Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

hyperbaric oxygen

Posted by Scott on 11/04/04 at 16:08 (162962)

I have heard hyperbaric oxygen therapy helps some people with peripheral neuropathy, rsd and other nerve problems. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Scott

Re: hyperbaric oxygen

Pauline on 11/04/04 at 16:15 (162964)

I don't think its been discussed before so I'm interested in what others have to say about this treatment.

Dr. Ben Pearl on 11/05/04 at 12:39 (163029)

I think a more cost effective treatment and more beneficial treatment is annodyne (Infared )

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/05/04 at 14:40 (163041)

Scott:
Two methods of hyperbaric oxygen application exist. Local application with a small chamber -- questionable results. Second, a complete hyperbaric chamber --the method that emerses the whole body. Originally use to treat divers with the 'benz' from surfacing too quickly, hyperbaric chambers seem to help heel diabetic ulcers in patients with poor blood flow. It has been tried on other things and would need to do a search. The biggest variable is the amount of time a patient can be kept in a hyperbaric chamber.
Ed

Scott on 11/07/04 at 09:55 (163145)

Thanks for the reponses. I know of one person one who was helped greatly by hbot, shortly after a nerve decompress surgery, but there seems to not be a great deal of proven research for this pricey treatment.
Scott

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/08/04 at 10:05 (163212)

Scott:
I suspect that there may be something to the advantages of hyperbaric oxygen in your friend's situation. Just curious as to how he managed to procure the huyperbaric oxygen considering the somewhat restrictions placed on care by third parties. I agree that a lot more research needs to occur in this area.
Ed

Scott on 11/11/04 at 19:02 (163615)

Dr Ed,
She had to pay out of pocket, 200 x10-20 treatments. Have read positive and negative about this, would have to find out more before I spent that kind of money. Thanks for your interest.
Scott