Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FEP Blue Coverage? attn Jack V

Posted by EleanorH on 11/04/04 at 17:18 (162976)

Jack posted a note last week concerning FEP Blue covering one treatment per six months. I was told by FEP that each filing was considered on an individual basis. If you have more info as to how the insurance was filed, please let me know. My podiatrist tells me that he has been denied everytime he has filed with FEP Blue and was reluctant to even file my claim. My cost for one treatment was $1800 and I'd love to recoup part of that. Thanks

Re: FEP Blue Coverage? attn Jack V

john on 11/05/04 at 06:23 (163003)

EleanorH

Can you share with us how you are doing post ESWT?

EleanorH on 11/06/04 at 18:08 (163108)

My ESWT was done 9 days ago. I still have pain but it's not a 10 as soon as I get out of bed. I'd rate my most severe pain as an 8 (late in the day) now and most of the day it is about 6. I do my stretching religiously, rest a lot, and sleep in a night splint. I am so optimistic about the outcome. Just hope it continues to improve every day. So far, no regrets. Thanks for asking.

john on 11/07/04 at 07:23 (163129)

EleanorH,

Thanks for the update. I hope that everything continues to improve.

Pat on 11/14/04 at 11:03 (163886)

Hi,

I also have FEP Blue and through a search on the internet I was able to find the statement or policy or whatever you call it by FEP Blue saying they consider the ESWT experimental and won't pay for it. They're 'considering' adding it but I just got my new benefits booklet for 2005 and found out they changed out Physical Therapy so that now we have to pay $15 for each session (before it was 10% of the cost so it came out to about $6 a session). I am disgusted about that change! I just had EPF surgery - apparently FEP Blue doesn't have a problem paying for surgery. One other tidbit of information that I found out - FEP Blue won't even allow federal employees to have pre-determinations done to see if they'll pay for it (I found this out while researching another test I need that is $5,000 - that can't tell me what portion will be paid until AFTER I have the test. I don't think so).