Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Study

Posted by john h on 11/12/04 at 09:45 (163688)

Yep! Now we have a new study that has hit the national news on a product that raises the good cholesterol (CHDL). Even though one may have an acceptable total cholesterol it is considered very very important to have a proper level of CHDL (good cholesterol) This is the cholesterol that carries away fats in the blood. Acceptable in the range of 45-60. The statins help a little but not much. A recent study found that combining Niacin with a Statin does the job of raising the CHDL. Several drug manufacturers are rushing to come out with the Super Cholesterol pill that combines the statin and niacin in the correct proportion. As many of you know Niacin has always been a consideration for cholesterol in homeopathic treatments. It's downside is it often causes peoples face to flush. Before I tried Lipitor I tries Niacin and it happened to me. A new study every day that is what it is all about.

Some recent and not so recent studies of good things: coffee/not decaf, aspirin, red wine, statins, sex

Re: New Study

Kathy G on 11/12/04 at 16:43 (163736)

Hmmm.....a new study on sex? How did I miss that? :)

Dorothy on 11/12/04 at 16:48 (163739)

John H wrote: Some recent and not so recent studies of good things: coffee/not decaf, aspirin, red wine, statins, sex

Comment:
Well....duh.... (except for the statins!)

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/12/04 at 23:16 (163781)

John:
One can avoid the flushing effect of Niacin by taking so-called 'no-flush' niacin which is Inositol Hexaniacinate. The general advice given is to go up to 750 mg. per day without the advice of a physician but higher doses, often required, require liver function tests for safety.
Ed

john h on 11/13/04 at 15:11 (163840)

Thanks Ed. Did not know there was a no flush niacin. I only tried it once 6 or 7 years ago and as I recall it was for cholesterol. I would guess that some of the manufacturers of statins (one has a patent running out) will add niacin to it and rename it and sell it for big $. As I wrote the TV information was they had found that niacin ups your good cholesterol significantly which statins do not always do. They did not show what amount was used in the study.

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/17/04 at 21:06 (164210)

John:
If one was just relying on Niacin, it has been shown that doses up to 3 grams per day (3000 mg) may be okay as long as liver function tests are being performed. If a statin is being used in conjunction, then the dose of niacin is lowered. I am not sure what the 'ideal' combination is.
Ed