Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Using Dorsi Wedge night splint--but my feet go to sleep! Rec for other brand?

Posted by Mary in CA on 11/05/04 at 00:09 (163000)

I'm not tightening it particularly tighly--any looser and they wouldn't hold my foot. Perhaps there's a better brand to try?

I can't take the pain any more!!! It's been 14 months now and it's getting worse, not better. My other plan is too take off 20-25 pounds to see if that will help before I consider anything drastic. I've already dropped 9 in the past couple weeks.

Re: Using Dorsi Wedge night splint--but my feet go to sleep! Rec for other brand?

Susan S on 11/05/04 at 11:07 (163021)

I looked up the Dorsiwedge on the internet and the one I saw did not have the diagonal straps. Do yours? When people talk about tightening them, they usually mean shortening the diagonal straps so that the boot tilts your foot up more. If you click on night splint it should take you to Scott's page of night splints for sale. The right night splint should help a lot if you're like me.

Congrats on the 9 pounds. That's really good.

Re: Using Dorsi Wedge night splint--but my feet go to sleep! Rec for other brand?

Susan S on 11/05/04 at 11:11 (163022)

Also, night splints can make my toes go to sleep. If that happens, I take them off for the rest of the night, loosen the straps a little and wear them the next night. When you can go a whole night without numbness, tighten them a little. Eventually, as things stretch out some, the numbness should go away. That's what happened with me, but I'm not a doctor, and you should listen to what your body tells you.

Mary in CA on 11/06/04 at 11:05 (163092)

Oh thank you!!! I woke up this morning with my toes asleep. You're right--there are no diagonal straps on this one. In order to keep my heel down enough to get that stretching angle, I have to tighten it too much. Maybe I'll spring for a new night splint--that page of them is very helpful.

Thank you so much!

Mary

Susan S on 11/09/04 at 08:45 (163323)

You're welcome!