Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

After Surgery Blahs!

Posted by Pat on 11/13/04 at 15:14 (163842)

I had EPF surgeron on 11/3/2004 (removal of the spur and wires put in my heel bone for a stress fracture to improve circulation along with EPF) and I'm basically confinded to my house and I'm going NUTS! I live by myself and I have had friends that have come to stay with me but everything is so hard and my friends basically do one or two things and then think it's a vacation and go out shopping etc. so I'm stuck in the house by myself to do everything. Believe me, I'm happy if someone would make my bed so it's not like I'm demanding but it's so depressing because right now I still have the stitches and can't take a shower (I have some neurological muscle/nerve stuff going on so I don't have the capacity to lift myself off a shower seat with my one good foot), can barely make myself something to eat and carry it in the other room, feel like crap! What a post. Basically I'm just so disgusted at this point I want to cry. I was in pain for 5 months and a cast (for the stress fracture) for almost 8 weeks before the surgery so I'm just so tired at this point it's not funny. Plus I'm worried about the stress fracture healing. I get half the stitches out from my surgery on Monday and the other half the following week. I've called in just about every favor I can from friends to help me to the doctor appointments or to go to the grocery store or whatever and I am just not handling this well. Well, thanks for listening. Enough of my babbling on!

Re: After Surgery Blahs!

Suzanne D. on 11/13/04 at 16:00 (163850)

Pat, I am sorry you are having such a hard time right now. Would it be possible for you to have a home health nurse or caretaker stop in a few times a week to help you? I'm not sure how those services work (recommendations from doctors, perhaps?), but it would be worth checking to see if you might qualify.

Also, I wonder if a nearby church might be able to help you - either in terms of providing some assistance or helping direct you to an avenue of help.

Or perhaps you could inquire with social services as to any help you might receive. I am thinking of the 'Meals on Wheels' programs that I have heard of in the past in which meals were delivered to the homes of those who needed them.

I hope your need for assistance is short-term and that you will find yourself improving day by day. But I know it would be encouraging to you to find help which you could count on. That would give you a certain amount of peace, I'm sure, which would aid in your healing.

In the meantime, I'm glad you have your computer and that you can post here! There are always people who are glad to 'listen' and respond. And that can make a world of difference in how you feel.

Take care, and I wish for you better days ahead,
Suzanne :)

Pat on 11/13/04 at 18:41 (163866)

Thanks Suzanne. I'm just feeling sorry for myself and I know alot of people have it alot worse than I do so I shouldn't complain but after months and months of problems before the surgery by the time the surgery was over I was just so fed up and exhausted it wasn't funny. My sister came down and will help me take a shower tomrorow. That's the worse thing! I feel like such a dirt ball (I guess there are some pluses to living by yourself - LOL!). My insurance won't pay for someone to come in and I really need someone to do minor things (like make the bed or wash clothes or something like that). You know when you sit around the house every little thing bothers you. I go to the doctor on Monday and get half the stitches out and maybe I'll feel like I'm heading in the right direction but right now I just feel like whining as terrible as that sounds.

Kathy G on 11/15/04 at 18:44 (164003)

Pat,

It sounds as though you've had a rough go of it. It seems like you deserve to whine! You know, your doctor may be able to arrange for a housekeeper to come a couple of times a week. Even here in NH, where we don't have many social services, they have community nursing associations who employ 'housekeeping aides' who will come in and do the things that are driving you crazy, like making the bed or washing the clothes, etc.
I say this but I'm not sure they still offer the service; I know they did about fifteen years ago. I don't even know if your state offers such a thing.

Such a long time to be in a cast. And I can only imagine how tired you are of asking people to help but most people don't mind and are glad to help.

What do you do to pass the time? Are you a reader? Do you watch TV? Do handiwork or maybe jigsaw puzzles? Time must really drag for you.

Here's hoping that once the stitches come out you'll feel like you're making more progress.

Re: Kathy

Pat on 11/15/04 at 20:33 (164009)

Thanks for your post. Actually, until last week when I had the surgery I was working up until the day before. Now I'm on sick leave but that isn't going to last forever. Since I live by myself I really don't have much of a choice about going to work but I would just come home and be so exhausted it's not funny. I watch alot of TV and do play on the computer and at night I take Vicodan so I sleep for 10 hours! LOL! I also brought some work home with me but so far I just haven't felt like doing it. I went to the doctor today and he took half the stitches out but last week my foot looked good (a few days after the surgery) and this week there was more swelling and huge bruises on the bottom (the doctor said this was normal for it to take time after surgery) but my poor foot looked terrible! I felt bad for it! LOL! He wants me to start weaning myself off the casts and I did that a little tonight and I'm in alot of pain to the point I'm going to go to bed early (and that's not me). He also doesn't want me to drive until I'm in the walking shoe! I'm off until December 1st and I can probably push things a little fast that but the crappy part about my job is I'm out in the field (at a different accountant's office or place of business) every day and I just feel so worn out. My house isn't that bad (yet) but you know if someone would just make my bed and make me dinner I'd be happy. Of course no one will so I'm just going to have to take it easy. Thanks for letting me WHINE! LOL!

Re: Kathy

Kathy G on 11/16/04 at 09:49 (164036)

Pat,

I don't know anything about the surgery you had but I do know that with, say a broken ankle or sprained ankle, it seems to be a sign of healing when it begins turning the colors of the rainbow. It seems that it looks a whole lot worse when it's actually getting better. If the doctor says it's healing, it probably is.

It's tough for anyone to concentrate when they are in pain, so I can imagine you haven't felt like doing any work you brought home. Take it easy and don't push yourself too hard and let nature take its course and heal you.

It's too bad your job requires a lot of field work but hopefully when you go back, you'll be feeling better. In the meantime, be kind to yourself and wean yourself off the casts gradually.

Keep us posted!