Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Contrast Baths

Posted by Steve on 11/01/04 at 22:27 (162749)

I am a long time suffer of PF and TTS. I have been thinking of trying contrast baths for the burning in the arch and sometimes tingling on the inside ankle and above the arch. Has any one used contrast baths and how did they do it. What temp. for the cold and hot water, how long and what order? Thank you in advance.

Re: Excellent News

denise g on 11/02/04 at 11:38 (162772)

Today I went to dr. deland in nyc for a followup appt. I was upset because the incision was still discharging after 4 weeks a bloody looking substance. He said this is normal, that the incision heals from the inside out and that the discharge will continue for weeks, but not to be concerned.
I am still to use prescription silverdine cream and kep it covered. However I can walk freely. I am starating Phy. Therapy today.
Surgery apparantly was a succes no more pain in tarsal tunnel area so far and I hope forever. Still have some incision pain but it is now lessening.
Denise

Norm on 11/02/04 at 12:07 (162775)

Great news for you! I am happy for your progress. Hopefully we all can get to the point of pain free living. These last two days for me have been very painfull. Seems like no matter what I try nothing helps. I will just hang in there I guess.

Norm

Darlene on 11/02/04 at 14:06 (162787)

That is great news!!!
Are the stitches still in? When you walk is your gait normal or do you really have to favour the other foot? I can't remember if you said there was a known reason for your tts. How long did you have tts before you decided on surgery?

Darlene

Re: reply to Darlene

denise g on 11/02/04 at 14:42 (162797)

In reply to originally had achilles tendonosis pretty badly, local dr. put me in a cam walker for months , cam walker was painful, tried 3 different cam walkers,
dr. insisted i wear them to cure achilles , however i feel the pressure caused the tss, however helped achilles. bottom line is don't wear something that hurts.
stitches were out after 2 weeks, was non-weight bearing for 2 weeks. my gait is not quite normal yet, hurt myself using walker and developed sciatica which is now subsiding as gait is improving. i had tss about 6 months before surgery, drs. in my neighborhood were giving me incorrect diagnosis. only got accurate diagnosis went i went to Hospital for Special Surgery, ankle orthopedist Dr. Deland. He is supposed to be one of the best. I still have a way to go i am only 4 weeks post op, starting pt. today.
Denise

Re: Thanks Denise

Darlene on 11/02/04 at 20:29 (162826)

I'm planning a visit to Dr. Deland. I was referred to him by a podiatrist in Phoenix. Did you have a local anasthetic or were you put out? Can a walker be used for non weight bearing ambulation or do you use it after you can weight bear a little? How do you get from the hospital to a car and home? Crutches? My good foot is now also showing signs of tts so I don't want to abuse it too much. Please keep us informed of your progress. It's one of the few good stories I've read on TTS surgery.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my ongoing questions.

Darlene

Re: Reply to Darlene

denise g on 11/03/04 at 04:06 (162840)

You have a good podiatrist. Dr. Deland is nothing short of a miracle worker in my opinion. He has a worldwide reputation as one of the best, it took me 3months to get an appt w him. Everyone in his waiting room was raving about him and thrilled with their surgeries that I met, only regretted waiting so long to have it done.
Anesthesia was wonderful, they gave me a muscle block and an iv to put me to sleep. I woke up after surgery like I wake up in the morning. A few hours later, they wheel you to your car in a wheelchair. First they train you on crutches or a walker, you still have no pain due to the block. I used a wheelchair at home to get to my couch. from the car. I used a walker without wheels , you use it hopping on one foot, or you can use crutches. I could not step on foot for 2 weeks or take a shower. I would have the surgery again in a hearbeat.

denise g on 11/03/04 at 04:07 (162841)

You have a good podiatrist. Dr. Deland is nothing short of a miracle worker in my opinion. He has a worldwide reputation as one of the best, it took me 3months to get an appt w him. Everyone in his waiting room was raving about him and thrilled with their surgeries that I met, only regretted waiting so long to have it done.
Anesthesia was wonderful, they gave me a muscle block and an iv to put me to sleep. I woke up after surgery like I wake up in the morning. A few hours later, they wheel you to your car in a wheelchair. First they train you on crutches or a walker, you still have no pain due to the block. I used a wheelchair at home to get to my couch. from the car. I used a walker without wheels , you use it hopping on one foot, or you can use crutches. I could not step on foot for 2 weeks or take a shower. I would have the surgery again in a hearbeat. I think the surgeon makes all the difference.

Dr. Z on 11/03/04 at 08:46 (162856)

Are you talking about Dr. Dellon from Johns Hopkins or is this another physician ?

Darlene on 11/03/04 at 10:19 (162863)

Dr. Deland is an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon in New York.