Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How Does One Function With All The Pain

Posted by Michael on 11/14/04 at 19:38 (163923)

Hello how does one function with all the pain PF gives?? Is your PF pain 24/7 where you have pain ALL the time with little or no relief? Michael

Re: How Does One Function With All The Pain

KathyB on 11/15/04 at 04:27 (163949)

My PF pain was most intense in the morning when my feet first hit the floor. After my first visit to the DR I was told no more barefoot, even in the morning. That didnt relieve the pain, it would come again after sitting for a while then walking. He injected my heel which I have to say was the most painful thing I have ever felt. (I've given birth twice with no pain meds) But about three days after the injection I felt great, no pain anytime.

Painfree was great except I didnt take into consideration why I had the pain in the first place. I kept walking barefoot, didnt change the type of shoes I was wearing, or keep any return visits to my DR.

A few months later I started having alot of pain in my other foot under my toes. Returned to the Dr and his diagnosis was a Neuroma. Again with the awful injections. The neuroma didnt respond to the injections (3) so surgery was the answer.

Surgery went well except for putting all my weight on my other foot made my PF flare up again. Off for another injection.

Well about two weeks ago while walking up the stairs my foot slipped and I felt an awful pain near my heel. The pain worsened after a few days. I consulted a OS and he told me that I had ruptured my Plantar Fascia. That the injections had probably thinned the tendon leading to a rupture. Now Im in a cast and in real pain.

Sorry for rambling so, but I really wanted to get across that we need to address why were in pain and try and correct that before resorting to the injections. They didnt serve me very well in the long term. I did get some pain relief from them but it just made things worse in the end.

Place on 11/15/04 at 09:30 (163962)

Drugs and adaptations. Find out what works to get rid of the pain or lesson it. Many things work for different people, ice, heat, massage, rest, stretching, surgery, wheelchairs, quiting jobs. Most important is finding the right doc. IF you can I would ask around to find the best one. I hate to say but the best ones are booked for weeks. It is worth the wait.

Buck T. on 11/15/04 at 16:15 (163997)

Hi Michael: Have your e-mail address somewhere and will give you a comeback. Sincerely, Buck T.

Re: My Email

Michael on 11/15/04 at 18:42 (164002)

Here is my email (email removed) Thanks, Michael

Re: Michael

Kathy G on 11/16/04 at 10:14 (164045)

I'm sorry if I don't recall your prior posts but I take it you've read the Heel Pain Book, etc? I don't know how you cope with the pain. There were days all I could do was take a pain meds (I take Phrenellin, a seldom-prescribed combination of Butabital and Tylenol. It's much like Fiorinal.)
It wouldn't cut out the pain but it would at least dull it. Of course, I wasn't working at the time and never took it unless I knew I didn't have to drive.

Coping with pain is difficult and some days it's harder than others because it really wears you down. I guess keeping your mind occupied helps to some degree and knowing that it won't last forever, or at least that it will become less, certainly gives you hope.

Has your doctor given you anything for pain? Can you sleep at night? I'm so sorry you're having a hard time and sorry that I can't offer any good solutions.

Julie on 1/16/05 at 03:54 (167312)

Michael, you've been upset by Steve's, Linda's, and my comments yesterday. I can understand that. Please be sure, though, that none of us wants to see you go. We, and others, have been trying to help you. But, speaking for myself it is frustrating, when I've given time, thought, and energy to writing a post to help someone and there is no response.

A few days ago I replied to your post asking 'how does one deal with the PAIN?'. I spent a good 20 minutes describing how I myself have dealt with my pain: pain so intense that it brought me, screaming, to my knees. I told you that after several tries, I was now on medication that controls the pain and allows me to get on with my life. I advised you to see your pain management doctor and work with him until you have a level of medication that controls your pain. It is possible.

Your response was to ask me to give you more detail about my pain: its location, how long, what medication was I taking. I answered the questions, but both the questions and the answers are irrelevant to your situation. A more appropriate response would have been 'Thank you, Julie: I am going to call my pain management doctor today' or something similar.

