Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

very painful feet and feeling depressed

Posted by karen g on 11/10/04 at 16:04 (163472)

hi i am feeling so very depressed and not sure what to do? my feet are in so much pain! to walk on them brings me to tears this is the worse my pain has been. I have had pf for 12months and ive rested most of this time,am now wearing orthodics but their not helping,also ive iced my feet not doing this now because my feet are always very cold and the ice makes them worse. Am doing the yoga exersise and am getting a cast on my right foot tomorrow the doc at hospital said it needs rest. I have just got a wheelchair so i can get around a bit and go out.Is anyone else suffering servere pain and dont want to walk and has anyone useing a wheelchair to make life easy. Somedays i feel like i dont want to go on living my life in this amount of pain and being able to do much....I would be greatful for any replies. thanks

Re: very painful feet and feeling depressed

Darlene on 11/10/04 at 16:48 (163475)

It's great that you found this board. When things are really bad they usually begin to get better.

One thing that you said was that you have cold feet. Did you have cold feet before the pf? I have very cold feet too, but it's from nerve compression. Heat feels great.

Suzanne D. on 11/10/04 at 17:22 (163479)

Karen, I've always thought that one of the worst things about the pain of PF or other foot problems is that it is ever-present. When my pain was intense, it just seemed that I could never get it off my mind. I got so tired of thinking about my feet! Every step hurt, and there were always those necessary, almost constant plans that had to be made to try to reduce my steps. That was wearing on the mind and emotions. And, yes, it really hurt. It hurt to walk, it hurt to stand, it hurt to drive, and it hurt in the night and woke me up with the hurting.

I say this to let you know I understand your frustration and depression. I also want to tell you that I am much, much better! It has been three years since the onset of my PF, and I can go for long periods of time without even so much as thinking about my feet! I still am very careful and wear Birkenstocks, don't go barefoot ever, and still do the yoga exercises. My feet are stiff and sometimes I have minor pain, but I am most grateful for my progress.

If your orthotics don't seem to be helping, I would suggest you go back to the dr. who prescribed them and ask for help. If you've already done that with no success, I would suggest you see another doctor. I know that is frustrating, but you need someone who will work with you until you are better.

If you haven't already, read The Heel Pain Book (just click on the words) for good advice and understanding. And, about the ice, from my understanding, ice is mostly helpful in the acute inflammation stage. I have found, and many others have agreed, that heat is more helpful later.

I do wish you better days ahead and hope that you can find some answers soon, Karen. Do keep posting and reading; this site has been a life-saver for many of us!

Take care,
Suzanne :)

RACHAEL T. on 11/10/04 at 17:41 (163481)

Hang in there Karen. I can ditto Suzanne D's note to you as I, too have had PF for 3-1/2 yrs....& I can still remember how much pain I was in as you are now. I can also recall changing my lifestyle in order to cope with the physical pain & the emotional stress. Now, though, 3-1/2 yrs. later, I am much improved. I can ride my horse every other day; I can shop, but don't overdo it; I can walk around all day & only think of my feet when I need to change shoes for different activities that I do. I wear riding boots with my orthotics to do daily barn chores for 2 horses & to ride, I wear Brooks Ariels w/ my orthotics for walking a local trail, I wear SDOs in slippers for real relaxation, & I wear Birks alot too for everything. I have also learned to rest my feet thru the day - which I never did before. I have learned to 'listen' to my feet as they whisper - & not wait for them to begin 'shouting!' I suggest to you that you take comfort knowing that I, Suzanne, & others have come a long way in our foot health & you will too! Try to be patient. And use caution in your actions. Wear Birkenstocks if you can, as they have helped immensely, & if you can, find a good pedorthist - who will work w/ you & your orthotic fit. Do hang in there...it will get better-but I thoroughly understand your woes - it takes forever & then some to 'feel' the healing & the improvement.

skull on 11/10/04 at 18:46 (163490)

I have tarsal tunnel and an osteochondral defect with a mass, and yes, it gets depressing. I sat down and just cried the other night because I am getting so scared it will never get better.

I don't have a wheel chair but a few days this week have wished that I did.

Then there are the times I just feel ticked off about how it seems that no one is helping, everyone asks stupid questions but doesn't want to listen to a truthful answer - I could just explode on someone.

I'm in the process of changing my lifestyle. I am so sick and tired of my direct supervisor - he thinks I am just 'acting gimpy' but he's a 24 year old ego driven idiot. If I had a red button to blast someone off the fast of the earth he'd be first.

You hang in there. Don't be so angry with yourself, and if you want to cry, just try not to completely lose your faith.

Julie on 11/11/04 at 01:30 (163507)

Karen, I hope the responses from Suzanne and Rachael have made you feel a little better - I agree with all they've said, and am very sorry that you are in such pain.

