Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Scheduled eswt

Posted by tyshea on 11/09/04 at 22:44 (163411)

I am going to get eswt done on Nov. 15 2004. i will keep everyone posted about my recovery and outcome. tyshea

Re: Scheduled eswt

Lori S. on 11/10/04 at 00:47 (163416)

Tyshea,

Best wishes... I am almost 6 weeks post eswt. I am feeling alot better than i was a couple weeks ago. It has been an improvement from the beginning, but I did have some really bad days. Just remember to follow your docs orders. I hope you have read here , there is alot of great information. If you have any questions, or just wanna talk to someone about getting ESWT, (I know I felt better when I knew how other people dealt with it) you can email me at (email removed).

Lorinda

Connie H. on 11/10/04 at 09:03 (163431)

Tyshea,

I, too, have scheduled ESWT, but mine isn't until December 21st, so you can bet I'll be following your progress with great interest!! It was such a relief to finally make a decision, and have something concrete set up, don't you think so?

Lori, S. thanks so much for continuing to post. I am soo interested in the experiences, good and bad, of those who've already had this treatment.

EleanorH on 11/10/04 at 12:15 (163452)

Hi folks. I enjoy reading the progress of others. My ESWT was done 2 weeks ago. Every day is just a little better -- not pain-free but better. I even notice times when I'm not limping so much. I sleep in my night splint and do my stretches. I limit the amount of time I walk. I didn't take any extra time off from work but my work is a desk job. I pray that we all see total success in the weeks to come.

Re: payment for eswt

MaryO on 11/10/04 at 20:07 (163493)

I've had the ESWT. Has anyone else in NE PA had it and had Blue Cross pay in the past year? My doctor advised me it would be paid. Blue Cross says its investigative and refuses to pay. According to my doctor, she has had Blue Cross patients that have been covered.

Dr. Z on 11/10/04 at 22:21 (163500)

Mary O
You doctor or the equipment company that supplies the machine should submit a pre-determination to see what your benefits are and if they cover the procedure. IF you tell me your exact type of policy I may be able to give you more information.

EleanorH on 11/11/04 at 09:12 (163524)

Dr. Z -- I'm not Mary O but I'm curious about information concerning insurance payment. I have Anthem through the State of Virginia Employees policy and my secondary is FEP Blue (Blue Cross/Blue Shield). I have my ESWT two weeks ago. My podiatrist said that FEP Blue told him not to file anymore claims for the procedure because they would not pay them. I still asked him to file both my primary & secondary. I haven't heard from either yet but was wondering what experience you've had with either or both. This message board has been such a comfort. Although I don't like the political discussions, I love being able to read how others are doing, etc. So far for me -- I'm doing better. Thanks ever so much.

Dr. Z on 11/11/04 at 11:02 (163545)

Hi Eleanor H

Your podiatrists correct both federal and Anthem didn't cover ESWT services at this time. There was a time that Anthem did cover ESWT services. They stopped about one year ago is my estimate.
As far as ESWT healing time. I have found that ESWT healing takes time, time time. One day you feel good and the next day you have daily. Pain is directly to activity. Most will take up to 16 weeks or more to see a significant decreasae in pain .
Still have you podiatrist give you claims forms to file YOURSELF to have on record that you had an ESWT service. Good luck.

Place on 11/11/04 at 11:45 (163557)

MaryO-
I have Blue/Sheld Anthem. They paid for ESWT in the summer of 2003. However, they will not pay for another round or from what I heard for anyone else these days.

Pat on 11/14/04 at 10:55 (163885)

I know when I checked (I have BCBS for FEDERAL employees) I was told that they didn't pay for federal employees (apparently they don't care what are feet are like) but they do pay for other employees. It really depends on how the health plan was set up. Do a search for policies of your particular insurance company (I actually found the thing that said for Federal employees they won't pay because it's experimental)) and you may find something. I ended up having surgery on 11/3 because apparently my insurance company loves to pay for surgery.