Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

After tarsal tunnel surgery??

Posted by Norm on 11/07/04 at 20:09 (163183)

I am almost 5 weeks post op from tts surgery & feel like I am not even near ready to go back to work. How long were any of you off work? The last few days I have had alot of pain in my achiles heel area, anyone else expeirence this?

Norm

Re: After tarsal tunnel surgery??

Geri on 11/07/04 at 20:39 (163185)

Norm: It has been a year but I remember vividly how the pain moved around as different areas of nerves woke up! Even still I have my heel hurting one week and side of my foot the next week, and then theres the big toe that most always is irritated at night. I had 3 incisions for my nerve release so maybe thats why it is always moving around. I can say I could not have gone back to work for several months after my surgery. Many others have gone back within a month or two. Everyone is different and has a different recovery time, and a different type job. Patience is so difficult with this surgery it tests you at every turn. I know you are tired of hearing 'Keep a positive attitude' because you hurt, but this is so important as you take this journey. Keep posting and asking questions. There are so many who have been there and will try to give you answers.

denise g on 11/08/04 at 15:00 (163259)

Norm,
I went back to desk work after two and 1/2 weeks, have had good days and bad days. I try to stay off a lot. I may be going back to field work, although limited, visiting 2 or 3 people a day, I am a probation officer and my job really needs to be in the field. If I cannot go back into the field permanently after a few more weeks, I will have to switch jobs.
Good luck to you. I know that it is disapointing to have a long recovery after a wait for diagnosis and then a wait for surgey.
Denise

Kim on 11/08/04 at 20:34 (163287)

Norm: I am supposed to go back to work next week. my job requires 12 hours straight on my feet & i am scared about going back to work next week, i shared this with my manager & my manager told me to get a work slip from my doctor stating only to work 8 hours a day . very supportive but i am still scared because without the pain meds i could only be on my feet for 2-3 hours.Still having pain at incision site & at the arch , the top of the foot & the foot still fells like 200lbs & with a lot of pressure. The one other person who had just the TSS ( i also had the deep peroneal nerve done)stated she did not feel any better till about the 4th month (its been 8 weeks since i had the surgery).The other thing I am a little scared about is I started having pain in the inside bottom of the foot going back up the heel.(Just like before the surgery ) I am going to call the doctor in the am about this.I also started taking b12 once a day to see if it will help.I keeep telling myself to hang in there, but some days are rougher than others & with the cold & snow starting to fall it has been really rough.

Julie on 11/09/04 at 02:45 (163302)

Kim, eight weeks isn't long enough. You can't go back to work now if your job requires you to be on your feet for any number of hours, let alone eight or 12. Please ask your doctor to sign you off for at least a few more weeks. If you are still in pain, a standing job now of any kind will make you worse. Nothing is more important than your health.

Mia on 11/09/04 at 06:28 (163304)

I also had the Deep Peroneal done. Only one incision on the anterior side of my foot. (about 4 inches long) Caused by a crush injury. It was almost 2 weeks ago and have been doing well since. The main pain I'm dealing with is the incision site. This is tough, but its not as bad as I thought 'it would be' going into it. The only set back I've had - my 12 year old lost his balance and came down full force onto my foot 2 days ago! Boy did that hurt:(
I also fear the thought of ever being able to stay on my feet for long periods of time in the future...Jobs I've done in the past have always required 8-12 hour shifts on my feet. Tomorrow I see my doctor again and want to go over this with him. I'm scared, but I also realize that there isn't much I can do about it. Let me know how your doing!
Good luck!

Mia

denise g on 11/10/04 at 14:36 (163464)

Mia,
I had surgery 5 weeks ago and had been doing very well, however have recently developed horrible pain above the incision, physical therapist said it is just scar tissue forming and they will work to break it up. I am becoming nervous and afraid as I had been doing so well. It also affects my job as I am a field worker who can\t do field work. I pray we will all be well.
Good Luck,
Denise

Kim on 11/10/04 at 17:48 (163482)

Thank you for the advice ,I called Dr. Popavichi this am & expressed my concern about the 12hours, he wrote me an excuse no more than 8 hours a day at work .So I don't have to worry about getting mandated at work. I told him about the pinching pain above the incision site on the inside of the ankle & the pressure plus the heaviness of the foot & he said I am overdoing it & to rest more & quit pushing myself so hard.He also told me I can't tell you what to do & its my body,but i need to get the other foot done. So keeptaking the pain meds & rest more.

mary R on 11/16/04 at 21:02 (164123)

I had tarsal tunnel surgery and that was almost 5 months ago for neuropathy. I feel like I have a ball in the ball of my foot. I flex my toes and It feels like it is so tight with a ball in the ball of my foot. I also have burning in my foot and up my legs. Does any one have burning. pLease respond. thank you and may God stop this horrible pain for all .