Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Teenager considering Accutane

Posted by Kathy in KY on 11/04/04 at 17:18 (162975)

My daughter's dermatolgist has recommended that she take Accutane for her acne. She has tried low dose antibiotics & other treatments for about 3 yrs. I am very cautious of this but she would really like to start college with clearer skin. Anyone have advice regarding Accutane?

Re: Teenager considering Accutane

Linda V on 11/04/04 at 17:23 (162977)

Hi,
My niece did it...and she was ok. However, she had to have lab tests done every so often. Make sure the doc you are using is VERY familiar with accutane.

Tina H on 11/04/04 at 18:01 (162980)

Kathy, after trying everything else for way too long for my son's acne, we used it last year. He was 16. It took a while, but when it finally started working, it worked like a charm. I wish we had tried it sooner, but I was scared. He unfortunately has some minor scarring. There are some nasty side effects like very dry skin and his cholesterol and triglcerides went from low normal to high normal. Also birth defects are a very serious issue for girls. He was finished last spring and has never even had so much as a teeny pimple since. He uses absolutely nothing on his face now. It's amazing! Good luck. Tina

Kristie on 11/05/04 at 13:53 (163035)

I'M 34 and had very bad acne. I started using Proactiv and have had wonderful results.I wished I tried it years ago. You have to order it by mail. Ther phone number is 800-950-4695

Kathy in KY on 11/05/04 at 19:21 (163054)

Thanks to all the replies. She has tried Pro-Active, not much success.
I am hesitant for her to try the risker medication but her Dr. is going to take blood tests for monitoring her levels during the process. I guess the acne has been very troubling for her, more than I knew because she is eager to try the Accutane. Hopefully, I'll be able to post good comments in a few months.

Kathy G on 11/06/04 at 08:48 (163080)

A friend's son took it with excellent results. It's not a drug to be taken casually but as long as she has a good doctor who closely monitors her bloodwork, I think it would be safe. They'll take her right off it if her blood shows any irregularities.

Acne can be so devastating that you hate to say she shouldn't take it when it has such a success record. How old is she? She knows how careful she'll have to be about the sun, right?

My daughter had some acne for a time and wanted to ask the doctor about it but I pointed out that he would have mentioned it to her if she was a candidate but her acne, though major to her, was actually minor. She did outgrow it but I remember how much it bothered her and if it had become cystic we would have definitely considered Acutane.

Keep us posted! I hope it works for her.

Kathy in Ky on 11/07/04 at 20:04 (163182)

She is 16, just got her drivers license & is very responsible. Her past medication has limited her time in the sun, so she is used to not getting tanned. She won't start Accutane until around Thanksgiving vacation and should start seeing results in a few weeks. I think the dermatologist wants her to try this medicine for about 6 months. Thanks for your kind thoughts.