Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Big BIG Mistake! TTS surgery!

Posted by Marsha G. on 11/03/04 at 13:55 (162872)

I think I have made a big big mistake. I had tarsal tunnel (release of the nerve) on 10-25-04. Left foot. I was told, I would be in a cast from monday to friday and then in a walking boot after....I cannot stand the boot (air boot) as it puts my foot in a position that causes pain Well next monday will be 2 weeks and I am still in a wheel chair. I cannot use the crutches as I pulled muscles in my shoulder the second or third day using them. My leg that the surgery was performed on(left leg) is shrinking and I am in a great great deal of pain. I did not make any plans for help as I 'thought' I would be ok. I also had inflamatin on the tendon. How long will I feel like I made a big mistake....? I do not tolerate pain medications due to them causing nausea. Most of them do to me. I am taking Darvocet and unless I take two it does not touch the pain then I have to deal with the nausea. My foot and leg feels cold to touch and I am not happy........I do have a history of RSD in this same foot but so far I do not think it has flared up......Please Please someone tell me when I will stop crying???? Am I just a big cry baby?

Re: Big BIG Mistake! TTS surgery!

denise g on 11/03/04 at 15:05 (162876)

You are only 10 days post surgery, it would make sense that you are stil in pain. I had to lay with my foot elevated over my heart for the first 14 days to prevent swellng after tss surgery. I was suprised that you were told you could be in a walking boot so soon after surgery, everything I read was a minimum of 2 weeks non-weight bearing.
I hope you have been in touch with your dr. , and I wish you all the best.
Can you use a walker?
I read tss is a rare affliction, mostly ballet dancers get affected with it, but I don't think any of us are ballet dancers.

Norm on 11/03/04 at 16:11 (162882)

I am a 41 year old man that has been suffering with pain in my foot for at least 12 years, I had tts surgery 10/06/04 & am only now beginning to have some relief. Lots of burning & sharp pains since surgery. I have not gone back to work yet, I see the doc next thursday. He told me that 2-3 weeks was average before one could go back to work. I think that I am at least one month away before going back to work unless a miracle happens. From what I have read here this is a long process & everyone will heal at their own pace. I know it gets tough at times but you must stay positive. You will get there. Come back here often & let us know how your doing. Lots of good people here who will help as much as they can. Sounds like you need something stronger for pain.

Norm

chrisb on 11/03/04 at 17:52 (162888)

Marsha I had the surgery in March. You sound like you're in pain and worried, and I can remember that. The first 4-6 weeks I had a lot of painful swelling, particularly the first 3 weeks. Had to lie with the foot elevated all the time. I was told to put partial weight on it from the first days -- I used a walker and found it pretty essential. Easier than crutches and you might try that. Thank god I had a helpmate in the evenings or I wouldn't have eaten much for the first while when just putting my leg down caused painful swelling within a minute or two. My leg didn;'t feel cold to the touch though so I don't know what that might mean. Call your surgeon and ask if you're worried about that.

Bottom line - don't expect a miracle in 2 weeks. Your foot has a lot of recovering to do. Take heart. When your stitches come out things will look better.
Keep posting to this list and let us know how you're doing.
Take care.

Kim on 11/03/04 at 19:02 (162895)

Hang in there I am 7 1/2 weeks postop & trust me have my good days & bad days. I did not even get my stitches out till the 5th week and have beeen only 1 week without crutches. I take pain killers about 3 times day & get nauseated still,but helps with the pain.

Ann L on 11/03/04 at 22:11 (162910)

Marsha,

You definitely need more pain relief. If you cannot tolerate pain medication because of nausea, talk to your doctor to see if he can add a medication for the nausea. One that is often used for nausea is phenergan and using it with your darvocet will not only help the nausea, but it also increases the pain relief. Narcotic medication like darvocet and nausea medication like phenergan work together in what is called a synergistic effect. You are still early in your recovery, and not having adequate pain relief actually henders your healing. Talk to your doctor about it and also let him know that the air boot is causing alot of pain, may need adjustments!

Ann

chris on 11/04/04 at 09:08 (162925)

Marsha everyone is different and every doctor is different.

Although, I am quite surprised that you were told to switch to the boot cast after only a week. I wore a 1/2 cast thing for 3 weeks - that's when my stiches came out and then switched to a boot cast. I hated the boot cast - it felt very uncomfortable.

Becuase the surgery is on your foot - it is truely very difficult to rest your foot to let it heal. As a doctor or PT told me - you use your feet all the time.

It takes time and trying to judge whether your surgery is a success after only a few weeks is premature. I had my surgery iin Nov '00 and it wsn't until at least Feb or March '01 until things really improved.

