Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by James C. in KY on 11/01/04 at 20:48 (162746)

Have any of you doctors every performed this procedure? I read about this in a biomechanics magazine and Dr. Lawrence Fallat, DPM performs this procedure in Detroit. He said he has had very good success with porforming this surgery. The most important aspect of the procedure is to locate he most painful area of the heel. This is accomplished by palpating the heel and marking the area with a surgical pen. The most painful area is usually the medical plantar aspect of the heel, but can also occur in other places.
Approx. 4 to 6 cc of local ansesthetic are injured into the heel infilterating the area of pain and the incision site. The foot is then prepped and draped and a 3-mm incision is made on the side of the heel closest to the location of the pain. The cryoprobe is inserted, usually from medical to lateral between the plantar fat. pad and the inferior surface of the fascia.
Once the tip of the cryo-probe is accurately positioned, a three minute freeze is initiated followed by a 30 sec. defrost and another 3 minute freeze. At 1-cm ice balls form, which is sufficient to destroy the nervesand provide relief to an area approx. 3 cm in diameter. The probe is removed and the wound is irrigated using a long-lasting ansethetic and a small amount of steriod. A mild compressive dressing is applied; sutures are not necessary.
Although the low temp. destroy the nerves and reduce inflimmation, in my clinical expierence the integrity of the plantar fascia is not affected and there is no loss of sensation to the skin.

Re: cryosurgery

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/02/04 at 18:25 (162821)

I have not had any experience with this procedure, however Dr. Fallat is a very well respected and credible podiatrist. I would certainly highly recommend him if you are in his geographic location.

SKULL on 11/06/04 at 21:41 (163124)

How is it that the nerves are destroyed but skin sensations remain?

My sister is having a similiar sounding surgery on the nerves on the side of her neck.

James C. in KY on 11/11/04 at 14:14 (163576)