Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Celebrex

Posted by Alice D on 11/09/04 at 16:56 (163373)

How safe is Celebrex?

I am (perhaps unreasonably) uncomfortable taking this drug given the current circus surrounding Vioxx.

Can I substitute Sodium Naproxyn for Celebrex? How much Naproxyn (alleve) is safe to take?

Re: Celebrex

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/09/04 at 18:19 (163376)

Alice:
The class of drugs that Celebrex is in is being questioned for long term use. If you are using it for a short period of time, I would not be too concerned. How soon we have forgotten the large number of emergency roomu visits that occurred with gastrintestinal emergencies including bleeding from the gut due to use of the 'classic' non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Naprosyn. Everything must be placed in perspective. Presumably, if one has no history of gastrointestinal problems, one can take 2 Alleves with meals 2 to 3 times per day. Many will find that this is okay for short term use but the incidence of gastrointestinal problems goes up with time used. When it comes to PF, I would encourage treating the problem directly and limiting use of such drugs to a 'stopgap' measure.

See Scott's Heel Pain Book for more information.
Ed