I have just done a search on your name. A number of people have made posts in their attempt to help you: Steve, Linda, Dorothy, myself, Brian, Ralph, Jeff, and others. You haven't responded to them, or given any indication that you have followed up any of the suggestions.

I'm going to say something now that you will find blunt, and probably won't like. Sometimes people get attached to their pain, because they have learned that it brings them sympathy and attention. It is very difficult to help such people - because they do not really want to be helped. They want attention and sympathy.

I am not saying that you are such a person, so you don't have to apply my words to yourself. But perhaps you could use them to look at yourself and ask yourself if you really want help. If you do, then make an effort to get it. Follow up some of the suggestions you've had here. As Brian and I suggested, go back to your pain management doc and be specific about your pain level. Keep persisting until you get the medication you need. Once your pain level has dropped you will be able to do more. As Steve suggested, do a search on Henry C and find out about his solution: perhaps it will work for you. Do as Linda suggested and read Doctor Sarno's book: you may find it relevant to your situation. Do as Dorothy suggested and investigate counselling for yourself and your wife: pain has clearly depressed both of you.

And if you do any or all of these things, tell us! We'll be glad to know.

And now I will get away from my computer, where I should not be sitting, but where I have spent half an hour writing this to you. I would not have done that if I did not care about you and want to be of some use to you. It's up to you whether you want to use what I, and the others, have said, to help yourself.

Ralph on 1/16/05 at 10:18 (167332)

Why is it that when someone announces that 'this is my last or final post here', done usually out of anger or hurt or both, that the rest of the people on this board immediately feel the need for self justification and self examination?

As far as I can tell and the records show, no one that responded to any of Michaels posts set out to hurt him. The fact is that Steve, Linda, Dorothy, Brian, Jeff, Julie, myself and anyone else who responded to his posts set forth information that they thought would be helpful.

The doctors and people here are not God's. We come here because we share a common problem, and because we seek information from others who are also share the same or a similar disorder.

We cannot provide guaranteed cures for someone's ill any more than we can fix the world's problems, nor can we be responsible to make someone take action on the information that is provided to them. In addition, we cannot hold them here against their will and because we cannot do these things doesn't make us failures in our attempts to provide help or make us uncaring individuals. If we've done the right things we have nothing to justify or explain.

Michael is right when he says we don't have any idea what is going on in his life or his home or between he and his wife or with him physically or mentally, but he is wrong when he things the doctors and people on this site don't care about him. If we didn't care, he would have gotten no response.

We've done all we can for Michael, the rest is up to him. He can choose to try some of the advice given or leave it, he can continue to post or walk away. It's really his choice because these things are under his control not ours. It's time to let him decide what he wants to do and time for us to stop justifying our good intentions.

We did a good job people. If Michael walks, he walks of his own free will not because of what anyone here said.

Julie on 1/16/05 at 12:27 (167342)

I don't think any of us felt the need for self-justification or self-examination, Ralph. I certainly didn't: I made my post in response to his 'goodbye' because I would like him to be clear about what he has been doing. I think that Steve, Linda and Dorothy probably felt the same, and made their efforts for the same reasons.

I agree with you that we did a good job, and that if he leaves it will be his decision, for which we are not responsible. But it's just possible that holding the mirror up to him might make a difference and might make him look at himself and at his motivations. It might, just might, give him a little push towards the turning point that he has got to reach if he is to help himself.

Let's wait and see what Michael makes of what has been said to him. If he wants real help he will return. If he wants only attention and 'sympathy', he has probably gone already. I hope for the former, for his sake.

Ralph on 1/16/05 at 16:20 (167361)

Julie,
I don't think any of us knows what Michael has been doing. All we know is the information he has provided to us in his posts. Personally I think its
the tip of the iceberg and there is far more beneath the surface than what has been exposed above it.

When shown a mirror the person who suffers from anorexia still sees themselves as fat. It takes much more than a look in the mirror to help them.

I think Michael's problems far exceed the help that anyone here can provide. We can only offer suggestions which was done by several kind people with his interest at heart. Hopefully Michael and his wife will pick up on the many suggestions that were made, and seek the professional help needed either within their community or outside of it.