Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

As I promised. 1 year since EPF surgery

Posted by BudP on 11/10/04 at 23:23 (163504)

To all,
As I promised,I told everyone I would keep posting for a year to inform everyone on my progress regarding my EPF surgery. So on Nov.10th 2003 I had the EPF. It was a fast year and I have to say there were very few set backs.After a couple months I over did it a little and I had to take it easy for a few weeks.The arch of my foot bothered me on and off with weird pains and tingles for about 6 months nothing very painful,but I was constantly worrying that maybe the PF was starting to flare up everytime there was a tingle.I walk about 3 to 6 miles everyday and use the cross trainer every other day for about an hour. I have no PF pain at all and really haven't had any since the surgery. I'm so glad that the surgery was a success for me.I never thought the pain was ever going to stop.After over 2 years and all the treatments,not to mention over $10,000.00 spent out of pocket.I still wear NB842 shoe and have a couple pair of the Birks Arizona soft sole.I want to thank everyone on this site for the help suggestions and prayers.Soon I may be jogging again.I'll be checking in and out .Take care and thanks again.

BudP

Re: As I promised. 1 year since EPF surgery

Dorothy on 11/11/04 at 00:17 (163505)

BudP -
I'm going to be the first to step up to the microphone here and shout Hurray!! for you. What wonderful news. It is so thoughtful of you share this important report and I have no doubt gives much hope to many here.
It is also wonderful to read that you are able to do quite a lot of physical fitness activity. Well, we congratulate you and join you (I'm speculating) in your feelings of gratfulness for this good outcome. It's ok to say Happy New Year to you, on this your special anniversary. I wish for you the rest of your life good, happy walking!

Julie on 11/11/04 at 01:43 (163509)

Hi Bud

As one of the sceptics who urged caution on you, I too congratulate you on your recovery. I'm no less sceptical about surgery now than I was a year ago, and I would still urge caution on anyone considering it, but I am delighted that your story has been a success story. Thank you for posting it, and I hope that your foot health continues good for a long, long time.

Place on 11/11/04 at 08:14 (163519)

Hey Buud,
congrats, when did your pain start to resend? could you tell you were doing better at 6 mts. or was it a more gradual occurance over the 1 yr? also, did you take it easy during your recovery?

Sorry so many questions!

Pat on 11/11/04 at 09:39 (163528)

Thank you so much for your update. I had the PF surgery on 11/3/2004 so it's only been about a week. I had this surgery ten years ago and everything that could possibly go wrong did. It took almost a year for me to find out they cut a nerve during the surgery and screwed up whatever else they did but my foot has never really been the same. This time it was with a different doctor, in a hospital surgicenter, and the after effects of the surgery were so different than the last time. I had very little pain (the first time my foot swelled so bad the skin peeled off my toes) and I'm up walking on crutches now. I had a stress fracture also so I'm not overdoing it. I get half the stitches out on Monday so I'll talk to the doctor more but I'm so glad you are doing o.k.

john h on 11/11/04 at 10:02 (163538)

Bud you are the man!!!!

Dr. Z on 11/11/04 at 11:36 (163553)

Glad you donig well, wish your pockets was so light . I can think of alot of other things to spend %10,000 bucko's on. Take it slow with jogging

Sher A on 11/13/04 at 11:29 (163827)

Bud, I've thought about you throughout the year. I'm so so happy to hear that the surgery helped you! I'm still too chicken to have it done. In the meantime I've found out that my PF is due to rheumatoid arthritis. I finally went to see a rheumatologist who has helped me more than ever, but I still hurt. The 5th pod I saw recommended it. It really would be nice if pods would recommend that people see a rheumy before suggesting surgery. Happy holidays to you!

Re: As I promised. 1 year since EPF surgery/to Place

BudP on 11/15/04 at 11:56 (163979)

Place,
I knew within 1 week that the surgery had worked. The never ending constant first step pain was gone.At about 8 weeks I over did it and started to feel some pain in the general area. I just stopped everything and gave it a rest. Then just started over again. For about 3 or 4 months there was a tingling feeling where the first step pain always hurt. It felt like a low electric current,but it gradually went away. It never hurt but was a constant reminder. The best thing you can do is during recovery is,when it starts to hurt stop everything until the foot starts to feel good again. Take care. Bud

Re: As I promised. 1 year since EPF surgery/To Julie

BudP on 11/15/04 at 12:08 (163980)

Julie,
Thank you for all your advice.I've read a great deal of your posts. My first impression of you was that you were a close minded person possibly just a little bitter about life. But over the past couple years I've come to think that you genuinely care about people and have thier best interest at heart. Thank you for everything. I've even taken a couple yoga classes at the Wellness Center.If I was able to do more with my knees and arms I would do more Yoga. I'm starting to get a great deal from it,thanks again. Bud

Re: Bud

Julie on 11/15/04 at 16:58 (163998)

I know that's what you thought, Bud, and I'm glad you've changed your mind. Thanks for your post and my best wished for your continued good health. And for your yoga, should you continue with it.