Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Richard-saw a pedorthist last night

Posted by elyse1 on 11/11/04 at 06:28 (163514)

Richard I saw another pedorthist last night at Eneslow shoes in NYC. It is a big shoe store and the salemen are pedorthists. I had an 'assessment'. Watched me walk, looked at my feet etc. I brought in my new running sneakers, Mizuno creations and my orthotics that I had made by my prior pedorthist. Okay he said that the Mizunos have a high arch in them and orthotics would not work for me in them. He also said he would like to see me in a sneaker that is deeper because my ankles are not rigid. He feels that the orthotic raises my heel up and the Mizuno does not have enough support. He had me try on Nu Balance 991 (which I looked up and are stability sneakers). He then put a Barton's wedge (reversed because he thinks I suponate a little) in my sneakers and told me to try that. He also said, which I of course knew, is that your orthotics are only as good as the sneakers you put them in. So once again, I am confused. The problem with all this is that I go to the places and everything feels comfortable. As you know I can walk and stand for hours in regular shoes but it is only when I try to run that the arches start to hurt, it feels like my feet turn in and I land on the arches when I run. I believe part of that is the ankle issue.

IN any case have you ever heard of the Barton's wedge and what do you think of it? I am still at square one with my Mizunos and running with pain. I was thinking of trying out that PCS thing that they sell over the inernet.

Any input would be appreciated.

Re: Richard-saw a pedorthist last night

Place on 11/11/04 at 08:37 (163521)

Hi Elyse,
I am no doc, but after reading your post I was reminded of a muscle in the foot (I think, not 100% certain) that goes on the inside of your foot that attaches to the bottom, that is supposed to help support your arch. I wonder if strengthen that muscle would help. Have you had PT?

Elyse B on 11/11/04 at 09:07 (163523)

Hey Kim. I did do PT and we tried to strengthen my ankles. I am about ready to give up the running and just walk. I just don't get it, I can walk for hours, wearing regular shoes but the minute I start to run, then whammo the pain comes back. Go figure. Do you know what exercises one would do to strengthen that muscle?

Place on 11/11/04 at 11:17 (163549)

My pt gave me circles to do. Did you ever feel pain in the heels?

Elyse B on 11/11/04 at 11:25 (163551)

never, I am pretty much pain free all the time except when I run and then I feel it in my arches. Do you mean circles with your ankles?

Place on 11/11/04 at 11:43 (163555)

Wow, no pain in heels. I am begining to wonder myself if you have PF. Have you ever gone to a doc and given him the symptoms and asked them to diagnose it? I wonder if you went to OS that you might get a different answer.

Yes ankle circles!

Elyse B on 11/11/04 at 12:30 (163560)

I have had an MRI, diagostic ultrasound etc. etc. 4 podiatrist in their 3 minutes office visits said I had PF, one was not sure. All of them prescribed orthotics because it is a huge money maker. I doubt if I went to an orthopedic surgeon they would come up with a diagnosis. I am thinking it could be neuropathy. It is just so odd that it only hurts when I run, not any other time. I am wearing the crappiest shoes today and I walk barefoot all the time. How can one get a straight answer when every podiatrist prescribes orthotics with barely an examination?

Place on 11/11/04 at 15:56 (163587)

I don't know. I guess we just have to keep trying till WE not the doc's figure it out!

Dr. Z on 11/11/04 at 16:10 (163588)

How much running are doing daily. What kind of surface?

elyse1 on 11/11/04 at 20:17 (163632)

I have started to run but have not yet gotten to my 4 days per week which I was doing before this foot thing. I have only run on concrete since I began running 2 years ago. I ran 3 miles tonight. the pedorthist put a Bartons wedge in my sneakers. A little better but not great. As Place said I am on my own with this not for lack of trying. I repeat either I have not found the right combo of sneaker/inner soles or it is neuropathic.

Kathy G on 11/12/04 at 17:02 (163742)

I never had pain in my heels unti I went for PT but my Pod still said I had PF. Wouldn't a Pod be able to diagnose neuropathy? I know little about it and I don't know if an MRI would show it.

Elyse, maybe you just need to ease your way back into running. You may not ever be able to run as much as you used to but some is better than none, right?

It can be very infuriating to find the right combo of shoes and orthotics. My advice when you find the right shoe is to buy multiple pairs of it. I am on my sixth and final pair of running shoes which I just wear all the time, not for running. I'm having a devil of a time finding something that is as comfortable as it is but I keep bringing home shoes and trying them.

elyse1 on 11/14/04 at 08:43 (163881)

Hi Kathy. I am not sure podiatrists can diagnose neuropathy, the want to send me for an EMB but frankly I have had neuropathic pain once before in 2001 and there is no real treatment. Just drugs (Neurontin etc.). So I don't see the need for taking that test.

I am easing back into running. I had my best day in 6 months yesterday. I ran 6 miles at a nice easy pace with relatively little to no pain. I ran about 3 this morning because I did not want to push it.

It is definitely infurtiatiing because as Place says, we have to be our own sources of information and not to trust doctors. I feel I am close to finding the solution. I think I like my new sneakers and the answer to me feels like either the sneaker and finding the right inner sole. so far the Barton's wedge and the Mizunos seem to be working. Of course i had a little twinge in my ITB but I will take that over foot pain any day.

I have no grand illusions of running a marathon. I am very pleased to be able to run 4-6 miles..