Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Autologous platelet concentrate injections

Posted by scott tompkins on 11/09/04 at 16:14 (163369)

hello. I have had PF in the arch area for almost 3 years. I have tried everything non-surgical method there is out thereacupncture, eswt, prolotherapy, art, anti-inflamatories, orthotics, cortisone shots, stretching, strengthing, night splint, physical therapy, anodyne, rest, ice.

Is there anyone in the us practicing the autologous platelet concentrate injections. This is where you own blood is taken (20cc) and then prepared and you get about 3cc of apc+, then this is injected into the problematic area.

It sounds like a great thing to try, but i do not know who may be doing this?

Re: Autologous platelet concentrate injections

Dr. Z on 11/09/04 at 17:52 (163375)

Hi

Glad you asked. I will be evaluating this procedure in Dec. Please e-mail
Dr. Z at (email removed). Once I am 100% sure of the date and how many cases the company is allowing Dr. Z to do I will do announing this to the heelspurs.com board. Yes this sounds very promising alone and in conjunction with ESWT.

scott tompkins on 11/10/04 at 10:50 (163435)

dr z, i emailed you directly and it bounced back a standard reply.

I am interested in the study you may be doing with the platlet technique. My doctor stated i would be a good candidate.

Thank you
scott tompkins
va beach, va

Dr. Z on 11/10/04 at 11:27 (163446)

Hi
I got your e-mail and sent you a reply

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/10/04 at 18:14 (163484)

I don't know where you are located, but I believe that Dr. Barrett is performing this procedure in Texas. This is the same Dr. Barrett that 'invented' the EPF procedure.

Dr. Z on 11/11/04 at 16:22 (163593)

Dr. Wander,
There is an article in Podiatry Today written by Dr. Barrett.

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/12/04 at 21:31 (163773)

Thanks Dave, I did read that article. I find it interesting that although Dr. Barrett inveneted the EPF, he makes no mention of the procedure as a treatment option for plantar fasciitis in the article!

Dr. Z on 11/12/04 at 21:51 (163774)

I will keep you posted on the procedure I perform. I will be doing a few in combination with ESWT. My goal is too reduce overall pain reduction time

Dian V on 11/13/04 at 22:27 (163870)

Wow, just doing research on this myself. I have PF with heel stress fracture and my doc is recommending this procedure. He said the same thing.......20cc blood taken and then 2cc injected into my foot. Sounds Franstein-ish, but he said it would help heal (heel, ha) alot faster. He said he's had great success with it.........