Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

best new shows

Posted by Linda V on 11/03/04 at 20:44 (162904)

hi,
anyone have favorites like me? i love the new Boston Legal, Desperate Housewives, and Lost.....much better than all that reality tv..although i still tune in to The Apprentice, and Survivor. I did catch 2 episodes of 'he's a lady'..and have to admit that 2 of them are prettier than me!

Re: best new shows

Susan S on 11/03/04 at 21:10 (162907)

I just love Desperate Housewives. I haven't seen Lost yet, but I've heard good things about it, plus you saying so, so I'll look for it. For 'reality tv', my favorite is What Not To Wear.

john h on 11/04/04 at 10:57 (162940)

I have not seen any desparate housewives around here. I have seen some desparate husbands.

john h on 11/04/04 at 11:02 (162942)

Really like Boston Legal and Denny Crain. The star of this show is really a fine actor and plays his part to the hilt. Also have got hooked on Lost. Intriguing sort of show and leaves you wondering about the various people.. Not much into reality shows. I liked the orignial survivor but since then everyone seems to be want to be actors and play to the camera. Almost seens scripted.

Re: best new shows..john h

Linda V on 11/04/04 at 12:43 (162948)

Years ago, William Shatner in an episode of Star Trek played both a female and male personality within his same body. He was excellent. It sort of reminds me of Denny Crane...he can be both very smart and very out-of it. Can definately see David Kelleys influence in casting here. Alan Shore reminds me of Morton Downeys role in Alley McBeal. Agree about Lost..more and more mysteries about who these people really are and how they will evolve.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/04/04 at 14:41 (162958)

I am hooked on Lost. For some strange reason, the 'hunter' guy is what I think John H would be like.

Kathy G on 11/04/04 at 16:23 (162965)

Oh Richard, that's so funny! I know what John looks like and know he doesn't look like the 'hunter' guy but watching last night's episode, I thought of John. He'd be the type who'd go out and hunt the wild boar, all the while helping the kid to knock his drug habit.

Not that we have you mixed up with Superman or anything, John!

I have taped every single episode of Boston Legal and we still haven't watched a single one. We want to watch them in order so I suspect it'll be a while before we are current. They introduced Denny Crane at the end of The Practice and he's just great. And I agree that the Allan Shore character is like Robert Downey's character on Ally, Linda.

We tend to tape all our shows and then fast-forward through the commercials. That way we're watching TV when it's convenient for us and it also gives us something to watch on the nights that there's nothing on we like.

I loved Monk, can't wait for it to start a new season. We're catching up on Desperate Housewives and love it. We used to love West Wing but the writing is pretty bad this year. We also like Without a Trace, NCIS and Cold Case. Can you tell we're both mystery readers?

Actually, this year, we've found several shows we like, way more than usual. We both like American Dreams, and my daughter, who's 24 likes it, too, which makes it a true family show. Not that she lives at home anymore. And we really like Jack and Bobby on the WB.

I must admit; I've never watched a reality show. The whole premise doesn't interest me. My daughter, a Sociology major, said her professors were fascinated with the first 'Survivor.' I don't know if they continued to watch all the spin offs.

Is there anyone old enough to remember Chicago Hope? It was a David Kelly show and featured Peter MacNichol (John in Ally McBeal) as the lawyer for the hospital. In a running story line, he was defending the hospital in a suit filed by a mentally unbalanced person, who claimed he was sane. This guy was totally obsessed with the Red Sox. In the finale, when the case went to court, in order to prove the guy wasn't psychologically sound, MacNichol's character kept whispering to the guy, 'Bucky Dent. Bucky Dent.' Naturally, the man lost it and the court saw that he wasn't totally of sound mind. It was hilarious and a great inside joke for those of us who live in the Boston area, which is where David Kelly grew up.

Linda V on 11/04/04 at 16:28 (162968)

Kathy,
I loved Chicago Hope. I thought Mandy Patimkin (sp) was SO hot. And I love how he sings...I think MOST of my favorite shows have been David Kelly shows. Don't give up on West Wing. Its getting better, and now with Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda joining it...I think it will revive.

Kathy G on 11/04/04 at 16:37 (162972)

We're online at the same time, Linda! Yes, they're definitely bringing in Jimmy Smits next week and you know a show with him in it is going to be easy on the eyes! I just liked it better when Tommy Schlammy and Aaron Sorkin were writing for it.

john h on 11/05/04 at 10:35 (163017)

I was a regular viewer of Chicago Hope. Seems we like a lot of the same shows Kathy. I also love all the English mysteries shown on PBS. The English just have a way of doing great mystery without blood and gore. The more recent series about a detective in wartime London in the 40's was really great. Where they get all those old vehicles and period clothing is beyond me. Even the Spitfires that were up close and really flying were authentic. The shows are very historically accurate as to dress and the problems people faced during the war in England. Being a big history buff I learned some interesting stuff I never read in a history book while being entertained with a great mystery. On one show there was a building the Chief Inspector on a murder case needed to get into but was rebuffed because it was supposed to be a top secret facility manufacturing something high tech Turned out to be a facility making coffins for all the war casualities they expected when the Germans were expected to began bombing London. They did not want the population to know about this. Early in the war there were daily dog fights over the English channel and the English were losing pilots faster than they could train them. This was all acurately depicted in the series.

Re: great almost-new show

Carole C in NOLA on 11/05/04 at 16:39 (163047)

My favorite show is on at least its second season. It's Joan of Arcadia. I think maybe it is meant for teenagers but it tackles spirituality on a fundamental level that even an agnostic old lady like me can relate to and find fascinating. Even better than the intellectual interest.. the people are NICE, real, people who care about other people, have values, and are searching for truth and meaning in their lives. And they still have difficulties but somehow at the end of the show, everything works out and good prevails. Tears of joy.

OK, this is not a show for tough guys! But I just adore it. It's about people that I feel are like ME, and I like them. :)

Carole C

RACHAEL T. on 11/05/04 at 21:37 (163063)

I, too enjoy Joan of Arcadia! I got hooked on it a year or so ago & my husband smiles when I say I'd rather stay in & watch it than go somewhere on a Friday night! He watches it with me & we both agree that it has a good & uplifting storyline as you also said. Another show that I like on tv is The Gilmore Girls....Have you watched it? It is quick, witty, & different - & yet 'family!'

JudyS on 11/06/04 at 02:34 (163073)

Richard that 'hunter' fella used to play a ship's captain on JAG and he always reminded me of John h. And now, on Lost, he still does!

JudyS on 11/06/04 at 02:44 (163074)

Desperate Housewives is very cute - although I admit that I had intended to boycott it and 'Swapping Wives' jus because of their titles! Terry what's-her-name is as good as ever.
Reality - I'm still hooked on Survivor. It's hilarious to watch those deliberately-chosen personalities evolve.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/06/04 at 17:44 (163107)

Rachael, I haven't watched The Gilmore Girls yet. I'll try it! Thanks. :)

Carole C

john h on 11/08/04 at 11:21 (163224)

I am hooked on Lost. Lots of mysterious people with mysterious past. I like the Korean couple. What is up with the wife?