Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

eswt completed

Posted by tyshea on 11/15/04 at 22:46 (164017)

I had eswt done today at 9am i must say it was nothing like i thought it was going to be, i would say the most painful part of the procedure was when they had to numb my feet with the needles. once we got in the operating room the actual procedure was very painless, i did have a problem with my right foot when they started, it wasnt numb enough but they put some more pain meds in and after that everything was fine. I got both of my feet done was out by 11am. i went home went to the supermarket walk around my feet were and are still very numb and i am at work right know and its 11pm i kinda think i will have pain in and around my heel and arch area but other than that it is very bearable considering i already had pain.

Re: eswt completed

Connie H. on 11/16/04 at 10:03 (164040)

Thanks for reporting!! Please keep us updated--I'm very interested in how it goes for you.

Dr. Z on 11/16/04 at 17:20 (164075)

Hi Tyshea,
I was was standing with Dr. Tursi yesterday. Remember me ? Dr. Z ( Zuckerman.

kathy t on 11/16/04 at 17:57 (164078)

Tyshea, Hang in there it is worth it. Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck

Linda G on 11/16/04 at 18:14 (164082)

I had eswt done 6 weeks ago and am still experiencing soreness in my foot. there are times when it is pain free but after walking or at the end of the day it is sore and when I get up from sitting or sleeping. Has anyone else had this and will it go away soon or did it just not work for me. thanks

Lynn F. on 11/16/04 at 22:51 (164137)

Linda - I'm at 6 1/2 weeks and like yourself, I begin to wonder if I'm the one exception who didn't work for. But my dr, along with many others who post here, say I need to give it more time and that I should be 50% better at 12 weeks. So we're halfway there. I too have more pain late in the day and first thing in the a.m. I think I spend most of my time these days just trying to figure out footwear that will allow me to walk across the room without wanting to scream. I find that non-weight bearing stretches and moist heat provide the most relief. It's easy to get discouraged during this time but hang in there and try to give it some time. Feel better.

kathy t on 11/17/04 at 10:17 (164160)

Dear Linda,
If you are somewhat better dont get discouraged,when they say it really does take 12wks, believe it. I am at 8wks and 5wks,everyday I see improvement.
If it gets bad take tylenol(NO antinflamitory sp),warm baths, elevate feet.
Hang in there.............kathy t

Joe W on 11/17/04 at 13:27 (164175)

Thanks Tina, what is a resonable fee for this? I found a Dr. Klein on line that does it in Detroit for $699. he was the first in Michigan to do the procedure.

Tina H on 11/17/04 at 18:37 (164198)

Joe, I really don't know what a reasonable fee is but I do know that my doctor performed the ESWT at slightly over her cost. She charged me $500.00 for the one high Energy session and that included everything. Others have gotten it for around this price as well and unfortunately there are some who have paid thousands of dollars out of pocket. Five thousand dollars out of pocket seems like highway robbery to me! Let us know how you make out. Tina

john on 11/17/04 at 19:44 (164207)

Shop around $699 is too much for the podiatrist to charge for 18 minutes of work and an ankle block. You can probably find a United Shockwave podiatrist who should be willing to perform the procedure for much less. I'll bet if you visit Dr. Davis he would charge you much less than $699 and you would get to see a great part of the country.

However, you should verify that your insurance doesn't cover the procedure so that United will give you the service for free. Otherwise, your copays and deductibles might eat you alive.

Re: eswt completed - cost -

Lori S. on 11/18/04 at 00:53 (164218)

I only paid $500 for high energy with the Dornier Epos, with the Ossatron its more because you have to be sedated, and usually in a hospital setting/surgical setting. I think its pretty normal cost for this procedure right now for the whole thing. That is per foot. I would however gladly pay it again. I have shown alot of improvement. Around the 4 - 5 week post eswt I was in really bad shape, but kept thinking it is all a part of healing. Right now I would say my feet are left-60 percent better and right-40 to 50 percent better and I am 7 weeks post eswt. I can walk!..... I mean I can walk in a store for more than a couple minutes, I went christmas shopping out of town on saturday, I was sure I would be unable to walk sunday. But.... I could,, and with very little pain. Before eswt, I would have been down for a couple days... and in tears, living on pain meds. I feel like I have been released from a cage,,, it gets soo boring, lonely when you are controlled by your feet.
Best wishes on your procedure, and hoping you find relief,

Re: eswt completed - cost -

Tina H on 11/18/04 at 07:12 (164240)

Hi Lori, Being able to shop is great! I agree, although I sure my husband has a different opinion about the shopping aspect! Glad to hear you are still improving. So am I. I actually had 2 pain free days this week, but I was cramming for a test those two days, now that I'm back to the usual routine, I still have pain but it's tolerable. Tina