Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shiatsu Treatment Worked for Me

Posted by six41 on 11/02/04 at 17:01 (162808)

I lived with PF for about 10 years before I finally went to a foot doctor. Of course his only recommendations were stretching and orthotics. I was unable to afford orthotics and lived with it for a couple more years.

Like most of you, I am sure you are always on the lookout for new shoes since there are so few styles that are actually comfortable enough to wear. I standardized on Clark's with a leather footbed and no preformed arch support. This has always surprised me since I have a very high arch. Clark's and Teva sandals have always worked best for me.

Anyway, my wife introduced me to shiatsu massage and at first I did not have my practioner concentrate on my feet. Well after a holiday vacation where I had a limited choice of shoes I ended up with burning PF in my 'good' foot. After we returned I had my shiatsu practioner work hard on my feet. I saw her about every 5 weeks for an hour since that is all I could afford. After about 6 months I have very little burning pain anymore. I still have to choose my shoes carefully, but I have little day to day pain. I would highly suggest this option.

Re: Shiatsu Treatment Worked for Me

Pauline on 11/03/04 at 08:41 (162854)

Not familiar with shiatsu massage. I wonder if it is similar to the cross friction type that others were trying?

john h on 11/04/04 at 10:29 (162930)

Pauline I have a very good foot massager from Sharper Image that uses Shiatsu type massage. It uses small protruding fingers that really feel like fingers that move in all directions. It can really do a deep massage. Not inexpensive. Shiatsu is a very common type of massage.

six41 on 11/04/04 at 11:02 (162943)

I am no expect on Shiatsu, but in addition to being a type of massage, it also has a lot to do with energy work (based on the same 'system' as accupuncture). I find it to be extremely relaxing as well as physically beneficial. It's strange whenever I have to fill out a medical questionaire, I am tempted to put my practioner down as my regular doctor.

Julie on 11/04/04 at 16:24 (162966)

Pauline, shiatsu is an oriental massage technique that works to remove blockages along the energy pathways. It's sort of like having yoga done to you, if you can imagine that.