{{{hugs}}}}

Geri on 11/04/04 at 14:19 (162953)

Marsha: please heed Ann's advise. After surgery 1 year ago I took vicodin 2tabs and phenergan. This was a great help. You have to get ahead of the pain and then you can start tapering down. I also did not drink enough fluids the first week and got a bladder infection. That was uncomfortable and the antibiotic added to my nausia. I started the phenergan again and it took care of it. Neighbors, friends and family if near, need to be enlisted now to get things for you ie; walker, medicines at the pharmacy, lot's of liquids and juices. When you feel better you can start on the vit's. My leg was cold. To this day I wear socks to bed everynight since the cast has been off, even this summer and I live in Florida. Other ways to get the circulation going after you have the stitches out and are out of a cast is warm baths,and a heating pad. I now fight cramps in my arch and I love to wrap the heating pad around my foot while I'm watching tv or reading, of course on low.
Please take care of yourself and get help. You have a great support system here of fellow foot sufferer's with vast experience,use them. I did not heed my own advise, I was a 'lurker'. No excuse except I had never done this before, so you are way ahead as your seeking help and asking questions. Good luck and take care.

Anne G on 11/04/04 at 17:37 (162978)

I just had TTS surgery on 10/27 and just wanted to share my experience so far. I've had worsening TTS for 3 years and have been through all the usual tests and treatments. I had surgery on my left foot and was in a bulky dressing and sent home with a walking boot. I was only to get up if absolutely necessary for the first 3 days and only with the boot on. I kept my foot elevated and used ice packs, 2 hours on and 1 hour off. Pain was minimal, more discomfort, but I took pain meds the first 3 days. Dressing was changed by doctor 5 days later and I get the stitches out next week (1 week and 6 days post-op). I'm getting up a little more with the boot and still have some discomfort which is relieved by rest and elevation. Because of the limited movement, the boot and dressing, and stitches, I can't tell yet if I have any relief from the pain and numbness I'm used to. I enjoy this board and it's good to read other peoples experiences.

Marsha G. on 11/08/04 at 08:00 (163203)

Thank You all for your words of encouragement....I really feel like this helped me when nothing else could. You all have walked this path and know what I am talking about.
I retured to the Dr. on Friday. Received stronger pain medicaiton and nausea meds.....The RSD has flared back up. By the time I made it to the third floor of his building, my foot was purple in color and changing before your eyes....also felt like a block of ice......He re-casted it to keep it from not moving. Even though you are not suppose to cast a RSD limb, he had no choice. Time he put the cast on it felt better....so my friends, I am in a non walking cast, still painfull if I hold my foot down, using the wheel chair and not at all happy but I have received great support from friends and family once the word got out how poorly I was doing........I get depressed on some of these long days, but I have caught up on my reading and current events.......the only thing that really bothers me is my mom is ill and just got out the hospital yesterday....
Take care and please let me hear from you.....by the way, 4 to 6 more weeks for me......per Dr.

RonB on 11/08/04 at 09:56 (163210)

I agree that a lot of TTS surgery is done before all avenues are examined. Pain is a very difficult thing to live with. I too had TTS release surgery in June of 2003 with no relief of pain!! In November of 2003 I was diagnosed with neuropathy and TTS was a related condition. I have now been suffering in great pain for 4 years now. My advice is to never give up. If one doctor is not helping find another. This is a great web site for all with TTS...

Good Luck and Take Care ;-)

Ron

Marsha G. on 11/14/04 at 18:30 (163908)

HELLO TO EVERYONE, I HOPE ALL IS OK WITH YOU. TOMORROW IS MY THIRD WEEK SINCE TARSAL SURGERY. I DO PRETTY WELL IN THE DAYTIME. I KEEP MY FOOT ELEVATED. IN THE EVENING AND NIGHT MY FOOT SWELLS AND THE PAIN IS PRETTY INTENSE. I AM STILL IN A NON WALKING HARD CAST. CRUTCHES ARE FOR THE BIRDS. MY RIGHT HIP HURTS FROM ALL THE OVER USE AND MY LEFT SHOULDER IS PAINFUL. I RECOMMEND ANYONE HAVING TO USE CRUTCHES TO WORK OUT PRIOR TO SURGERY AND PRACTICE ON THE CRUTCHES. AFTER THREE WEEKS I AM JUST NOW TO THE POINT I FEEL CONFIDENT USING THEM. I DO NOT RETURN TO THE DR UNTIL NOV 30 SO I HOPE I GET AN INVITE FOR TURKEY!HAHA
THIS IS THE HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER ENDURED. I HAD A MAJOR ABDONIMAL SURG SOME YEARS AGO AND IT WAS A BREEZE COMPAIRED TO THIS.....
EVERYONE TAKE CARE.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL.....
MARSHA