Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel

Posted by Robert B. on 11/03/04 at 19:02 (162894)

It is great that there is a board to find out personal experiences with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrone.

Today I was diagnosed with TTS and Pantar Fascitis, the Doctor is trying relieve the pain without doing surgery. I was injected with a Corta-Steroid shot (hurt like H_ _ _!!), foot (heal) taped / rapped and given exercises to do with a two week follow up. I do feel some relief, but not much.

My question, did anyone go through this?

Thank You

Re: Tarsal Tunnel

denise g on 11/03/04 at 19:13 (162897)

A few years ago I was diagnosed with plantar fascitis and was able to permantly knock it out with physical therapy and stretching exercizes that I do to this day.
My Dr. dose not give steroid shots for tss, good luck to you I hope it works. i had it work once for shoulder pain and worked beautifully.
Denise

Re: Tarsal Tunnel - long post

denise g on 11/04/04 at 06:30 (162918)

I wanted to share what I found most helpful after my foot surgery, a raised toilet seat with handles to help me boost myself up. I had rented the roll a bout, which would have been great but the dr. put the cast up to my knee and I couldn't bend it to put it in the roll about. I also had a walker and borrowed a wheel chair. I couldn't shower for two weeks and found these disposable washcloths that were pre soaped and had lotion in them that made you feel clean and wonderful as if you had showered.
I was fortunate that my husband was able to take two weeks off and help. I was in the den on the first level , slept on the couch and spent the days in a recliner. I couldn't go up the stairs until the splint came off which is where the kitchen is so he had to bring me all my meals.
I am 5 weeks post op , went to work after 3 weeks for desk work only, no field work yet. I have a way to go , I still have some incisio pain , but rarely even take an advil. I wish everyone well and success with healing and hope that my experience can shed some light. (I suffered with severe pain for over 7 months) and viewed surgery as a blesssing.
Denise

chris on 11/04/04 at 09:13 (162927)

I was first dx with PF - treated with PT, shots (hurt like heck - ask for the cold spray, it helps) the ultra sound thing (sorry I can't remember the acroyn but there is a board on it) taping, boot casting...pretty much everything.

Finally, dx with both pf and tts, at which point my doctor said surgery is necessary. Yes I know now that surgery was not automatically warrented - but that was before I found this board.

Anyway, I was lucky - I had surgery in Nov '00 and have remain pain free today.

Good luck to you!

Re: Chris

Darlene on 11/04/04 at 09:36 (162928)

It's good to hear another TTS success.

Would you share what they found as the possible reason for your tts and who did your surgery?

Re: Chris

chris on 11/04/04 at 10:24 (162929)

Thanks, its why I continue to read and post on this board.

I know there are so many that have not has successes. I just wish I knew why mine was so successful.

I do consider myself very, very lucky as I had so little information on tts when I had my surgery.

I remember when I first started having pain. I had read something about tts and thought to myself - nope I don't have that. Turns out that I did.

Even more lucky for me was that my pod while treating the pf finally gave up and said time for surgery. I was excited! You can't imagine my frustartion when the ortho told me she was going to treat my pf with everything I had just done for past 4 -5 months. I literally bawled like a baby.

Turned out to be a good thing as the new ortho was the one who had me tested for tts. I still clearly remember the day. She had called me at work, asked a few questions and said I think you have tts and schedule the nerve test.

What they found when they did the surgery was some fatty tissue around the nerve and a vein.

I am a military spouse and had my surgery at Bethesda Hospital in Maryland.

LARA on 11/04/04 at 10:57 (162939)

I was finally diagnosed with TTS after 3 years of misdiagnosis. I was crawling around the floor at times. The doctor recommended surgery, but while I was figuring when I could schedule 3-4 months off my feet he gave me compression socks. They were magic for me. I've mentioned it several times on this board (I feel like a broken record - I think someone has referred to me as Queen of the Compression Socks), and they don't work for everyone. But they are noninvasive, very easy to try, not a very expensive treatment (about $20.00) and I never did have the surgery. I'm not cured, but the treatment allows me to live a nice life and lets me avoid surgery. E

denise g on 11/05/04 at 04:28 (163002)

Lara,
Where do you find compression socks? I wonder if they would help while i'm recuperating fro surgery, for 20. it's worth a try. can i find them online?
it's still hard to shop.Denise

LARA on 11/07/04 at 09:42 (163139)

I got them from my podiatrist, but I've also seen them in drug stores and medical supply stores. I assume they can be found on-line too. In fact, I think I saw them on Amazon (go figure). I'll check it out for you.

They are generally advertised for people who have varicose veins, but its the same thing. You can tell they are compression socks because they have a number on them something like 'mild, 10-15# compression'. (not sure of the numbers)

I used both milds and moderates when I started.

I understand many people use them following surgery, but it wasn't me so I'm not sure of the specifics as to when and why.

Re: Tarsal Tunnel-compression socks

LARA on 11/07/04 at 10:01 (163147)

I found compression socks on Amazon.come. YOu have to be a little careful. There are really at least two types of socks I found advertised as compression socks, and only one would I consider therapeutic (although I love the other ones OVER my anklet compression socks).

The ones that don't advertise as 'mild' or 'moderate' and don't give a compression number (e.g. 20-30mm hg) I don't believe are the therapeutic type of compression socks. I can get these in the local grocery store and love them. But they don't provide enough compression for me as a treatment.

If you go to amazon.com and then
1. click on the icon in the upper left hand corner if it says something about health or personal products and then enter 'compression socks' in the search
OR
2. click for the menu where is says SEARCH, then click on 'Medical Supplies'
and then enter 'compression socks' in the search.
OR
3. where is says BROWSE, click on the Health and Personal Care under New Stores.
enter 'compression socks in the search