Just a couple more thoughts for you. If you have been in pain for 12 months and have rested for most of that time, and if orthotics are not helping, I would wonder if you have been diagnosed correctly. Such severe and persistent pain may mean ( I am not saying 'does' mean) that there is something else going on with your feet besides PF, and that would mean that you should be looking for another doctor.

Is your present doctor a podiatrist? If not, you should find one (the search facility on the Ask the Doctor board may help). If he is, and has not been able to help you all this time, you really ought to find another.

Very cold feet all the time suggests circulation problems, so you're wise to have stopped using ice, which can make things worse.

I wish you all the best.

Pat on 11/11/04 at 09:45 (163531)

I just had surgery for PF (after trying everything known to mankind) but I had gone to several doctors before I found my present one and kept telling them that the PF felt different since it felt like my foot was broken. My present doctor sent me for a bone scan and it turned out along with the PF I had a stress fracture. They ended up having to do surgery (after 8 weeks in a air cast) because it just wouldn't heal but at least I knew it was a fracture and not just the PF.

john h on 11/11/04 at 09:56 (163536)

Along with Julies post about cold being an indication of a possible cicrulation problem it also might suggest internal vericose veins which you cannot see and which can cause tarsal tunnel syndrome. There is generally no harm in wearing 'support stockings' which is used to treat some circulatory problems. They allow the blood to better circulate in the feet. cost is minimal and you can usually find them at the larger drug stores

john h on 11/11/04 at 10:17 (163541)

Cold feet seem to be some sort of gender things with the ladies. This should generate some good response???

Cyndi on 11/11/04 at 12:09 (163558)

I also know this feeling. It hurts to even think of getting up when 'mother nature' calls and you have to make yourself get up!
This time of year is good for finding some things that are harder to find the rest of the year. Look at your drugstore ads for the Plastic Foot Baths , they are wonderful for a hot massage, add some ebson or good smelling salts. Also the lap heating blankets are good for warming your feet if hard to wear shoes. Also good for just your side of the bed! :-)
I tried during the summertime to find some of these and nearly imposssible.

Just watch the Sunday Newspaper ads.

Re: very painful feet and feeling depressed - This will HELP

Debi on 11/12/04 at 11:35 (163713)

Z-Coil Pain Relief Footwear. They are kinda funky looking, but I have a friend who had what sounds like an identical problem. She says they ahve given her a whole new life.

Michael on 11/17/04 at 18:57 (164200)

Hello Karen I am in the same situation you are in very painful feet and feeling depressed. This November will make it two years my pain is always there 24/7 I can't even get a minutes rest without being in pain. My pain is in the arch area just burns, burns and more burning. I am so fed up of living like this if you want to call this living. I take oxycontin for pain but that just takes the edge off. I have been to many doctors with no diagnosis. Some say this and some say that. The one thing for sure my feet just won't stop burning the pain is about to make me go crazy. Karen do you ever get any relief from your pain? Here is my email address (email removed) I'd appreciate sharing pain experiences on how you handle them. All I do all day is try and find ways to relief the pain. Thanks, Michael

Tiger1 on 11/22/04 at 13:35 (164544)

Karen, You are not alone. I have suffered from PF for four years and I know exactly how you feel. I am pain from the moment I step out onto the floor and the pain gets progressively worse, so that by evening my ankles are swollen and the muscles in my legs are painful. I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun. I have just completed ESWT and to be honest I feel worse. I cant offer any cures for the problem but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your suffering and depression. I have had the very same thoughts as you. If you get any relief, and I hope you do, let me know. Valerie

frank c. on 5/22/05 at 01:14 (175453)

hello,i have also been spending 90% of everyday in bed for over 9 moths.i am a diabetic.i had a 20 foot jump at work over a year ago which started my back hurting and later my feet and knees.since im diabetic they said the jump triggered neuropathy,im in constant pain.the drs.throw medication at me and send me away.it doesnt work.im only 33 so im having trouble getting my disability,i cant be a heavy equipment operator anymore,plus two weeks ago i find im going blind,i have 20/80 and 20/400 eyesight they cant fix only keep where it is i have retinopathy.im very depressed also.ive lost a lot and still loosing.no income.my family supporting me,when ive always been the bread winner....frank

Nil on 9/11/05 at 20:39 (182704)

Hi Karen...hope you are doing much better...I am having the same symptoms as you...have PF and my feet are getting very cold...I am going to ask my doctor about it...while my feet get cold the pain penetrates in my bones. I've been w/ PF for 2 weeks and I'm feeling frustrated as well...when I read that some have had it for years it doesn't give me any comfort...I guess we have to pray for endurance...

TROSHI M on 10/13/05 at 19:49 (184756)