whenever you exercise. You may even consider taking them everyday until your foot heals completely. They are safe and won't hurt you.

Good luck and I hope your problem resolves soon.

Elyse B on 11/02/04 at 07:13 (162757)

thanks Tomn for that detailed response. I am not a very good stretcher I admit that. I do think my calf muscles are very, very tight. I do not like the wall stretch and I have a slant board that I use sporadically. I think I mentioned I never ever had heel pain, my pain is only in the arches which makes me think it is biomechanical and only when I run. I walk for hours in regular shoes.

I am still experimenting with sneakers. I am going to try stability sneakers and see how that works. What kind of herbs do you take, I nothing about herbal anti-inflammatories and would be interested in what you could tell me. I also have night splints but I have never gotten the results that others on this board have gotten from them. I feel more of a burning sensation in my feet with the night splints so I stopped using them.

By the way 90% of PF cases are 'curable' and treatable with orthotics.

Elyse

Elyse B on 11/02/04 at 07:14 (162758)

thanks Tom for that detailed response. I am not a very good stretcher I admit that. I do think my calf muscles are very, very tight. I do not like the wall stretch and I have a slant board that I use sporadically. I think I mentioned I never ever had heel pain, my pain is only in the arches which makes me think it is biomechanical and only when I run. I walk for hours in regular shoes.

I am still experimenting with sneakers. I am going to try stability sneakers and see how that works. What kind of herbs do you take, I nothing about herbal anti-inflammatories and would be interested in what you could tell me. I also have night splints but I have never gotten the results that others on this board have gotten from them. I feel more of a burning sensation in my feet with the night splints so I stopped using them.

By the way 90% of PF cases are 'curable' and treatable with orthotics.

Elyse

Lana on 11/02/04 at 07:32 (162759)

What herbal anti-inflammatories are you taking? I am on Celebrex now but I would like to change to something that won't irritate my stomach.

Tina H on 11/02/04 at 18:06 (162819)

Tom- Thanks for your thoughtful post. It's basic, good info which sometimes we need to be reminded of. I too am curious as to which herbal remedies you are referring to. Thanks, Tina

Tom H on 11/03/04 at 20:54 (162905)

Hi Elyse and others,

Most nutritional companies have herbal anit-inflammtion formulations. I like Vitamin Research Products (vrp.com). They have a very extensive on-line nutritional library, solid science behind them, and I think they make good products. I have listed links to the descriptions of the three products I use. In depth related articles are available there for your perusal. Often herbs have a different method of effect and as they aren't that expensive and are very safe, I tend to prefere a shotgun approach to treament and use all three at the same time.

Unizyme:
http://www.vrp.com/products/738637.html?c=1099535546542&k=/searchresults

Tumeric Extract:
http://www.vrp.com/products?prodcode=5101&c=1099535546542&k=/products

Boswlia Serrata Extract:
http://www.vrp.com/products/738237.html?c=1099535546542&k=/searchresults

I hope the info and products are of use to you.

Good luck!

Tom H on 11/03/04 at 20:59 (162906)

Hi Elyse and others,

Most nutritional companies have herbal anti-inflammatory formulations. I like Vitamin Research Products (vrp.com). They have a very extensive on-line nutritional library, solid science behind them, and I think they make good products. I have listed links to the descriptions of the three products I use. In depth related articles are available there for your perusal. Often herbs have a different method of effect and as they aren't that expensive and are very safe, I tend to prefere a shotgun approach to treament and use all three at the same time.

Unizyme:
http://www.vrp.com/products/738637.html?c=1099535546542&k=/searchresults

Tumeric Extract:
http://www.vrp.com/products?prodcode=5101&c=1099535546542&k=/products

Boswlia Serrata Extract:
http://www.vrp.com/products/738237.html?c=1099535546542&k=/searchresults

I hope the info and products are of use to you.

Good luck!

Tom H on 11/03/04 at 21:12 (162908)

Hi again,

It is important that UniZyme and other similiar Proteolytic Enzymes be taken on an empty stomach. One hour before or two hours after any food. If consumed with food they turn into expensive digestive enzymes and will not help with inflammation.

Elyse B on 11/04/04 at 07:58 (162921)

thanks tom I will look them up and see how it goes.